Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Phaff machines >

Phaff machines

Phaff machines

Old 10-31-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Phaff machines

Hi, I'm totally new on here. Was trying to find out anything, something on Phaff quilting machines. My sister, who is hurting for money right now, is wanting to sell me her Phaff 2044 quilting expression machine. It happens my wife is looking for a new machine and, in retirement, might start doing some quilting along with general sewing. I too have sewn a good deal although not much recently. I became a furniture maker. Anyone have one of these machines? Or just know something about them? Quality, service record, ease of use, shortcomings, anything like that you might want to comment on. I would like to hear from you.
I'd hate to try to do her a favor and end up with a headache. If you know what I mean.
thanks wayne
Old 10-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

If you Google "Pfaff 2044 sewing machines" you will find lots of info online. I will link a few reviews for you and will also look for any "completed listings" on eBay for the machine to give you an idea of its current value.

Here is an old QB thread that mentions this machine (note that it is dated 2010!):
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...on-t65263.html

And here is another QB thread about the machine from 2013:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t227865.html

Here is a machine that sold on eBay recently for $305 + 50 shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PFAFF-QUILT-...cAAOSwiLdV~ZvH

And here's another listing that sold for over $400:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PFAFF-Sewing...sAAOSw9N1VxpEI

Judging by my brief look at the comments and at how the machine has held value over the years, I would guess that this would be a very good machine for your wife.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. First, it's spelled PFAFF, so you can do some google searches for other reviews etc. You can also look at sold listings on ebay to see what other folks are willing to pay to see what a fair price is. I believe this is an older machine.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:08 PM

I don't know anything about that particular machine, but I have a Pfaff Expression 2.0 that I love. I bought mine 5 years ago and have just finished my 100th quilt on it.

I think if I were you, I would sew on the machine and see what you thought. I'd also have your wife sew on it. I can tell you that the owner's manual on mine is very good. I can figure anything out that I need to.

There are many Pfaff owners here. I assume you will get more answers, probably from folks who have that actual machine.

Good luck with your decision.

Dina
Old 10-31-2015, 03:59 PM

I have two newer Pfaffs and they're great for sewing and quilting because they have the built in walking foot (the IDF). I never get wrinkles on the back of my projects, and seams are even.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:46 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Lewayne View Post
Hi, I'm totally new on here. Was trying to find out anything, something on Phaff quilting machines. My sister, who is hurting for money right now, is wanting to sell me her Phaff 2044 quilting expression machine. It happens my wife is looking for a new machine and, in retirement, might start doing some quilting along with general sewing. I too have sewn a good deal although not much recently. I became a furniture maker. Anyone have one of these machines? Or just know something about them? Quality, service record, ease of use, shortcomings, anything like that you might want to comment on. I would like to hear from you.
I'd hate to try to do her a favor and end up with a headache. If you know what I mean.
thanks wayne
Hay, thanks for the replys. A very active board. My post was on the second page in just the one evening. I knew the spelling was wrong but I had nothing in front of me at that moment. An interesting evening, the wife was trying to finish sewing a Japanese jacket for our newest grand son's 100th day pictures. A tradition I guess. Gale's Japanese from Maui. We were using our daughter in law's Brother without a manual. Kim couldn't find it. Wow, a very different machine than I had ever used. IT took a bit to figure out. Like looking under a new car hood, I don't even know what half that stuff is anymore. But we, mostly she, got it done. She was copying one that was a real nice bit of craftsmanship and she did real well. Her mother was a seamstress though, so it's not like she has no background. She hasn't sewn anything for years though. We haven't had a machine for a long time. I made clothes for a living for a short time myself. In one of my other lives, so to speak.
My sister is bringing it over tomorrow and we will play around with it for a while. She has a lot of the attachments too, I think.
thanks again.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:31 AM

I had a 2054 and I loved it and I regret selling it 5 years later for almost what I paid for it. I'm glad you'll get a chance to check it out. Post back and let us know how you like it.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I have friends who have them and are happy with them. A sewing machine is just like buying a car, you need to go out and test drive the machine. Make sure it is within your price range and has the options you need. Good Luck with your shopping and Welcome to the board.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:39 AM
KLO

Hi Texas and welcome to the Board. Also welcome back to the world of sewing. Seems like sewing machines change faster than cars anymore particularly the technology so if you have been away from machines for some time as you said, it can be overwhelming to figure out what to buy and how they work. There will probably be a learning curve but just plunge ahead and you both will figure it out, I am sure. I have an older Pfaff and if I could only have one machine (I do have a few but they are mostly old Singers) I would definitely keep the Pfaff. I especially love the IDT (built in walking foot). I hope you and your wife end up liking and getting this machine. And isn't sewing a bit like riding a bike or horse .... you never really forget how to do it just need to brush up a bit. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lewayne View Post
thanks wayne
have a pfaff 2048 and it's a lemon