Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone have an early Necchi BU? >

Anyone have an early Necchi BU?

Anyone have an early Necchi BU?

Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 AM

Default Anyone have an early Necchi BU?

Hi everyone

I need someone who'd be kind enough to help me out with detailed pics of the tension assembly on an old Necchi BU. It's the earlier style where the tension knob is all chrome/metal.

When I purchased my machine I didn't realise the check spring return was broken off so I'm trying to fix it. It would be great to see how it's all meant to work... I would need someone who'd be prepared to take theirs apart to share pics as I've taken mine apart and want to get it back together right. Unfortunately the manual and service manual both show the newer style of knob/assembly.

Cheers,
Amelia
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

Well, it only works one way but there have to be a million ways for the parts to go. Did you take pics as you pulled it apart? It helps to line things up in the order they came off, shoot it and then clean it up and re-assemble. Since you didn't you will have to kind of guess. There are ways tensions usually go.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Well, it only works one way but there have to be a million ways for the parts to go. Did you take pics as you pulled it apart? It helps to line things up in the order they came off, shoot it and then clean it up and re-assemble. Since you didn't you will have to kind of guess. There are ways tensions usually go.
Thanks Miriam, I recall how it was, but the problem is that I'm sure it wasn't right as both myself and the LSMG had it apart and mucking around - a combination of trying to get it to stitch as well as saying "ooooh, isn't that interesting?"

My LSMG actually had a go at unwrapping one of the coils on the spring to fashion a new return end for me - it was quite amazing to watch! The only problem is that he hadn't realised that the way it's set up on this particular machine is that you can't just move it over a bit of it's not quite right.... and unfortunately, he did it so it wasn't quite right. I had a go at re-doing it so the return was in the right position, but I couldn't fashion it into the right shape so essentially I'm back to square one.

THEN I ordered a part from the USA, but it must be for the newer type as it arrived and the spring is only about half the depth of the one that's in it (sigh). So it would be really great just to get some pics of how it's meant to look on a machine that's working. It's really only about the shape/position of the spring, not the assembly itself and how that goes together. I think I've got that part figured out
Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

sounds like BANG HEAD HERE >*<
I saw a Necchi on CL a while ago but it was broken and the guy wanted $100 for it...
Old 10-22-2013, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
sounds like BANG HEAD HERE >*<
I saw a Necchi on CL a while ago but it was broken and the guy wanted $100 for it...
Yeah... Everyone wants at least $100 for a Necchi, I was highly surprised to score mine for $75 and it was mainly for the original treadle irons that I was interested. There must be something about the way they are represented online that makes people's eyes turn into "$""$"
Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4084614813.html
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/art/4137875250.html
some can be had for $25!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:02 AM

Wow, now THAT'S cheap. Actually my Supernova was free. Luckily it came to me and not another less scrupulous person who would have plugged it in and killed themselves! It's the open table/irons that are unusual on mine so if all else fails I'll look for another machine head to go in it. Or for the replacement parts - whichever comes along first.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Hi everyone

I need someone who'd be kind enough to help me out with detailed pics of the tension assembly on an old Necchi BU. It's the earlier style where the tension knob is all chrome/metal.

When I purchased my machine I didn't realise the check spring return was broken off so I'm trying to fix it. It would be great to see how it's all meant to work... I would need someone who'd be prepared to take theirs apart to share pics as I've taken mine apart and want to get it back together right. Unfortunately the manual and service manual both show the newer style of knob/assembly.

Cheers,
Amelia
Amelia, I have a Necchi BU like you describe. We are just now on our way out the door for a couple days. If you haven't pictures of the tension by when I return, I'll get some pictures to you.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Yeah... Everyone wants at least $100 for a Necchi, I was highly surprised to score mine for $75 and it was mainly for the original treadle irons that I was interested. There must be something about the way they are represented online that makes people's eyes turn into "$""$"
I purchased my BU early in my addiction and, yes, my eyes did pop. It is a beautiful machine and makes good stitches. However, I did pay a nicely sum now I know what they can be had for.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Amelia, I have a Necchi BU like you describe. We are just now on our way out the door for a couple days. If you haven't pictures of the tension by when I return, I'll get some pictures to you.
Oooh, exciting Ron. Thank you!