Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice on RV/Camper bedding >

Advice on RV/Camper bedding

Advice on RV/Camper bedding

Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 AM

Default Advice on RV/Camper bedding

Hello all, I know there are a bunch of you out there who take your quilting along with you in your RV or camper; so I thought I'd put my question to you here on the board. The mattress in my camper is extremely firm. Firm to the point of pain, after 4-6 hours in the bed. We can't afford to buy a whole new mattress. What I'm looking for is some advice on something else we may be able to put on top of the mattress to sofften it up a bit. I don't put a lot of stock in those foam things (sort of "corrugated") that you can buy in Wal-Mart, etc. We have one of those on our regular bed (which even has a pillow top), and I'm not so sure it helps that much. If there is a particular type of foam or some other material that is available, what exactly do any of you recommend? What density is it? what material is it? what price range are we talking about? I also don't need to add height to the bed. It's already plenty high. Thank you all so much for your input.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I recommend going to Amazon and searching for "mattress topper". A lot of different ones come up, and you can read the reviews to find out which ones are good. From a brief scan, it looks to me as if the Visco and ViscO2 get the best reviews.

Once I do a search on Amazon, I usually choose a department and then sort the results by average customer review. That typically gets me the top 5 selections or so to research for myself.

Here's a link to one that I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Density-Elasti.../dp/B004AR5X92
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

We purchased a foam topper that is 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick. It's the same on both sides - it helped a LOT! I think a regular sized one cost about $50 at Big Lots in Florida.

Don't remember the name of it, though.

Two cautions about it: The packaging said to let it 'relax' and air out for a day or so before using it.

It's flammable and emits bad gases if it catches on fire.

I tend to have allergies, and it didn't seem to bother my breathing any when we were using it.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:04 AM

Wal mart sells a Memory foam topper. We paid $110.00 for a queen size. We placed it on top of our conventional mattress and it worked great. We now have it on top of our Temperpedic bed.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM

So far we have bought 3 mattress toppers for our camper. Got them all at WalMart, 2-3"thick and they work just fine. The last one has lasted 5yrs. we keep them stored in the camper.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Wal mart sells a Memory foam topper. We paid $110.00 for a queen size. We placed it on top of our conventional mattress and it worked great. We now have it on top of our Temperpedic bed.
Do you find the memory foam warm? When camping in hot weather, I don't want to add heat to the bed.
Thank you for your input!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
We purchased a foam topper that is 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick. It's the same on both sides - it helped a LOT! I think a regular sized one cost about $50 at Big Lots in Florida.

Don't remember the name of it, though.

Two cautions about it: The packaging said to let it 'relax' and air out for a day or so before using it.

It's flammable and emits bad gases if it catches on fire.

I tend to have allergies, and it didn't seem to bother my breathing any when we were using it.
Good things to know...thank you!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I recommend going to Amazon and searching for "mattress topper". A lot of different ones come up, and you can read the reviews to find out which ones are good. From a brief scan, it looks to me as if the Visco and ViscO2 get the best reviews.

Once I do a search on Amazon, I usually choose a department and then sort the results by average customer review. That typically gets me the top 5 selections or so to research for myself.

Here's a link to one that I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Density-Elasti.../dp/B004AR5X92
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Memory Foam would help soften it up ... though if you're already saying you can't afford a new mattress, I'm not sure how you'd afford a Memory Foam topper!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM

We bought the "egg crate kind of topper" and put it underneath the mattress. then bought another one, and put it on top of the mattress--have slept on it for 6 years and it is wonderful!