Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Name Your Quilts? >

Do You Name Your Quilts?

Do You Name Your Quilts?

Old 12-16-2021, 10:26 AM

Question Do You Name Your Quilts?

I'm just finishing up a quilt top and getting ready to make the quilt "sandwich". Then I'll add a label. I make a custom one for each quilt. From the get-go I've called this one "The Bears" and I'll use their image as part of the label, which is how I started wondering if others name their quilts and give them some sort of individualized label?

"The Bears" label will have the title, the content, how to care for it, a date, a swatch of the main fabric, and my logo at the very bottom. While none of my labels look much alike, I do try to include similar information on each one. Hopefully I'll be ready to secure the quilt in the frame and start hand stitching by next week. (To me Solstice seems like an auspicious day to start!). And I've got the fabric for my next project already waiting on the corner of my sewing table. I call it "Wild Horses".

So how about the rest of you? Do you do anything similar? Something completely different? Do you finish one before you start another? I'd love to hear about it!

Rusty

Old 12-16-2021, 11:08 AM

I know I should label my quilts better than I do, but I don't typically make a label unless I know in advance who it is going to. A lot of what I do doesn't have a home when I start other than "not for me or anyone I know".

I do name my quilts, some have better names than others. Usually it is a working name like "Purple Quilt" but sometimes they turn into things like "Winter Dreams of Summer Skies"

I do include a letter that has things like washing care, or that it has been washed once between me finishing it and then giving it to the other person. I always like to wash first in case something happens, like just a couple of months ago I found a small flaw in the huge extra large backing after the wash. I ended up having to applique a little patch over the broken threads but I'm glad it happened on my watch and I had the skills and extra fabric to fix it.

From my years working with engineers they always wanted to know things like how many pieces -- I try and answer that!
Old 12-16-2021, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Nope, nothing gets a name unless it will come when I call it.

I am in awe of your attention to labels. I know I should be doing the same. I started out with good intentions, but haven't labeled a quilt in years. (I'm also in awe that you quilt by hand. Mine go on a frame too, but with a 26" longarm attached to it.)
Old 12-16-2021, 11:36 AM

I start many quilts, but finish very few. I would love to be one who finishes one before starting another, but an inability to sit for very long makes finishing a quilt a real challenge, whereas machine piecing (sit/stand/sit/stand) is a perfect activity for my back.

I have named the quilts I have finished, on the first line of the label (which I sew on after quilting). I put the name (title), month/year it was pieced, the month/year it was quilted, whether it was hand or machine, the recipient and their city/state, my name and city/state, the name of the pattern and designer, and the fabric, if a particular fabric is featured. I make the label in case the quilt should be found sometime in the future, away from its home.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I only name a quilt if it is going in a show and there is a line on the form that says…name.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:54 AM

I use the quilt pattern as the name. That way if I ever want to look the pattern up again, I'll know where to start. I will create a "name" if I design the quilt. For instance, I just finished making a quilt with a large buffalo on it which I pieced and my mom's favorite buffalo is named Dunbar so that is what I'm naming my quilt.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:29 PM

Sometimes when I look at a finished quilt and it looks like it needs a name, I will name it according to the look, colors, etc.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:43 PM

Only a few. One was Worlds Collide with drunkards path blocks and the other was strip blocks with different size left over small orange triangles on opposite corners of blocks. that became Odd Orange. can't think of another right now.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Not usually but I did name one that I started the day William and Kate got married. I named it my William and Kate quilt haha.
I'm gifting it to my SIL because she saw a picture of it and loved it. I've enjoyed it and now have the pleasure of giving it to someone special who loves it too.
I try to do labels but usually only when I gift them to my family.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:03 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Nope, nothing gets a name unless it will come when I call it.

(I'm also in awe that you quilt by hand. Mine go on a frame too, but with a 26" longarm attached to it.)
For me, making the quilt top is just an excuse, while the hand quilting to finish it is the real reason for the whole project.