Bent Doesn't Mean It's Broken

Old 09-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Default Bent Doesn't Mean It's Broken

i was cleaning my singer 66-1 bobbin assembly (this is the dirtiest, grimiest machine i have worked on) and noticed that the bobbin case fin is kinda bent. duhhhh, it's not bent, it's normal. so i took a plier and tried hard to straighten it and guess what - i broke it. thought this is SS or metal at least but it looks like it's cast metal. oh well expensive lesson for me.

parts are full of oil gunk that alcohol will not even melt them. so i have to scrape it and use steel brush. i bet you the previous owner must have drenched it with 3-1 oil. it's not moving freely as i speak. it seems that it's hitting on something but i am trying to soak them in oil first.

anyone has extra parts ?? and this one is also missing the back clamp presser feet. PM me pls if you do have the bobbin case and presser feet for 66-1. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails photo-1.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 10:54 PM

Wish I could help you out. I have a Singer 66, it was my great grandma's passed down to my Nanny, then me. My mom doesn't sew.
Mine was missing the throat plate, I found a very reasonably priced replacement on eBay. Maybe check there?
I know there's lots of very knowledgeable antique machines people here that I'm sure will have some helpful ideas for you.
Regards,
Kif
Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 PM

Check with ThayerRags (CD) on his website. He sells a lot of parts for older machines. I wouldn't be surprised if he has one.
Rodney
Old 09-22-2014, 09:49 AM

singerguy,

I don't have a replacement bobbin case, but here's a tip. For machines like yours that defy normal cleaners I use Hoppe's #9 Gun Cleaning solvent. Works like a charm. Won't, or hasn't yet, damaged the finishes on any of the older black Singers I've used it on. You'll still need a brush but a tooth brush will do. Cotton balls and q-tips too. After that you can use denatured alcohol to remove the residue then oil it.

Joe
Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 AM

Ha! I thought I was the only one who had broken bobbin cases like that! And I hope you didn't feel as stupid as I did.

I think that when you consider how old those machines are, it isn't a surprise that the metal i some areas is brittle. I just with I had thought of that BEFORE I tried to straighten it out.

There are new ones available from our beloved suppliers of old things, but don't forget that there are lots of "parts" machines out there, too. I had a couple of 99's that were beyond help, but the bobbin cases were fine. Believe me, I saved that part!