Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity? >

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM

I've started not to mention why I'm making my quilts (and in the past rag dolls) because people will say, "Oh, I'll take it."

When I try to explain that I'm making it for children who are sick I've gotten "Oh, my daughter is sick, I'll take one for her." Her daughter had the sniffles, not even a full blown cold. She was offended when I told her that my qults go to children battling cancer and that a cold wasn't the same.

I've also had people get angry with me when I wouldn't just give them a quilt since I make so many to give away or I wouldn't make a quilt for them for free because I have so much fabric given to me. When I mention how much I'd charge them they go through the roof, "It didn't cost you anything, why would you charge me?" Because I have to go and replace what I used to make you a quilt.

I find it absolutely amazing that so many people don't understand that when fabric is given to me because I make quilts for charity, I personally feel an obilgation to use that fabric to make quilts for charity. At least that is how I treat all donations to me.

I keep my personal stash separate from my charity stash.

Have you had any strange comments?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I try to keep things like that to myself. It's kinda like religion...I'd never EVER want to get into a discussion with someone about why I believe the way I do. It's between my heart and the receiver of my love.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 AM

I think you are right not to mention it. Almost everything I make to sell - handbags & wallets - is to have $$ to buy fabric for charity quilts. There is sooo much need for comfort out in the world, it can get overwhelming. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Cyn

I just don't tell for that exact reason!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Isn't it funny the number of invites you get to wedding and baby showers when they know you quilt? I guess I am bad because I just don't go........ I don't make any type of excuse. They really don't like it if they have their own business and I offer to 'barter'....
Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM

I take remarks like that as tongue in cheek. My usual response is a smiling "don't hold your breath"
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 AM

that is amazing that people would be so dense. I would just smile and say, let me know when your kid gets cancer, I will make one for them then.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:32 AM

I've not had a negative comment about my charity work. I've had a few "that's alot of time and money"; however, it is my time and "our" money. I usually just say "that's true but it so blesses my life".

How sad anyone would have such negative feelings about us giving of ourselves to bring comfort to others.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM

I guess I shouldn't be surprised there are people like that, that think like that, and would say things like that anywhere but books and television, but it's disheartening to learn they exist in real life. That's very bold, assuming and rude. I haven't encountered anything like that, thank goodness, and kudos for not letting them discourage you. Under those circumstances, I'd probably stop mentioning it as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
They really don't like it if they have their own business and I offer to 'barter'....
Love it!!!!!