Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Tutorial: Double Wedding without the Ring (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/tutorial-double-wedding-without-ring-t111194.html)

ggreenridley 03-28-2011 08:35 AM

Thanks

H R Peoples 03-28-2011 08:58 AM

www.phillipsfiberart.com has a great sale on the arc templates right now.

bobbie1 03-28-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mimee4
I checked out Kay Wood's video - WOW! It looks soooo easy. I will have to try this. Thanks for this thread.

Every time I clicked on link, Kaye Wood is doing "unusual rail fence". What am I missing????? I must be doing something wrong.

jillaine 03-28-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by bobbie1

Originally Posted by mimee4
I checked out Kay Wood's video - WOW! It looks soooo easy. I will have to try this. Thanks for this thread.

Every time I clicked on link, Kaye Wood is doing "unusual rail fence". What am I missing????? I must be doing something wrong.

Bobbie,

Look at the right-side of the web page when you get there; you'll notice a pull-down/scroll bar thingy; scroll that down until you see:

"The Rings that Bind"

Click on that.

jeaninmaine 03-28-2011 12:31 PM

Boy if you put a square of fabric in there, it'd look like a cathedral window.

Thanks for the tutorial.

Eileen 03-28-2011 02:57 PM

Wow. That makes it look easy. Bookmarked it for a later quilt. Thanks for the info.

quilter53 03-31-2011 02:30 PM

I have a question about how to sew the blocks together. I am making jean circles. Do I make the square a little smaller or a little larger than my circle? also, when sewing together, do I press the seams open and sew all the way to the edge of circle and over the opened seam of the circle seam before or to the edge of the flap. Hope this makes sense.

quilter53 03-31-2011 03:30 PM

Also, how do you make the circles. I used a cardboard circle from the bottom of a frozen pizza. lol It works but not the best choice. I love the circle majic cutter from Missouri Star Quilts but don't really want to spend the money. It would take all the guess work out.

jillaine 03-31-2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by quilter53
I have a question about how to sew the blocks together. I am making jean circles. Do I make the square a little smaller or a little larger than my circle? also, when sewing together, do I press the seams open and sew all the way to the edge of circle and over the opened seam of the circle seam before or to the edge of the flap. Hope this makes sense.

Were you able to download and read the PDF? Or view any of the video tutorials linked to in the first or subsequent posts? It explains the first part of your question. (The square should fit INSIDE the circle.)

None of the tutorials address directly your second question, which I have wondered about as well-- whether to sew all the way to the edge of the circle. I tried a few different approaches. But what you SHOULDN'T have is an "open seam of the circle seam"-- yes I know what you're describing. I.e, there should be no gap. Your stitching might come right up to the edge of the intersection (if you sew all the way to the edge of the circle)

jillaine 03-31-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by quilter53
Also, how do you make the circles. I used a cardboard circle from the bottom of a frozen pizza. lol It works but not the best choice. I love the circle majic cutter from Missouri Star Quilts but don't really want to spend the money. It would take all the guess work out.

I'm with you re: spending money on these commercial templates. I've been shocked at how expensive they are-- whether it's this one or some other quilt ruler/template. (I really want Kaye Wood's diamond set, but it's $80 !!!) That said, I'm sitting here ripping out seams and top stitching of this project because it's not measuring out right.

Lesson: a) it might be worth the investment; b) if you don't want to spend the money, then spend the time trying to recreate the commercial template as best you can. If you watch the video carefully, you should be able to figure it out enough to make your own.

The problem I have with cardboard (which I have frequently used over the years) is that the rotary cutter eventually cuts away minute amounts that cumulatively reduce the size of your template.

-- Jillaine