Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap Rug

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I don't really cut strips. I have enough edges and such leftover. An inch would be good though.

what diameter of clothesline do you buy? I have seen 1/4" and 3/8". Also, I am curious if you have any pictures of bowls or baskets?

darn, I was also going to ask if you use a "triple" stitch zig zag? these are so awesome, I really want to make one (or at least start another WIP!)

Okay, now I sent my dh off to Walmart to buy the clothline for this project...

He calls me from the store. "Honey, they are all out."
    "What do you mean they're out?"
    "I mean I'm standing here looking at a huge empty space where they are supposed to be"
    "Well do they have something a little different that would work the same"
    "I can see the labels one says, cotton, one says nylon"
    (Me cutting him off) "The nylon one, get the nylon one!"
    "I told you, they are all out."
    "What do you mean they are all out? You just said Nylon"
    "The tag is here but there in nothing on the shelves" (noise of banging on a empty shelving)
    "I don't understand, it's rained for a month straight, who is buying all the clothesline?"
    "I don't know"
    "Well.... It's okay, I'm not mad... Isn't there someplace else you could get it?"
    "Not up this way."

And so it goes, so I just had to tell you that a whole big bunch of people much have seen your how to, and hence the run on clothesline! :D

Great tutorial! Great idea.

I have been wanting to make a rug from scraps for a long time, but I hadn't thought of it this way! What I had in mind was one of the braided rugs that you sew together or one of the kind you sorta "crochet" together with a tool called a toothbrush needle or tool. Your idea is MUCH better! I think I have a pack of this clothesline somewhere in my house....I HOPE! I was just out today and wish I'd seen this post sooner! If I don't have clothesline, I have some up on the porch I may have to take down!!!! :shock: Well, I probably won't go take it down because I have a lot to do, but I want to start one of these soon!

Just think: REALLY small ones for coasters as Christmas gifts...and matching placemats...You could even turn it into a hat or a bag! I know you said basket! OH, I get excited way too easily! :D Thank you for sharing this cool project!!!!

I found my clothesline, and it is the rest of what I didn't use outside, so I have no label on it.

Is it the kind with the blue papery stuff inside? I think this is the right kind??????????

As long as you can sew through it.

Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    As long as you can sew through it.
    It should be fine. I went in to try it, but I ended up working on my Halloween stash dolls. Soon! Thanks again for this wonderful tutorial!!

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    This look like fun!

I've started a new "scrap bin" just for the longer skinnier pieces I would normally throw away just for a rug!! Now i just have to get the clothesline stuff :wink:

I have been searching everywhere for cotton clothesline. Target, WalMart didn't have any. I found some polyester content at Lowe's. Where do you buy the cotton stuff?

Walmart but if you can sew through it that is all that matters.

I went looking for the rope as well. Can't find it where I live, and every where I went they looked at me like I had two heads when I explained what I was looking for. We don't have a Walmart, the closest one is over 3 hours away. :(

The piping in the upholstery department works too. That you buy by the yard.

Mary

THANK YOU!!!! I was going to PM you and ask how to do this. I want to make one for our kitchen since Kyia scratched the on in there now.

Thanks again. Can't wait to try it.

Kyia

What a great idea, a good way to use scraps and ugly fabric. Dollar stores sometimes have the clothesline. People buy this rope for all kinds of stuff and they always run out. Someone said try K-mart. Our walmart has it ,but runs out all the time. I am thinking of trying the hardware stores.

What a great idea! Thanks for taking the time to share your tutorial with us, Mary. I'm buying some clothesline the next time I'm in Walmart. :D

Blog Entries
    Love the rug. It brings back memories of my Grandmother when I was little. Watching her make rag rugs and yarn rag rugs. use to take a wooden spool of therd put 4 nails in it gave me some old left over yarn while she did her rugs by hand. So we would be both working on one.

Mary,
    Thanks for the directions of a great looking rug!!! Just a couple of quetions....Do you drop the "feed dogs" when you stitch? Also, how does the fabric wrapped cord stay in place? Do you machine stitch or hand stitch as you go around with it? -Pat

Machine and no I do not drop the feed dogs.

Thanks so much for this...and I love the idea of coasters for gifts. Hope I can find some of this fast disappearing clothesline so I can try this too. :? PLEASE everyone post pictures of your finished rugs!!!! I can't wait to see them. :D

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    i will hopefully take a class in November for making a scrap basket made from the same cording! It looks really neat and I'll a picture if I'm able to do the class!

You all do know that IF I do a craft fair next year, I will have some of these on my table too! lol

How big an IF is that really. The rug is a great way to use up scraps and the ugly "what was I thinking" fabric. The hard part is keeping it flat.

pal
    I've looked everywhere - that cotton clothesline is nowhere to be found!

The closest thing to it seems to be 100 percent cotton venetian blind cording - and that feels to dense. Wal-mart doesn't seem to stock it anymore, and the hardware stores and home improvement stores all have nylon cording. Woe is me!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast