Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use EQ7? >

How do you use EQ7?

How do you use EQ7?

Old 11-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Default How do you use EQ7?

My husband has bought me this software for Christmas. Since we are on a very limited budget I am afraid I will never really use it -- I don't know anyone who has it, and really don't know what it can help me with. I usually make scrappy quilts, as I have a room full of fabric (rather than buy specifically for a pattern), and usually baby- or lap-size.

I don't want to open it if I end up wanting to return it, so am looking for ideas on how it can help me. Any ideas?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

here's one reason
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t235763.html
Old 11-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I confess to having great difficulty learning how to use EQ7. The process is not at all intuitive for me. If I were in your situation, I would return the software. Quilt-Pro 6, which is supposed to be more intuitive than EQ7, is now on Black Friday sale (today is the last day, I think) for 50% off which makes it a little under $50 if you choose the download version. I just sprang for that to see if I can learn that program more easily than EQ7. I used to always opt for physical CDs and manual, but realized there's actually no point, so just did the download this time.

Also, think about your time. It takes quite a bit of time to teach yourself to use software (unless you are maybe younger and up on current technologies already). Part of the reason I haven't learned EQ7 is because I'd rather use my time actually sewing and quilting.

Edit: Just want to add that the Black Friday price for Quilt-Pro does not show up until you go to checkout. It doesn't show up in the cart until you click on checkout.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:56 PM

I like EQ7. It is a little bit of a pain at first, but it comes with a manual. I'll grant you I don't think it would help you if you really only do scrappy one patches, but anything else and I think you could have a lot of fun. It can open up a new and easy world of color combinations, border variations, and design for you.

I'm doing this one, that I had many EQ7 variations on, like 20 variations, before I settled on one.

And I'm doing this one, that I really designed to tickle my mom who was SO very tickled I wound up doing it.

I would never have come up with these without EQ7. I have scanned in some actual cardinal fabric into the program, which was neat but too much trouble for me personally, and I have used it too print out perfect templates.

Edit: In my actual quilt there's not a snowflake on the top left in the sun! That's just a 'typo'

Last edited by Petalpatsy; 11-30-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 11-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Learning EQ7 is on my to do list for this winter! Along with starting on a Dear Jane quilt. Along with many other things. So what do I seem to spend my time doing? Surfing QB! Don't feel guilty about keeping EQ& if our husband purchased it for you. Also don't feel guilty exchanging it for a different program.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I use EQ7 all the time and haven't found it difficult to learn at all. There are excellent tutorials in the program itself. I use it to design blocks, decide on layouts, try out different borders, experiment with color, just about everything. When I see a design that I like I can usually replicate it with EQ. However if you're computer-shy, you probably won't spend the time using it.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:50 PM

EQ 7 is not so easy to use but it's great to test out color options: I take a picture of each block and with the help of EQ 7 I can play with them trying out different sashings and borders and the colors of them! It helps to do the right decision!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 PM

EQ7 is not as intuitive as it could be and, even with the tutorials, is difficult to navigate because of that. Note that I wrote requirements for ordering and billing software, and wrote the user manuals for that same software, so I recognize 'intuitive' when I see it...and I don't see it in EQ7.

After all that, it is a useful tool. My granddaughter wants a snake quilt. I searched high and low for a pattern that wasn't too childish, and had zero luck. Finally, I took a block I found on EQ7, started playing with it, and suddenly, there was the quilt I was dreaming of making her! It's in progress now, and I aim to have it finished for Christmas!

So I have mixed feelings on EQ7, but overall am glad that I have it. However, if you are not computer literate or are intimidated with using a computer, it may not be the right tool for you.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Power Poster

I've had a chance to use the Quilt Pro software today, and I must say it's a lot easier for me to grasp than EQ7. Quilt Pro also offers a 30-day trial period so you can try it out. I'm sure now that I'm going to keep it, though, because I'm understanding how to use it. Can't say I've ever understood how EQ7 works in spite of having spent the same amount of time on it -- on multiple days. Maybe someday.....
Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 AM

I don't have EQ7...I have an earlier version. Is it worth the price DH paid for it at the time for the amount I use it? Probably not. That said, I have used it for various quilts and it has helped when I've seen a quilt I liked to be able to make up a pattern; calculate yardage; etc. I don't think the version I have (I think it's 5) is particularly intuitive either but it is a very powerful program. I've not used other quilting software so can't make any comparisons/judgements there either. And since I don't use what I have to it's potential, I've seen no need to upgrade either. Just another point of view.