Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 301 discussion thread

Blog Entries
    I discovered it had the pull down knee control and I love using that versus the foot pedal...[/QUOTE]

I learned to sew on a knee controller and liked it a lot..lucky you..can you opt to use one over the other?
    Elizabeth

Life is a Learning Curve!

Has anyone ever heard of a Singer 306? There's one for sale in my area and I'm not sure whether to think about buying it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkbeth View Post
    I discovered it had the pull down knee control and I love using that versus the foot pedal...
    I learned to sew on a knee controller and liked it a
    lot..lucky you..can you opt to use one over the other?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the foot pedal just snaps into a bracket on the side of the machine...When you use the knee peddle the arm of the knee peddle bracket hits the foot peddle button...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a Singer 306? There's one for sale in my area and I'm not sure whether to think about buying it or not.
    Yes there is a 306 model of Singer. Try doing a 'google' search. This is not however, the same as a 301. Hope this helps. You may also want some feedback from the main thread of vintage and antique machine enthusiasts. Best of Luck!
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
    I've not had one - I am working on a 319 - I think the 306 just uses disks - no camstack. It does take different needles - sew classic has them - I think other places carry them as well. Look it over - you might be able to treadle it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I bought a two-tone 301A earlier this year. Got it from ebay. It needs to be cleaned and inspected yet. I am also looking for attachments for it, as it only came with the one foot on it.

A thread for these machines would be wonderful!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I have 3!!! http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t167672.html

Love them. I've refurbished all of them and have had to retime them, redo the tensions etc. and it's so simple on this machine. They are wonderful machines because you don't need to be a scientist to fix them.

They FMQ just as well as my modern machines, if not better. And yes, they are stronger machines and I've been told FMQ isn't such a good idea on FW as the motors don't handle the constant running well.
    Last edited by Candace; 11-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    I just saw a long bed on CL in Mesa Az.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I just saw a long bed on CL in Mesa Az.
    Girl, you just look all over don't you?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris View Post
    Girl, you just look all over don't you?
    Don't like making noise this early - I might wake up Grumpy.... best to let him sleep.

Blog Entries

Singer Automatic Zigzagger for 301 question

Hi, has anyone used the Singer ZigZager attachment for the 301? Would like some input before getting it. Thanks much..
    Elizabeth

Hi, has anyone used the Singer ZigZager attachment for the 301? Would like some input before getting it. Thanks much..
    Yes I got it with my 301A along with other decorative stitch cams that go into the zigzagger...It's so diff from modern machines since with modern machine the needle moves...With this the foot moves the fabric back and forth...I've used it once...Depending on the cost some go high on ebay if you can find them 50+...personally I'd save my money and use your modern machine. I can't see using it that often unless you find it cheap, it a novelty.

I have just started to "collect" a few vintage machines and after reading this thread I am on the look out for a 301. I do all my piecing on my 99K and love it. Is there a big difference between a 99 and the 301 besides the internal motor? I also have a 185J (bought it because it was a lovely green colour) and my mom's old 15-90 that I learned to sew on. I'd like a 301 so I can try FMQ on it. I haven't been brave enough try it yet. Love this thread even if I don't own a 301 - YET.

Quote Originally Posted by Briarberry View Post
    I have just started to "collect" a few vintage machines and after reading this thread I am on the look out for a 301. I do all my piecing on my 99K and love it. Is there a big difference between a 99 and the 301 besides the internal motor? I also have a 185J (bought it because it was a lovely green colour) and my mom's old 15-90 that I learned to sew on. I'd like a 301 so I can try FMQ on it. I haven't been brave enough try it yet. Love this thread even if I don't own a 301 - YET.
    The 99 you have is most similar to your 185. They are basically the same machine. The 185 is just the more modern version of the 99. The 301 has an internal belt system and is not like the 99 in operation or in feel. I own a 185 and although it's a nice machine, does not compare at all in stitch quality or in feel to the 301. The 185/99 is a heavy beast and does have quite a bit of vibration. The 301 is light, portable and is smoooooooth running.

Singer 301A for FMQ

Quote Originally Posted by Briarberry View Post
    .. after reading this thread I am on the look out for a 301... I'd like a 301 so I can try FMQ on it.
    I think you’ll love a 301A. My Mom bought an LBOW short bed in the trapezoid portable case new in the 50s while living on the family ranch, and still uses it today, although not often.

I bought an LBOW short bed for myself, and my wife quickly latched onto it after hearing how good it was for FMQ. She’s stippling her sashings on a quilt with it today. Her large Singer Model 430 Sewing Desk helps when doing FMQ. It provides a nice big work surface. She used to have her 401A in it, but has put the 301A in it instead.

