Need new dishwasher

Old 05-27-2019, 05:42 AM

Smile Need new dishwasher

After 17 yrs of use, (Kenmore from Sears) our dishwasher has bit the dust. Any "buy" or "don't buy" recommends? TIA
Old 05-27-2019, 05:47 AM

Sorry. I had one for 21 years,but, she got married and moved away.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Be prepared for the new dishwasher to take twice as long or longer for a cycle. The older dishwashers I had did an excellent job and took less then an hour to wash and dry. The last two new ones I have had has taken up to 3 hours for a regular cycle. The last one was a new Bosh. It worked fine and was super quiet. Again had to wait hours for the thing to finish. The house we just bought has an older Kitchen Aid and it is wonderful. It's quiet, cleans and dries in less then an hour. I bought new racks for it it and kept it. I told DH I didn't want a new one.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:24 AM

We replaced our GE with a KitchenAid 3 years ago. We absolutely Love the KitchenAid. Everything comes out clean the first time - even pots.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-27-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-27-2019, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
Sorry. I had one for 21 years,but, she got married and moved away.
Haha, too funny!!! Thanks for the laugh. Yep, I too was a dishwasher who got married and moved away.

Now I use my dishwasher for everything! It wasn't exactly a selling point when we were looking at which house to buy last year, but it definitely put an extra bonus point on my decision. My whole kitchen needs remodeling (no oven, 20+ yr old stove on it's last leg...) but my dishwasher works! If you are asking to buy or not to buy, buy! I have no ideas for recommendations though. Mine is a Maytag, probably at least 20 years old because the previous owner never replaced anything.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Look for one that has different length of cycles. I seldom use the long cycle as I rinse my dishes before they go in so the short cycle is enough. Make sure the controls are on the outside so you don’t have to open the door to program it and you can interrupt the cycle if necessary.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:55 AM

Our dishwasher died last year and we researched many brands and decided on a Bosch. It is very quiet unlike our other one that sounded like an airplane landing! There is several price ranges with Bosch and we didn't choose the most expensive but we are happy with what we chose. The only problem I had was that the first 2 people that came out to install it "free" could not get it hooked up for some unknown reason so it sat in our kitchen for 3 weeks until I had to have our plumber come and install it correctly. Did dishes in a big tupperware bowl in the laundry room sink But we are very happy once everything got put together and the Bosch is very quiet.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-27-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-27-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Our dishwasher died last year and we researched many brands and decided on a Bosch. It is very quiet unlike our other one that sounded like an airplane landing! There is several price ranges with Bosch and we didn't choose the most expensive but we are happy with what we chose. The only problem I had was that the first 2 people that came out to install it "free" could not get it hooked up for some unknown reason so it sat in our kitchen for 3 weeks until I had to have our plumber come and install it correctly. Did dishes in a big tupperware bowl in the laundry room sink But we are very happy once everything got put together and the Bosch is very quiet.
We also bought a Bosch last year when our Kenmore dishwasher needed replaced. We are very happy with it. As Jordan says, quieter. No problems with it, but I confess to serious rinsing before loading. I hate the thought of food collecting in the trap.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-27-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 AM

I just had for 18yrs a whirlpool and we couldn't hear anything in the Den. if it was running. Son had me get a Bosch and I love it, but it does run 2hrs. It is no noise.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:23 AM

The Bosch dishwashers are indeed very quiet and very reliable, we had them in office conference rooms years ago when they were about 3 times the cost of a home machine. Now they are priced more reasonably.

Something to watch for/consider: Many modern dishwashers do not have water heaters any more and rely on the household hot water heater, it's part of the energy efficiency. They also use less water for that efficiency but that is resolved by swirling it around faster/harder and longer than in the past.

With the Bosch my mom put in a couple of years ago the installer told us to make sure the water was running hot at the tap next to the dishwasher because that would save a lot of time. Otherwise the dishwasher takes tiny sips of the water in the line until it is hot enough to use. When I did a test starting with cold water, it did add an hour to the expected 2 hour cycle.

My current dishwasher is on the way out but I haven't decided on a replacement yet. I do like the stainless interiors... I've found I'm actually rather fussy about some of the interior layouts, particularly the cutlery trays.