Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt

Blog Entries
    Yes and yes, to both your ideas. Just remember the width of your row determines the length of your cut. Mine were 8 1/2 inch squares. But you can cut smaller squares from fewer rows. Did that make sense?

You are the creator/designer. Be sure to post pictures.

What a fabulous idea. No patterns. No instructions. Just sew!!

Thank you for this tutorial! I am taking beginning sewing/quilting classes this summer and before they start, I have been getting ansy. So, I picked up a jelly roll that my local quilt store made up and had on sale for $15. I have not yet put the borders on since I want to take it to my quilt shop for their suggestions for border fabric.
    My MIL saw me working on this and she fell in love with it. She has some issues with memory, so she kept forgetting that she'd seen it and tell me again how pretty it was! lol It was great. I think she complimented it over 15 times. So, it's obviously meant to be her birthday present. :) (She particularly liked the kittens peeking strips. I need to find more of that!)

The only boo boo I think I made was that I wasn't as careful as I should have been, so I may have confused which sides to join a time or two, but I still think it looks nice.

Thanks again for this idea!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does anyone know the name of the fabric with the kittens on it? I would like to get some more to make her a matching pillowcase.

If your local qs made the jelly roll, they should have that fabric on the bolt. Take it in and show them what you have done. They can help you find the fabric you need.
    I love it, by the way. Awesome colors.

Quote Originally Posted by johnette
    If your local qs made the jelly roll, they should have that fabric on the bolt. Take it in and show them what you have done. They can help you find the fabric you need.
    I love it, by the way. Awesome colors.
    Of course! That's logical. :) I go for a machine applique class tomorrow, so I'll ask them then.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

I have read every post to this thread (didn't want to miss a thing!) and LOVE this idea and LOVED the pics of the finished quilt tops - great job!!

Blog Entries
    Judy, Your quilt looks great. Aren't these fun and fast? I really like the colors and those kitties are so cute peeking out.

I have one in batiks I just did from a JR that WalMart had marked down when they closed the fabric department. Some of my fabrics "touch" more than I like in this one but that's OK. I found a beautiful batik for the back (on sale, of course). I've done 4 so far and I think that 3 of them are going to be given to the assault crises center. My sister loved the 4th one so it's going to be hers.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    Judy, Your quilt looks great. Aren't these fun and fast? I really like the colors and those kitties are so cute peeking out.

I have one in batiks I just did from a JR that WalMart had marked down when they closed the fabric department. Some of my fabrics "touch" more than I like in this one but that's OK. I found a beautiful batik for the back (on sale, of course). I've done 4 so far and I think that 3 of them are going to be given to the assault crises center. My sister loved the 4th one so it's going to be hers.
    Thank you. :) I think that's wonderful that you have some designated for charity. I'm thinking about making one for the wounded veterans project. My hope is that I can find enough patriotic or red, white, and blue fabric on sale after the 4th and maybe make my own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy in Waco
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk

Thank you. :) I think that's wonderful that you have some designated for charity. I'm thinking about making one for the wounded veterans project. My hope is that I can find enough patriotic or red, white, and blue fabric on sale after the 4th and maybe make my own.
    That's a great idea. You've given me an idea - I'm going to cut any left over R/W/B fabric into 2 1/5" strips and save them up until I get 40 and make one too. I'm thinking that they should be maybe 20 inches or longer? What do you think? That would give a good variety so that the strips don't 'touch' as much. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to share strips but I won't get to this until mid August.

Blog Entries
    I have just bought four jelly rolls and now I know what I can do with the one for my Great Granddaughter. It is called You Bug Me.

Thanks a million.

Thanks so much for sharing this great fast quilt. I had a lot of leftover fabric from a feather star quilt I just finished, so I cut 42 2 1/2"in strips and put it together in no time. It measures 56 x 63. My Husband saw it and decided he wanted it for his camping trailer. I am putting borders on it to make it a little larger. I will post pic's when I finish the borders.

I plan on making several more of these for graduations,birthdays and charity quilts. What an inspiration you have been for all of us.

I found this information that explains the quilts of valor program if anyone else is interested. It looks like a wonderful organization and a great way to put our quilting to a great cause. http://www.qovf.org/

You are a generous person to offer the fabric, thank you, but I'm finding plenty of what I want. :)

I'll keep my eyes open for jelly rolls with R/W/B and let people know when I find some on sale.

I had my first beginning quilt class today and it was a lot of fun!

As a new quilter, who has only done wall hanging quilts for quick gratification (and fear of huge projects), this is perfect. Thank you and bless you for posting this tutorial. I am going to give this one a try as soon as possible.

Sharon,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!! It's soooo much fun and you will make great friends!
    Glad you were inspired to give this one a go. I've really been rewarded to see so many get so much pleasure from this simple idea.
    Can't wait to see your finished quilt if you decide to share a picture!
    Happy quilting!
    Robin

Just in case anyone wants to print out instructions for "Super Fast Jelly-Roll Quilt"

what a fun idea! Thanks for sharing!

That is really neat .thanks sharing , I have a extra jelly roll and I am going to try that .And see if mine turns out as good as yous did.

I am hoping to see some more pictures on this thread. (Im)patiently waiting. :)

I think it's because they are so fast and easy, we've given them all away! I have one left at home and will try and get a picture of it ASAP! Thanks! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by fromthenestdesigns
    I think it's because they are so fast and easy, we've given them all away! I have one left at home and will try and get a picture of it ASAP! Thanks! :thumbup:
    Well....drum roll please! (pun intended) Hope you like it!

Here is my very first Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt
    Name:  Attachment-75091.jpe
Views: 531
Size:  118.3 KB

Blog Entries
    I just did one today also and was wondering if you need to alternate sides you sew up. I had two material really bunch up.

Quote Originally Posted by newquilter10
    I just did one today also and was wondering if you need to alternate sides you sew up. I had two material really bunch up.
    I've never had a problem with it, but just do what ever you think best. Remember....this quilt has no rules!!! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    It still looks fine and am anxious to get the fabric for the two borders, the batting and some material for the back. I will get a picture of just the center square on here tomorrow, if I can.

I am at work right now started it this morning,but when I finish the quilt I have to get thst picture thing figured out. Getting discusted at it.

I am at work right now started it this morning,but when I finish the quilt I have to get thst picture thing figured out. Getting discusted at it.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast