Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Tutorial on Hickory Nut quilt blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/tutorial-hickory-nut-quilt-blocks-t27345.html)

Connie Hadba 11-09-2009 07:16 AM

Eddie,
This is a great tutorial. I'll have to add this block to my very long list of projects to do. I sent an e-mail to your quilt shop asking about prices and if they shipped. Their kind answer came to me today. For those of you who are curious, here is what they sent me.

Prices quoted Nov. 9, 2009
Small - $6.25/set
Large - $8.75/set
Extra Large - 20.00/set
Shipping and handling - $7.50 to Connecticut where my son lives.

Connie

Deb watkins 11-12-2009 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Several members here bought the Hickory Nut templates, so I thought I'd post a tutorial on how to make the blocks. Below is a pic of a table topper I made using the Small template set, but the same general construction methods apply if you're making the Small, Medium, or Large blocks.

I've got 26 pics to show, so bear with me while I get all the steps posted!

I guess I must really be missing something, I can see how to do each block, but don't see how they are connected together.

Eddie 11-12-2009 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins

Several members here bought the Hickory Nut templates, so I thought I'd post a tutorial on how to make the blocks. Below is a pic of a table topper I made using the Small template set, but the same general construction methods apply if you're making the Small, Medium, or Large blocks.

I guess I must really be missing something, I can see how to do each block, but don't see how they are connected together.

Hi Deb,

After you get the blocks made, you simply but the edges together and do a zigzag stitch across where they are butted together in order to join them.

Deb watkins 11-13-2009 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins

Hi Deb,

After you get the blocks made, you simply but the edges together and do a zigzag stitch across where they are butted together in order to join them.

Thanks, I saw where you stated that, but I didn't see it when I looked. I am anxious to start this!!! And on another note, for those of us who are mathematical challenged, ( or just not so good at) the hst that you did.... perhaps a cheat sheet that indicates....a 10 in block will give you four (whatever size they are) hst. A 9 in block, an 8 in block......

Eddie 11-13-2009 05:41 PM

Hi Deb,

I have plans to make at least 3 more quilts for Christmas gifts, and plan to do one with that HST method of sewing 2 layer cakes pieces together, so will do a quick tutorial on it when I do it and post it here.

LucyInTheSky 11-18-2009 05:14 PM

I am (sort of) making a Grandmother's flower garden (I've made 2 flowers...in 4 years...) and this seems a zillion or times easier than English paper piecing... might scrap the first idea and do the quilt this way.

Thanks for the tutorial!

STAR 11-19-2009 06:17 AM

Ok so once you zigzag them all together they can make a quilt as is??
I really like them and you did a great job Eddie! i will have to get those templates in the future.

Eddie 11-19-2009 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by STAR
I really like them and you did a great job Eddie! i will have to get those templates in the future.

Yes, it's a "quilt as you go" project, so once they are connected together, you're done!

Skeat 11-19-2009 11:04 AM

Excellent Tute! Such a neat idea w/this too!! Thanks for sharing!! Skeat

STAR 11-19-2009 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by STAR

Yes, it's a "quilt as you go" project, so once they are connected together, you're done!

AWESOME!!!! maybe I will ask DH to put this on my x-mas list :wink: or for my birthday!!!