CD in Oklahoma

Edited to add: The machine's spool pin in the photo is empty because she's using a cone of thread on a thread stand just out of the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by ThayerRags; 11-27-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Thanks for the information, now really want to find a 301. I have been lucky finding machines on kijiji which is the Canadian version of Craig's List. I only paid $45 for the 99K and $15 for the 185J. They were both in excellent condition, I don't think the 185 had been used much at all. I cleaned and oil them both really well and they both work fine.

Singer 301A Comparison to Singer 185 or 99

The 185 is a nice little machine, but I like the 301A better. My 185J is nestled in the Singer Model 49 cabinet here under my computer monitor. I don’t ever use it. I may end up making it into a hand crank like I did the 185K that I had (and sold), and putting a 99 into this cabinet.

Although the 301A is also a straight stitch machine like the 185 and 99, it’s just much more versatile in my opinion. It’s a very good straight stitch machine, portable or cabinet-mount with the flick of a lever, and is a great little FMQ machine. I just haven’t figured out how to make a hand crank out of a 301A yet.

CD in Oklahoma

ThayerRags Fabric Center

Singer 301A in a Card Table

The short bed 301A also fits nicely in the Singer Model 316 “Monterey” Folding Table.

I inherited my Grandmother’s (Mother’s Mother) folding table (card table) that she bought with her Singer 404 back in the late 50s or early 60s, and I plan on making it available for those few times that my Mother will need to set her 301A up for a little mending. She’s 83 now and recently moved in with us along with her own 301A, and still likes to dabble with re-homing what she calls “vintage clothing” that folks have given her over the years. Sometimes, all they need is a seam re-sewn to make them as good as new.

Most of the time, she spends her time doing cross-stitching, so there’s really not any need for a full-time sewing machine set up in a cabinet for use in her limited space. She still likes using her own machine, so I can set the card table up in her room for those few times when she’s ready to use it, and get it out of her way the rest of the time.

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    Oh, can we talk about attachments, too? I got a boatload of attachments that I would love to have identified. I'll have to take pictures of everything I got with my 301 and see if anyone can tell me what they are. I'll have to do that tonight at home.
    ---There is a Yahoo Groups site devoted just to Singer Attachments. easy to join, very good info.

On Black Fri. I purchased a "Gidget" folding table for my 301...Can't wait for it to arrive. My 301A is in a cabinet so I'll be able to keep my 301 downstairs in the back of the LR and when I want to sew at night...Pull that Gidget from under the couch and SEW...

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
    On Black Fri. I purchased a "Gidget" folding table for my 301...Can't wait for it to arrive. My 301A is in a cabinet so I'll be able to keep my 301 downstairs in the back of the LR and when I want to sew at night...Pull that Gidget from under the couch and SEW...
    Great idea!
    Lynn

Blog Entries

Nice Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    The 185 is a nice little machine, but I like the 301A better. My 185J is nestled in the Singer Model 49 cabinet here under my computer monitor. I don’t ever use it. I may end up making it into a hand crank like I did the 185K that I had (and sold), and putting a 99 into this cabinet.

Although the 301A is also a straight stitch machine like the 185 and 99, it’s just much more versatile in my opinion. It’s a very good straight stitch machine, portable or cabinet-mount with the flick of a lever, and is a great little FMQ machine. I just haven’t figured out how to make a hand crank out of a 301A yet.

CD in Oklahoma
    Thanks much for sharing the nice pictures of your machines. Loved the 185, it's such a cute color and didn't know it had a 'hand crank' option. What is the weight of the 185? Very pretty LBOW 301 . with pic of your wife's quilting..
    Hi Ho! Have a great Stitching Week...
    Elizabeth

Thanks much for sharing the nice pictures of your machines. Loved the 185, it's such a cute color and didn't know it had a 'hand crank' option. What is the weight of the 185? Very pretty LBOW 301 . with pic of your wife's quilting..
    Hi Ho! Have a great Stitching Week...
    The 185 is heavy. Not back breaking heavy, but heavy. The 301 is significantly lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    I recently won a 301A for a great price on ebay it should be here this week can't wait!
    I recieved the machine today, Wow, the seller was VERY misleading so I guess I have to learn to service/take apart, put back together etc. Oh well what's another project lol. Hopefully I can refurbish this old gal

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    I recieved the machine today, Wow, the seller was VERY misleading so I guess I have to learn to service/take apart, put back together etc. Oh well what's another project lol. Hopefully I can refurbish this old gal
    What's wrong with it?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast