Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use >

Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Old 11-25-2020, 08:41 PM

Default Quilting Notions You Don't Like or Use

Inspired by a previous thread about favorite non-quilting supplies, I wonder about people's thoughts on notions and supplies specifically designed for quilting that you purchased but either don't like or haven't ended up using as you planned.. In a way, I want to learn what NOT to buy. (I hope this is not offensive to anyone. That is NOT my intention). Maybe you ended up using it in another way or it is sitting in a drawer somewhere.Either way, I would like to hear all about it.
​​​​​
Old 11-26-2020, 03:31 AM

The Tucker Trimmer - every time I get it out, I have to look up how to use it, so I put it away again.
The twister ruler - used a couple of times and then given away
Other specialty rulers too numerous to mention.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
The Tucker Trimmer - every time I get it out, I have to look up how to use it, so I put it away again.
Without going thru all of them to name them, I have to agree with this. I have a storage box full of either unused rulers and/or some that had books with a pattern to use it for.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I had almost forgotten the craze over the twister until just recently when I wanted something quick for a Christmas wall hanging for my granddaughter's new, very tiny apartment. I used the twister for a Christmas wreath. It's been awhile!! But here's the reminder to NOT mix up those pieces. The secret behind twister it to keep them in order. Twister makes a great wreath!
Old 11-26-2020, 04:36 AM

Interesting. I LOVE the Tucker Trimmer. I use it all the time along with her other rulers. I rewrite patterns to use her tools. I like oversized blocks that you cut down. More precise.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Interesting. I LOVE the Tucker Trimmer. I use it all the time along with her other rulers. I rewrite patterns to use her tools. I like oversized blocks that you cut down. More precise.
I’m with you - love my Deb Tucker rulers. However there are many specialty rulers that I have bought and never used.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:48 AM

The June Tailor shape cut ruler? mat? The plastic thingy with slots for your rotary cutter. My friend thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm glad I bought mine on sale because I have used it twice. The first time I miss cut so many strips that I had to change the pattern. The second time I guess I got too much speed going because I almost slit thru the plastic edge. I usually use a ruler and a piece of masking tape (and a role of masking tape costs a whole pile less than that June Tailor thingy)
Old 11-26-2020, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I too like the Tucker Trimmer! Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

The flat square rotating mat is one I don't like. It never stays together and awkward to spin. I love the Martelli Roundabout one.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:10 AM

The Spider Ruler from Creative Grids that is supposed to make the Crazy Christmas Tree pattern and others. I have never been able to figure that thing out. I rarely buy specialty rulers and this just showed me why once again.

Watson