Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 28K Coffin-Top Treadle/Portable Combination

28K Coffin-Top Treadle/Portable Combination

I just acquired an 1897 28K in a portable coffin-style case. It wasn't until I got it home that I noticed treadle belt holes in the base of the wooden case. I've seen photos of treadle cabinets with the coffin cover, and portable machines with coffin covers, but this combination arrangement has me baffled.

Since this is a hand crank machine, being able to move the machine itself from a portable case to a treadle cabinet seems reasonable. But I haven't been able to find any reference to setting the base of the portable case onto a treadle cabinet or stand for utilizing the belt holes in the portable base.

All of the coffin-top treadle cabinets I've see so far look like they just have attachments for the machine itself, with no provision for setting the portable base on it. And the cover of the portable cabinet doesn't have any hardware on it other than the hooks on one end and the hasp/clasp on the other for attaching to its base.

How would this machine be used as a treadle?

I have seen a reference to this combination, with a photo, but can't find . I did find this, which has a line drawing from Singer. It is shown with a bentwood cover, but a 3/4 size coffin top portable likely has the same dinensions.
    http://needlebar.org/main/singercabs...t10/index.html
    Hand cranks were more widely available/used than treadles in the UK and Europe, due to home/space limitations. (Ibelieve I read) When the family moved up in station, they would upgrade that portable hand crank by adding the treadle.

Thanks so much for that reference! I was beginning to think that I had some sort of Frankenstein sewing machine that someone cobbled together with spare parts. Not really, the belt holes all look factory-done. I just haven't been able to find any reference to that combination of capabilities online. The illustration you sent the link for is really encouraging. I had some trouble imagining reasonable circumstances where someone would want to shift from treadle use to hand crank, but your suggestion of "upgrading" sounds very plausible. I just wish I could find an official reference from Singer that they intentionally made components (the portable base with treadle belt holes, and a table/cabinet that would fit a portable base) to work together that way. Thanks again!

I've got a couple of older cases with treadle belt holes. I'd love to find a treadle to go with one of them. I've seen a Pfaff setup that was like that with the treadle base and case and machine. Could have got it for a decent price but I don't collect Pfaff machines.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I have finally found several photos of a "drop-in" arrangement for putting a sewing machine in a portable base into a recess on the top of both treadle and non-treadle table/cabinets. However, I've also managed to come up with another thing to ponder about: my portable base has two holes for the treadle belt, but most if not all of the photos I've seen of similar bases have a slot instead of individual holes. That would certainly make it much easier to switch from portable to a table. In my configuration I would have to disconnect the staple joint on the belt each time I moved the sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mtboze View Post
    I have finally found several photos of a "drop-in" arrangement for putting a sewing machine in a portable base into a recess on the top of both treadle and non-treadle table/cabinets. However, I've also managed to come up with another thing to ponder about: my portable base has two holes for the treadle belt, but most if not all of the photos I've seen of similar bases have a slot instead of individual holes. That would certainly make it much easier to switch from portable to a table. In my configuration I would have to disconnect the staple joint on the belt each time I moved the sewing machine.
    Most European handcranks I own have the holes instead of a groove. I understand your concern, but that is how it is. I actually have never seen any with a groove/slot. Even with a slot, you have to remove the staples or the handwheel. The belt can't be long enough to go over the handwheel and be tight enough to work as a treadle. Only alternative is to use a spring belt.
    Maria
    Smoky Mountains of Tennessee

Would you have enough slack in the belt to lift it over the hand wheel if you slid the belt off the flywheel first?

Quote Originally Posted by mtboze View Post
    Would you have enough slack in the belt to lift it over the hand wheel if you slid the belt off the flywheel first?
    I imagine that is possible.
    Maria
    Smoky Mountains of Tennessee