Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Unfinished basement.... I made it mine!!! >

Unfinished basement.... I made it mine!!!

Unfinished basement.... I made it mine!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Smile Unfinished basement.... I made it mine!!!

My husband and I have been saying we are going to re-finish our basement from the day we bought our house.... 15 years ago!!! Seems like other more important things always took priority.... raising kids.... going on 3 mission trips ... one thing or another.

My sewing/craft area has always been in the basement <lots of room!!>. So one day.... the ole light bulb went off real bright and shiny.... I thought.... I don't have to wait for us to re-finish the basement to make my sewing area be a reflection of "me" and a happy place to be.... so.... I started painting..... walls, floor, stairs.... then I started organizing.... then decorating. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

I never dreamed I would ever post pics of it.... because it is not "finished".... (gasp!). But you know... I thought.... there may be someone else on the QB who is experiencing the same paralysis as I was. So these are for you....here are a few pics of my little world of refuge and joy. I encourage you to make your area your own sewing haven!!!

Here is an explanation of each pic:
1 --- Right side view
2 --- Left side view
3 --- Design wall with "Summer at Mom's" quilt. I made the design wall by framing out two 4x8 foam boards and
wrapped in felt. Over time, the felt has pelled, so I am going to get some flannel to wrap over it.
---- The quilt is for my Mom. whew... 1 1/2 borders to go. Been a looooong project.
4 --- Quilting table that my husband made for me!! No patterns..... only pics and my ideas. Didn't he do a
tremendous job!!!
5 --- My stash. Alas, I still have that much more fabric to wrap. I had to have a break! ;-)
6 --- My dad made me the round table years ago. Bought the quilt at an estate auction. More tubs of fabric to wrap
beside it.
7 --- View from the back corner. I have had the desk forever (used through college). It is a solid oak door (from a
hospital where my brother used to work). Was originally oak color... I recently stained dark brown. Door sits
on 2 filing cabinets (originally putty in color). They hold all my sewing notions. More tubs of fabric to wrap
beside armoire.
8 --- My armoire is chuck full!!! Templates, rulers, patterns, ufo's, paints, other craft supplies.
9 --- Last but not least..... you can even bling duct work!!! ;-)
Attached Thumbnails right-side-view.jpg   left-side-view.jpg   design-wall.jpg   quilting-table.jpg   fabric.jpg  

nook.jpg   back-corner-view.jpg   armoire.jpg   duct-work.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM

WONDERFUL...wish I had a basement to spread out more....you have a great space...like the magnetic display too.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I agree, make the best use of what you have available. Wish I had a large area like us. I am happy with my small bedroom that is "all" mine!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM

It looks like you have it exactly the way you want. Isn't it nice to be able to claim an area that is strictly yours? Thanks for sharing. Love your stash.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Great job. I love the decorating as well. Enjoy your new Haven.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 PM

It's wonderful. Ahh, the luxury of space. I too painted walls in my basement. Put up floor to ceiling drapes as one wall about 14' long. My guy is a real keeper, but he is not handy with a hammer.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Looks like a wonderful place to call your own.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

wow! I love it all! You sure did make it yours. There are so many big and small special touches everywhere that speak out.
It's a real happy place I can tell. I felt the energy just looking at the pics.
So great of your dh to build the quilting table for you and get it the way you "envisioned" it.
Do you hand quilt and machine quilt or is it all by hand?
I just love your mom's quilt and the bling on the duct work, lol...you have quite a creative imagination, bg! super
Old 02-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Good for you! It looks like a great place to work and play! I like it ALOT...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 PM

You did a great job of making it yours. Everything looks great.