99K question?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Default 99K question?

I have a 99k. Electric cord is cut up in a couple of places. Question, how hard is it to replace? It is cut on all 3 sections, moter to light, moter to plug and moter to foot petal. Only paid $15. for it and wonder if I could replace it myself...if I can find the cord.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM

I had the same problem. I rewired it all myself! I bought my supplies at Sew-Classic. http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-Cords_c34.htm
I don't know what her policy is concerning shipping to Canada. I can tell you that she is fast to ship and quick to answer questions.
There's lots of good information about rewiring here on the board and on the web.
Good luck! Its so rewarding to do it yourself!
Colleen
Old 10-31-2013, 03:19 PM

AND I take pictures with my camera of everything before I take it apart. Sometimes I draw pictures and other times I label with stickers. I figure that you can never be too careful!
Colleen
Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM

If you can do elementary wiring it's a piece of cake. There are wiring diagrams on the net and as cmrenno said Sew-Classic has the cord sets. Just pay attention to what you are doing and go slowly.

Joe
Old 10-31-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks Coleen and Joe,

I checked the cords again and those cuts didn't cut into the copper wire, so I took a chance and wraped them in electrical tape. Crossed my fingers and pluged it in. The light weakly came on, no power to the foot petal at all. So I am going to tackle it. Sew-Classic dose ship to Canada so I will check that out.

This little 99K is in great shape except for the cords and that the case has a stinky mildew smell. Got the baking soda in and with a light sanding I think its going to be good to sew.

Thanks again, Dixie
Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 PM

I use old lamp cords to replace sewing machine cords. Don't know if that is kosher or not, but they work for me. The 15's, 99's, 201's and most belt drive machines I will rewire myself as they are soooooo easy to do. All the electrical is external and comes off with a couple of screws. Now other machines like the 221 that have internal electrical, well, those are a different story but still doable. But I say go for it and just test it as you go with a good extension cord with a switch and circuit breaker built in. Just keep track of which side of the cord is attached to what.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:50 AM

I guess I am lucky so far in replacing cords; I just cut up an extension cord and replace a bad sewing machine cord; so are no zzzzzzzt's or flying electric sparks. But I don't take on anything like the above which I feel is too far over my human understanding level. Which cord is attached to what?????

I have had an entry on the board lately about my 15 91 motor dying on me; and so far no luck in getting the machine back running; could it be that little three hold cord holder thing that plugs into the end of the head of the machine? Can that be replaced? Plus we have tried several used Singer feet with no luck; should I try a plain ol' metal type that repairmen used to use when they replaced a foot pedal? Just thinking out loud (in cyber space really) here; I'll be watching this one for an answer, but not avidly, as the machine is out in a cold work shop and I won't be going out there until DH starts heating it up for the winter. And I am going nuts trying to get my Christmas projects in line, so am too preoccupied to try to work my way through an electrical (?) problem.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 PM

Thanks to an execellant suggestion from a QB member I had a friend, her sister, help with the electrial bits on the 99k. Motor dose work, purr's along nicely. Didn't replace the cords but will, I just wanted to know if the motor worked. I sanded the bits of mildew out of the lower case, a spot about 2" altogether. Now for an oil bath and to decide what to do with the lower part of the case on the outside. Its water damaged and pealing away. Wood is still in great shape. And I discovered the case was 'made in Canada', stamped into the bottom. The machine is from Clydebank Scotland.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 AM

MisDixie,

A small suggestion; if the cords are not cut through and you can remove any connector to gain access to the cord, slip some heat shrink tubing over the cut areas and heat it. That will protect and reinforce the damaged areas.
Heat shrink tubing is available at most hardware and auto parts stores.

Looks a lot better than tape.

.................................................. ...............

JoAnn,

If the motor doesn't work and you've tried several controllers then you've got a broken wire somewhere. They are not complicated but do require some intuitive investigative work. Why does this not work? What does this or that do? Where does this wire go and what does it do?

As to the availability of the three prong connector check Sew-Classic, she has them. But unless it's broke it won't be the connector.

Diagnosis is needed here, not just replacing this and that part till you give up and toss it.

Joe
Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Thanks Joe, will see if I can locate some of that.