Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Tutorial on Hickory Nut quilt blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/tutorial-hickory-nut-quilt-blocks-t27345.html)

Evelynquilts 08-26-2015 05:01 AM

Question??? once I make the hexagons. Can they be joined by hand? if so how would I sew them together?

stitch678 08-27-2015 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Evelynquilts (Post 7297926)
Question??? once I make the hexagons. Can they be joined by hand? if so how would I sew them together?

Evelyn, check the page before this one (20) , you will see they can be handsewn. My preferred method is whip stitch from back ( right sides together, in other words).

Evelynquilts 08-27-2015 01:48 AM

Thank you :)

BabsO 10-13-2015 05:26 AM

love this . . . thanks for posting . . .

Greenheron 10-25-2015 07:40 AM

Thank you for your excellent tutorial. I had seen this pattern but didn't know the name or method. (Just experimenting I would have made a bollix and not a hexagon. :rolleyes:)

sprice 10-25-2015 08:50 AM

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Eddie. Your work is so neat. Just proves there is always something new under the sun!

Geri B 10-26-2015 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 7355333)
Thank you for your excellent tutorial. I had seen this pattern but didn't know the name or method. (Just experimenting I would have made a bollix and not a hexagon. :rolleyes:)

There is also a pattern for doing this framed hex without using the layers and flip over......just sewing half hexies around a center one(same size) as the frame...just piecing, like any block......sorry right now don't recall name of it, but I do know F&P, among others have demoed it.....I'm sure someone here has a site addy for it.....

NoraB 03-22-2017 08:53 AM

Eddie, thanks again for the great tutorial. I finally purchased the template. I think I got the medium. I'm so excited to open the package......but I'm "scared" to open the package. You make it look so easy. You had mentioned you were planning on making a Christmas quilt. Could you post a picture? I need inspiration. And, thank you to whomever on page 20 indicated how to stitch them together by hand. I like to do stuff while traveling in the car......my plan is to make a box of these puppies and then sew them by hand while I'm in the car. Not sure if it will work, but I am thinking this will also help me utilize those smaller pieces of batting that are always left-over. I also appreciate the Hickory Hill Quilt store.......got the templates quickly and no problems at all. I'd love to visit there sometime. Eddie, you are lucky to be close! Hope you are happily quilting and sewing in lovely Arkansas! Thanks again everyone! I'm going to open the package right.....now.......!

Tiggersmom 08-14-2018 06:41 PM

I just saw this tutorial After I saw the above pic on Pinterest!
Since this was posted in 2009 I thought the shop would be closed, but No! So I ordered the two smaller sizes.......Happy Birthday to me.

PS; This really needs to be brought up to the front and stapled there!

NoraB 08-15-2018 07:35 AM

Tiggersmom - good luck with your new templates. I had ordered the big ones and ended up making one Project Linus quilt. It turned out cute (picture somewhere on my camera). I loved making the hexies and loved that I could use my left-over batting scraps. The hardest part for me was stitching those together. I used a zig-zag stitch kind of big. But, I'm thinking I might try a smaller zig-zag width or possibly "clear" thread. It was a little hard to sew them all together. I might get industrious and try to hand sew them together. That might be the best alternative. But, they are addictive! I've always got a box of fabric cut and batting cut.....so I can sew those anytime!

Good luck with them and let us know how they are working for you and what you are doing with them!