Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'd love to show & tell my new Sewing Room, Please, Come on in... >

I'd love to show & tell my new Sewing Room, Please, Come on in...

I'd love to show & tell my new Sewing Room, Please, Come on in...

Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM

Newbie here...I wanted to show you the place where I am so happy to play, and why I prefer to be "At Home Sewing" :)

Hubby helped me make over our daughter's former room, into a sewing room. It wasn't my original plan, but somehow it happened that the furniture all came out of the Ikea "As Is" department. It me took several trips, over a couple months to find everything. I didn't sacrifice, everything I got was in perfect condition!

There are two design walls, one black and one white which I made out of builder's foam insulation board covered in felt. I love having two. I

The cutting table is counter height. It has a lot of storage space in the drawers. He put a top on it which extends off the back side by 8 inches. That makes a small counter providing room for knees underneath. The whole top is covered in a self-healing cutting mat from quiltersrule.com. Hubby trimmed the mat down just a tiny bit to fit and then trimmed out the whole top edge in birch.

The sewing machine sits on a table that was real find at $60. The entire table top raises to about chest height and lowers to table height via an hydraulic mechanism (apx. 28" - 40"). Years ago, Ikea sold these. This one was hiding in their corporate offices and was brought into the "As Is" department where I found it. I know I could never replace it. I've seen sewing tables that do the same thing sold for more $ than my mid-line Bernina! I may put a drop in this one for quilting.

Hubby also added two electrical circuits for the room and a lot of well placed halogen track lights. It's bright! :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me share! :)

More pics of the sewing room can be seen at: www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/

Ruler Organization
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23398[/ATTACH]

White Design Wall, Sewing Table and TV
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23442[/ATTACH]

Black Design Wall, Cutting Table, Fabric Cabinets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23444[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-23398.jpe   attachment-23442.jpe   attachment-23444.jpe  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:56 PM

Beautiful room!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM

What an awesome room!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Oh darn it...now I have to get up and get a towl...drool all over my keyboard and desk. :roll:

That room is fabulous! I'm afraid that I'd never come out if I had that. You are one lucky girl! At least your hubby always knows where to find you!

And welcome to the board...now we are ready to see pics of your quilts!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM

WOW!!! You lucky ducky!! It's beautiful and looks like you've got so much room to work on your sewing.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM

WOW Do you always keep it that clean and organized or was that just for the picture?

Beautiful room.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Thanks everyone for having a look, I do love it, it just sort of came together by accident!

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
WOW Do you always keep it that clean and organized or was that just for the picture?
:lol: Well, no... it is not that clean most of the time. I took those pics as soon as I felt I was done....but I definitely like it clean. For some reason it is calming for me to work when most of the surfaces are cleared off to start. The frustration of losing track of things otherwise wears me down. :) Actually there is so much room in the two closets and the cutting table drawers, that nothing has to sit out on work surfaces. Nevertheless when I'm on a project, it's spread across everything. The design walls help too.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:32 PM

Great room! Sunny too! I love your ruler idea...are they in plastic pockets?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Just lovely, anytime you want to watch someone work invite me over, I'd be happy to quilt in there! :) Welcome to the board.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
Great room! Sunny too! I love your ruler idea...are they in plastic pockets?
Hi,

No pockets, they hang freely. We made it from a double-sided melamine panel, 24 inches wide, purchased from the lumber yard. That is sort of like white pegboard, but without the holes in it.

To make it, first I laid it flat on my cutting table, arranged my rulers for spacing and marked it. Holes were drilled through, and small nuts and bolts added to hang the rulers on. Two over-the-door brackets were atttached to the back of it. Thick felt protectors were glued at the corners on the back to protect the door when it was hung. It was then placed over the door and two very thin finishing nails, or brads, were placed (by air gun) in the very bottom of the melamine and through to the door for stability. I cringed to nail it, but they are very thin and small, and on the door's inside at the bottom, and they will be easy to fill if I ever take this down. Rulers were hung, and it works perfectly. There is no problem at all opening or closing the door and very little movement of the rulers. I am very happy with it.