Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 201-2? Featherweight?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    173

    Smile 201-2? Featherweight?

    I haven't even oiled my 301A yet, but have been looking around - at a thrift store, they had this for $250 - I think it's a 201 (but out of my price range) - is it a 201-2? It looks in pretty good condition and has a bentwood case with a key, and there is a repair tag on the machine - since I wasn't buying, he wouldn't let me try it.
    Name:  WP_000147.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  140.2 KB

    Then, at an estate sale today, I saw this for $65 - is it a featherweight? It doesn't look in great condition - and it's missing a needle plate (?) - is it worth offering less and bringing it in to a shop to fix? There is some electrical tape on the motor, and it looks like it uses a knee controller. (Although I refuse to say I've been bitten by the "bug", it's fun to look around - another estate sale today, the lady had 3 sewing machines, all in cabinets, and a serger!
    Name:  WP_000148.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  179.7 KBName:  WP_000150.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  171.3 KBName:  WP_000151.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  130.6 KB
    Appreciate all your comments!

  2. #2
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    The first is a 201. The second is a 99, not featherweight.

  3. #3
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Featherweight photos are very numerous on the web if you do a search. Featherweights are light. If you have to strain to pick it up. It's not a Featherweight.

  4. #4
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    For future reference here's a guide to figuring out what Singer you're looking at:
    http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm

  5. #5
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    The first machine is a 201-2. The potted motor version. Nice strong machine, runs great, usually runs pretty quiet. Not worth $250.00 by any means. It might be worth $75.00 but that's even stretching it.

    The second machine is a 66-16 not a 99. It is a full sized machine and are very good sewers. I have 8 of them. That one is a former cabinet model that has been re-motored and and put in a case. It is missing it's light and bobbin cover plate and has a non Singer foot controller.
    It is not worth $65.00. Perhaps $20 to $25 at the very most.

    Neither are Feather Weights.

    Joe

  6. #6
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    Joe - you're right. I missed the tell-tale face plate.

  7. #7
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    Not only the face plate, but just the overall look of the machine. The 99 is oh so similar, but there is enough difference to see they are not the same.

    Joe

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    173
    Thanks for the information! (The second machine had a xeroxed Featherweight manual in its base - that's why I thought it was a Featherweight - but it was heavy!) Well, I guess I'll keep looking around - went to one more estate sale today, and it had a Singer treadle there! But, I have no room for cabinets, so I'm keeping an eye out for portables.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    124
    isn't that a centennial badge on the first one? i'm thinking the blue ring around the badge is always a centennial, but am not sure.

  10. #10
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    The first machine is a 201-2. The potted motor version. Nice strong machine, runs great, usually runs pretty quiet. Not worth $250.00 by any means. It might be worth $75.00 but that's even stretching it.

    The second machine is a 66-16 not a 99. It is a full sized machine and are very good sewers. I have 8 of them. That one is a former cabinet model that has been re-motored and and put in a case. It is missing it's light and bobbin cover plate and has a non Singer foot controller.
    It is not worth $65.00. Perhaps $20 to $25 at the very most.

    Neither are Feather Weights.

    Joe
    Joe if that 201 has been professionally worked over with a new set of wiring, it is well worth that $250 - where are you going to buy a like new machine or a new machine for that? That machine will last a very long time. If you spend that same $250 on a new plastic wonder it won't last 5 years.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  11. #11
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    The second looks too big to be a 99 - probably a 66. Those turn real nice usually - great if you like speed.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  12. #12
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,104
    Miriam,

    I have a 201-2 in a 4 drawer cabinet sitting in my front room right now just like you described, and we only paid $75.00 for it. All original in totally functional condition. All I've done is clean, oil and lube it. I wouldn't have paid $250.00 for it, no way, no how.

    Joe

  13. #13
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Joe if that 201 has been professionally worked over with a new set of wiring, it is well worth that $250 - where are you going to buy a like new machine or a new machine for that? That machine will last a very long time. If you spend that same $250 on a new plastic wonder it won't last 5 years.
    Miriam - I tend to agree. Value is always subjective but if I were looking for a machine for my daily user I'd absolutely look at something like this and say 'How much would it cost me to get the same quality and features in a new machine?' If it has the features I want, the wiring is good and it's been fully serviced it would certainly worth $250 to me. Not that I'd mind getting it for less, mind you

    All that being said, I'm probably willing to pay more than a lot of the people here for the same item. Generally spare time - for hunting things down, haunting garage sales/antique stores/etc... - is harder for me to come up with than spare money at the moment and I've never been particularly patient.

  14. #14
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,353
    Blog Entries
    2
    Prices are dependent on area, supply, & condition. If you live in an area where they don't come up very often, prices will be higher. Most are not in good condition; this lowers the price. If one has accessories and is recently serviced, it will be higher. And it all boils down to whatever someone is willing to pay.
    I love finding non-working machines, re-habbing them, & finding the missing parts. When I sell them, I can't let them go for $20; I have WAY more than that invested in parts, not to mention the time. I buy the machines to use, not to make a million $. But I let one go to a new home every so often.
    Stephanie in Mena

  15. #15
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
    Prices are dependent on area, supply, & condition. If you live in an area where they don't come up very often, prices will be higher. Most are not in good condition; this lowers the price. If one has accessories and is recently serviced, it will be higher. And it all boils down to whatever someone is willing to pay.
    I love finding non-working machines, re-habbing them, & finding the missing parts. When I sell them, I can't let them go for $20; I have WAY more than that invested in parts, not to mention the time. I buy the machines to use, not to make a million $. But I let one go to a new home every so often.
    That's where I'm at. If I have lots of time in it I can't let it go for $20 - but you can be sure it WILL work and YOU won't have to put a bunch of time and money in it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  16. #16
    Super Member amyjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,397
    Blog Entries
    18
    I have a 201 in a cabinet that I paid $10 for. It is in a Queen Anne Cabinet and doesn't look like it was used very much, No chair with the cabinet tho. can't find my pictures now. I think I posted them under vintage machines I love it. It doesn't make very much noise at all when I sew.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.