Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Thread Basting My Quilt Sandwich for FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/thread-basting-my-quilt-sandwich-fmq-t91013.html)

ckcowl 01-17-2011 05:02 AM

great tute!
i agree with thread basting- that is how i always do it too. i hate dealing with all those safety pins; it all just holds together better when thread basted. i 've never had luck with the sprays, wind up still thread basting so consider it a waste of time and money...but that's just me

azwendyg 01-17-2011 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by auntlucy
Any particular reason that you use mdf boards rather than wood boards? Is each board 8 plus feet long? Thanks for the great pictures and instructions.

I bought the mdf boards because they were much less expensive and much straighter than solid wood that I could find, and won't warp over time. In order for me to keep everything straight when rolling the top and backing on the boards, I figured I'd need perfectly straight boards to start with. It seems like 4" - 6" strips of 5/8 or 3/4 plywood would also work well if you happen to have that on hand. The flannel covering is stapled on and works a lot like a design board in that the fabric kind of naturally adheres to it when you smooth it onto the flannel; no need for any pins to hold your quilt fabric on the boards.

The boards I used here are 8 feet long, but I have a shorter, 5 foot, set that fits on my cutting table for smaller quilts. It works best to use boards that are just a little longer than your quilt is wide.

Hope this answers your questions...

quilt3311 01-17-2011 05:13 AM

thanks for sharing

quilter1 01-17-2011 05:33 AM

I have used this method with great success. I have not put the flannel on the boards though- what a great idea. It will stop the quilt from sliding off the board. I watched the Sharon Schamber tute on UTube and now baste my quilts this way, for hand quilting or machine quilting. I got 2 sets of MDF in different lengths, at Home Depot and store them in a closet. I just use regular cotton thread for basting. This method is easy and saves crawling all over the floor.

yetta 01-17-2011 05:36 AM

thank you forthe instructions,your quilt is beautiful

sik1010 01-17-2011 05:41 AM

Your quilt is beautiful, and thanks for the great instructions!

sandpat 01-17-2011 06:35 AM

Great tute with so many helpful pics! thanks so much for sharing your way. I'll have to try it!

anicra 01-17-2011 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Beautiful quilt. Your tute is great. This is the only method I use since I saw the Sharon Schambers video on youtube.com about 2 years ago. I have severe knee problems and being able to sit at the table and baste is just wonderful.

Basting my convergence quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162290[/ATTACH]

duckydo 01-17-2011 07:21 AM

I am brain dead this morning, what is MDF covered with flannel? Love the tute that is a great idea

azwendyg 01-17-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo
I am brain dead this morning, what is MDF covered with flannel? Love the tute that is a great idea

That is the kind of board I went to Home Depot to get, then wrapped with flannel and stapled it on to use to roll the quilt top and backing pieces on. (MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard)