Domestic Rotary 153

Old 07-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Default Domestic Rotary 153

Hello,
I am here because I just purchased a Domestic Rotary 153. It needs some work, and I am unsure how to fix it. It seems to have only two immediate problems:

#1 - The spool pin closest to the front of the machine is bent over at a 30 degree angle. Are these pins removable?

#2 - The rubber piece on the friction motor (that rubs against the disc wheel) has developed a dent from resting in one spot for... decades. The dent is so deep that the motor can no longer drive the disc wheel. It seems that somewhere in the world, there should be a little rubber something that would be a suitable replacement, but I have no idea what to search for. Any ideas?

Last edited by Seijun; 07-21-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
sorry, can't help with the machine
Old 07-22-2017, 04:26 AM

Welcome Seijun

Originally Posted by Seijun View Post
#1 - The spool pin closest to the front of the machine is bent over at a 30 degree angle. Are these pins removable?
John has bent a spool pin in place, but I wasn't around when he did it. I'm sure they are removable as have seen many machines without spool pins, LOL. Some are tap in and some are screw in. Have you tried oiling the base and protect pin while trying to unscrew?

#2 - The rubber piece on the friction motor (that rubs against the disc wheel) has developed a dent from resting in one spot for... decades. The dent is so deep that the motor can no longer drive the disc wheel. It seems that somewhere in the world, there should be a little rubber something that would be a suitable replacement, but I have no idea what to search for. Any ideas?
This is a common problem machines with a friction drive pulley.
https://sewwhatman.wordpress.com/201...-drive-wheels/
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Pulley-R...ary-LN379A.htm
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Pulley-R...aller-5767.htm

Your machine is very similar to White Rotary machines. There is a recent thread regarding White Rotary that might help - White Rotary

If you don't have a manual for your machine, there is one at http://ismacs.net/domestic/manuals/d...ine-manual.pdf

You might want to check out https://sites.google.com/site/sewmac...tic-rotary-153

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 PM

Awesome links, thank you so much! So unfortunately I won't be getting this machine until August 3rd. The thrift store I bought it from is going to deliver it to me, but it is quite a wait. I do remember, however, that the non-bent spindle could spin freely in either direction. I thought it was supposed to do that, but maybe it is a screw in type?

My plan of action for the rubber wheel is to first try patching the dent with Sugru. I don't know how well it will bond or hold up under use, so it might be only a temporary fix. I will keep you posted.

This machine does include an instruction manual and a ton of attachments. It is such a gorgeous piece of equipment. It will be my second machine, my first being a White Automatic 666.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:47 PM

Just an update on this machine. I was able to bend the spool pin back into place without any trouble. I attempted to fix the dented motor tire with sugru. It seemed like a good idea, but the sugru does not have enough grip on the disc wheel, and instead spins uselessly against it.

I have ordered the Kennmore tire #5767. The diameter should be correct for the motor shaft on the Domestic. I also ordered a replacement lightbulb. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 AM

Glad to hear got spool pin straightened. Glad you have replacement drive pulley on the way.

I forgot that John posted about another solution about dented drive pulleys that might work in a pinch at White Rotary 11 - Has Anyone Disassembled This Clutch?

I've read about sugru but have never used it.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I hope you post a pic when you get it. I love old machines!!
Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 PM

I have run into a new problem: trying to remove the old bobbin winder tire. In a separate thread someone mentioned the 153 tire as just "sliding off" but mine seems firmly attached. What am I missing?

There are some good pics here of a 153 bobbin winder (not mine)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:35 AM

I have run into a new problem: trying to remove the old bobbin winder tire. In a separate thread someone mentioned the 153 tire as just "sliding off" but mine seems firmly attached. What am I missing?
I'm a little confused. Why do you want to remove the tire? If the tire is firmly attached and not cracked or loose, that is what you want. If you engage the lever so the tire is against the hand wheel and then turn the hand wheel toward the back of the machine (normal direction for sewing) by hand, does the tire rotate? There is an oil hole between the tire and where the bobbin is placed. can you rotate the tire by hand and have the other end rotate. You don't want to get any oil on the tire.

As mentioned at Domestic 153 Bobbin Winder Tire it is really harder to get a new tire back on than it is to remove the old one. If the tire works as it should, I would recommend leaving it alone. If you are wanting to take it off, and wanting to put it back on..... I would suggest that you have a replacement in hand. I sincerely doubt that old rubber tires are any where near as supple as a new one and will break trying to get it off. There are different sizes of tires.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:02 AM

The tire can spin freely, but it is so worn that it no longer makes contact with the hand wheel. I did not notice until last night when I was cleaning it.