Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ? >

Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ?

Anyone heard of a NEW VALLEY treadle ?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 AM

Heres another shot hopefully, and thanks again for sharing your knowledge and opinions, im so enjoying this..
And I hope I don't drive you all mad in the process
Attached Thumbnails img_1007.jpg  
Old 06-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Hi - this is a lot of fun, seeing how you are exploring your options.

Definitely replace the needle plate once you remove the one that is on there. Here in the US we have a product called Tri-flow - something like WD-40, that will eat at the rust and loosen the screws that are apparently giving you trouble. It is typically used to lubricate bicycles.

The 2 silvery plates across the bed are slide plates and they slide off to the front and back. Apparently also rusted shut, so use the Tri-flow equivalent that you have available. They will polish to a shiny state, but may show scratches and pitting. I have several machines like that and those "blemishes" do not worry me - I see them as part of the machine's history.

You should not use any chemicals that are very strong since they may ruin what is left of the finish.

"Manicmike" is the other Australian here who is very knowledgeable and helpful - PM him to give you pointers regarding the specific products available to you in your neck of the woods.

The machine looks a lot better already - you did good! Have you tried to move the needle?

Keep posting pictures - maybe also of the tin and attachments.... Our curiosity knows no limits
Old 06-28-2015, 12:33 PM

BTW - the "2 prongs" are called feed dogs (not kidding!!) and they move the fabric along as you activate the machine.

Can you post a photo of the back end of the machine? I'm curious about the lever above the bobbin winder.....

Last edited by sews; 06-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:15 PM

Hello Sews

Thankyou for your help and suggestions, I will certainly get some WD40 to get things moving! I will also contact manicmike and ask him for help!
I hadn't tried moving the needle, but it looks rusted in, so I wll WD40 it with the face plates and try to get them open too.
My main aim is to get her looking as pretty as she can be, (with my no skills, but determination) so one day when I get finished and she is in the lounge, she will smile back at me!
Hopefully this photo will cure your curiosity and I will post another later this afternoon with the tin etc..
Have a great day!
Old 06-28-2015, 02:17 PM

Well that didn't work
Trying again
Attached Thumbnails img_1012.jpg  
Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Hi -- pls don't use WD-40, it is too strong.

Ask Manicmike for the name of something like Tri-flow, available at bike shops. Beyond that, plain old Sewing Machine Oil is the preferred lubricant AND cleaning solution, inside and out, for the black cast iron machines like yours.

I was curious about the lever seen towards the top of this photo.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523788[/ATTACH]

(Below it is the bobbin winder.) If you have time, I would n't mind seeing that lever from a different angle, like 3/4 looking towards the front so we can determine what it is meant for. I haven't seen anything like it before, but that of course doesn't mean anything :-) .

Getting the needle to move is usually surprisingly easy and the best part of fixing up old sewing machines -- making it useful again after it has lain dormant for 50 or so years, even if we don't use it at all or not much...
All it takes usually is oil in all the right places, where metal meets metal and should be moving...
Attached Thumbnails nelly2.jpg  

Last edited by sews; 06-28-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:29 PM

TRI-FLOW is available in Australia:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_f...+flow&_sacat=0
Old 06-28-2015, 05:07 PM

Hi again,

Ive since taken her out of the cabinet to make it easier ( I think) to work on. I will try and post 3 photos for you I took near that lever! Hopefully one will be right! I may have to do it over 3 posts, having awful trouble with the site.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:08 PM

Hmmm ok try again!
Attached Thumbnails img_1019.jpg  
Old 06-28-2015, 05:21 PM

Gosh, the site is really playing up. Sorry about the ads all over the photos, dunno what to do about them ??
I wont use the WD40 thanks, looking forward to getting the needle moving, its the only thing stuck! Shall I put SMO in all the nearby holes?
Ok hopefully here comes another photo...
Attached Thumbnails img_1022.jpg