Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bernina Activa 240, not vintage, but have question >

Bernina Activa 240, not vintage, but have question

Bernina Activa 240, not vintage, but have question

Old 09-27-2015, 08:09 AM

Default Bernina Activa 240, not vintage, but have question

I am a Bernina person but know little about the 240. I have a friend looking at one to buy. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of this machine and the expected value of a 2005, that was used very little? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:48 AM

I think I saw the same one!

I have the Bernina Activa 230PE from a year or two later. I love, love, love it.

The main differences in the 230 and 240 is the 240 has the knee lift control and LCD light already installed (I paid to get mine added later). The 240 has several more decorative stitches, and it has "Mirror Image" on the decorative stitches. I would love to play with the mirror images.

My 230 came with seven screw-on feet. I think the 240 had all the same original feet except it changed out the #57 patchwork foot for a different foot.

Since getting my Bernie, and thanks to a great 90% discount "Going out of Business Sale," I've added nearly every foot and accessory available for the 200 series. I've not used them to their full potential -yet- but I will. I was distracted by discovering "vintage" machines, LOL.

I love and use my Bernina Activa 230. Your friend would love the 240. Using that elusive hindsight I would have gotten the 240 instead of the 230. They are the same machine inside, but the 240 has all the whistles and bells from the start - plus the extra 10-15 (?) decorative stitches, not that my 230 is lacking in decorative choices!

If she gets it I would suggest she download the Bernina app, "My BERNINA Accessories," and check out the Bernina Feetures books, I, II, and III. They are great learning tools.

I LOVE the doll house accessories box,; some Bernina owners do not. I am trying to find an extra one to hold the overflow of feet I have.

Let us know what she decides!

Last edited by Caroline94535; 09-27-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:15 AM

As usual, I rambled on and didn't really answer your questions.

I have no idea as to the perceived value, but as for Pros...

It's light-weight and easy to carry to quilt classes, sewing groups, etc. I have a wheeled carry-case for mine. I am not tall, strong, or too healthy, still, it is easy for me to put it in and out of the case. It's also easy for me to lift the case, with the machine inside, in and out of the back of my little CRV.

It is not designed to sew boat sails or car upholstery, but it breezes through patch work, binding, mending, dress sewing, costume sewing, making curtains and crafts and doll clothes... I've quilted smaller quilts and wall hangings on it. I use it to mend dog blankets and patch work pants. I've mended fine lace curtains with it one day and did machine applique the next. It makes totes, applies piping, zippers, and buttons.

It's a lovely machine.

What is she expecting to sew with the 240?

Last edited by Caroline94535; 09-27-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:10 PM

I am pretty sure there are places you can google that will help you on the price of a used Bernina. So Google and see what you can find, or call some dealers around and see what they are asking for a used one and also check out Ebay for some clues. Sounds like a good machine. To me I would need one with a longer bed on it for quilting and room for my hands when working on other things. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:48 AM

I have no info on price, etc. but I have had my Activa 230 for several years and it is a workhorse. Never had a repair just have it cleaned once a year and clean out bobbin area every time I change bobbin thread. It gets thru really thick topstitching on totes and has a nice stitch and I have never had any tension problems...I love it. The Bernina 1/4" foot is worth it's weight in gold and the walking foot is also very handy and easy to install.