Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice on RV/Camper bedding >

Advice on RV/Camper bedding

Advice on RV/Camper bedding

Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
jdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Western NYS
Posts: 3,278
Default Advice on RV/Camper bedding

Hello all, I know there are a bunch of you out there who take your quilting along with you in your RV or camper; so I thought I'd put my question to you here on the board. The mattress in my camper is extremely firm. Firm to the point of pain, after 4-6 hours in the bed. We can't afford to buy a whole new mattress. What I'm looking for is some advice on something else we may be able to put on top of the mattress to sofften it up a bit. I don't put a lot of stock in those foam things (sort of "corrugated") that you can buy in Wal-Mart, etc. We have one of those on our regular bed (which even has a pillow top), and I'm not so sure it helps that much. If there is a particular type of foam or some other material that is available, what exactly do any of you recommend? What density is it? what material is it? what price range are we talking about? I also don't need to add height to the bed. It's already plenty high. Thank you all so much for your input.
jdavis is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 AM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 12,930
Default

I recommend going to Amazon and searching for "mattress topper". A lot of different ones come up, and you can read the reviews to find out which ones are good. From a brief scan, it looks to me as if the Visco and ViscO2 get the best reviews.

Once I do a search on Amazon, I usually choose a department and then sort the results by average customer review. That typically gets me the top 5 selections or so to research for myself.

Here's a link to one that I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Density-Elasti.../dp/B004AR5X92
Prism99 is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM
  #3  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 23,944
Default

We purchased a foam topper that is 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick. It's the same on both sides - it helped a LOT! I think a regular sized one cost about $50 at Big Lots in Florida.

Don't remember the name of it, though.

Two cautions about it: The packaging said to let it 'relax' and air out for a day or so before using it.

It's flammable and emits bad gases if it catches on fire.

I tend to have allergies, and it didn't seem to bother my breathing any when we were using it.
bearisgray is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 10:04 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Chasing Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,018
Default

Wal mart sells a Memory foam topper. We paid $110.00 for a queen size. We placed it on top of our conventional mattress and it worked great. We now have it on top of our Temperpedic bed.
Chasing Hawk is online now  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 970
Default

So far we have bought 3 mattress toppers for our camper. Got them all at WalMart, 2-3"thick and they work just fine. The last one has lasted 5yrs. we keep them stored in the camper.
Pat M. is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 AM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
jdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Western NYS
Posts: 3,278
Default

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Wal mart sells a Memory foam topper. We paid $110.00 for a queen size. We placed it on top of our conventional mattress and it worked great. We now have it on top of our Temperpedic bed.
Do you find the memory foam warm? When camping in hot weather, I don't want to add heat to the bed.
Thank you for your input!
jdavis is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 AM
  #7  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
jdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Western NYS
Posts: 3,278
Default

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
We purchased a foam topper that is 1.5 to 2.0 inches thick. It's the same on both sides - it helped a LOT! I think a regular sized one cost about $50 at Big Lots in Florida.

Don't remember the name of it, though.

Two cautions about it: The packaging said to let it 'relax' and air out for a day or so before using it.

It's flammable and emits bad gases if it catches on fire.

I tend to have allergies, and it didn't seem to bother my breathing any when we were using it.
Good things to know...thank you!
jdavis is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
jdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Western NYS
Posts: 3,278
Default

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I recommend going to Amazon and searching for "mattress topper". A lot of different ones come up, and you can read the reviews to find out which ones are good. From a brief scan, it looks to me as if the Visco and ViscO2 get the best reviews.

Once I do a search on Amazon, I usually choose a department and then sort the results by average customer review. That typically gets me the top 5 selections or so to research for myself.

Here's a link to one that I found on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Density-Elasti.../dp/B004AR5X92
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
jdavis is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
  #9  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 17,445
Default

Memory Foam would help soften it up ... though if you're already saying you can't afford a new mattress, I'm not sure how you'd afford a Memory Foam topper!
QuiltE is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maple City, MI
Posts: 2,135
Default

We bought the "egg crate kind of topper" and put it underneath the mattress. then bought another one, and put it on top of the mattress--have slept on it for 6 years and it is wonderful!
rusty quilter is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jillmc
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
35
07-16-2014 03:55 PM
abdconsultant
Main
15
01-09-2011 07:48 PM
nik
Pictures
14
03-27-2010 06:02 AM
cwpainter
Main
15
12-07-2009 08:42 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter