Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Featherweight accessory organization question. >

Singer Featherweight accessory organization question.

Singer Featherweight accessory organization question.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:50 AM

Question Singer Featherweight accessory organization question.

Yesterday I took a Featherweight Maintenance class in Columbus, OH. Nova Montgomery (www.novamontgomery.com) travels the country and teaches you how to clean and maintain your Featherweight. It was a very good class, and my machine is purring like a kitten! I can't wait to sew with her!

I bought my Featherweight about five years ago, and have never used it, which is why I took the class. I have the case, but the handle is breaking, so I bought a soft sided case. My machine had all of the feet with it, thrown into the top of the hard case. My question is this: How do you store your feet? I don't just want to throw them into a bag or box. Quilters are resourceful, so I know you will all have suggestions regarding storage of feet.

Thanks so much!
Michele
Old 09-22-2018, 04:10 PM

The handle on the case can sometimes be repaired, Singer had different handles over the years. If it has leather straps you can find new leather. The old screws can be taken out, and they fill the holes with fine sawdust and wood glue (poke and pack it in there best you can with a tooth pick), then have the screws back in. Maybe find slighly wider screws. There are youtube videos on how to fit new handles. I think there's brand new Featherweigh cases available, very much like the original ones.

For the feet and accessories you can get inventive; in shops for fish flies and hooks they sell boxes with multiple compartments, some are ideal size for the low shank Singer feet. There are more general storage boxes in wood or plastic to keep all kinds of small items organised. There are are one and two layer jewlery boxes that can be used, tea boxes, etc...
Old 09-22-2018, 06:55 PM

I head to Lowe's/Home Depot/Sears and peruse their little plastic boxes until I find what I want. Recently, my husband as cleaning out his garage and knows how much I like those boxes and brought me a really nice one that just fits the feet for my Juki.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:13 AM

Hardware and sporting goods organizers are generally less expensive than the same in the craft department/store.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:18 AM

There are replacement handle kits online for Featherweight cases and aren't very hard to install. You can still find
original 221 attachment boxes online on ebay. esty, etc. The part number is 160809. If you check often you can
still find them in good shape.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:11 PM

Some of the travel plastic soap holders will hold quite a few attachments. Some of the glass cases will hold most of the attachments. I have been finding triangular glass cases with hidden magnetic clasps. I've found three of them lately at the thrift store. If you have a ruffler they probably will not all fit in one, but most of the other attachments will fit,

Another possibility would be to make a small drawstring bag. I'm not sure what size. I know the Fashion Aids case had a drawstring bag for several of the attachments. I've thought of making one from silver cloth or flannel.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Darn@! I live in Columbus but was away on vacation. I would have loved that class!