Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which bobbin tire do I need for my "new" handcrank? >

Which bobbin tire do I need for my "new" handcrank?

Which bobbin tire do I need for my "new" handcrank?

Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 AM

Default Which bobbin tire do I need for my "new" handcrank?

I'm having a dickens of a time finding a new bobbin tire for my "new" 28. It's larger than the standard bobbin tire, but all the sites that list part by model all point to the standard size for this machine so I'm guessing later models use that one. And nobody seems to post dimensions for all their bobbin tires, and I can't find a parts list...so I don't know what I'm looking for!!

The inner dimension looks around 1", and the outer diameter is about 1-5/16ths or so. Hard to measure it precisely while on the machine and it's so crumbly I can't get it off without it just turning into powder so I can't get it off to get a better measurement, so I hope that's close enough!

Anybody have an idea of what this part number is, or where I can find these?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 AM

Thank you for this question sewnoma. Believe it or not I was just going to ask the same question for my 28k. Look forward to the answer.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:44 AM

The bobbin winders are adjustable to a certain extent.
Sew-Classic does have a decent selection and does give dimensions for the ones she sells.
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }

Joe
Old 02-13-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The bobbin winders are adjustable to a certain extent.
Sew-Classic does have a decent selection and does give dimensions for the ones she sells.
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }

Joe
That's actually the first place I checked but none of the dimensions seemed right. But I wasn't really thinking about that they can stretch. (I've been sick so running low on brainpower...that's my excuse anyway)

This one looks closest, I think.
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bobb...LARGE-2460.htm

I guess for 75 cents it's worth a try, right? LOL
Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 AM

I buy from that site, because of the shipping charges, I fill my order untill the charge changes.

Ok I'll only bought there twice, 1st it was just some 2/3$ items I needed, shipping was 15$

locally a tire cost me 3$, so I bought 10 online and of different sizes, then and bunch of take up springs. to make the shipping worth doing.

next time they had a buy so much and get free shipping, so I bought handcranks to meet the price.

may come off as excessive buying , the hand cranks are all on machines, I need more take up springs and about 30 more tires . 30 tires @ $3 = #$%%$## !!!!! plus 20 bucks worth of gas
Old 02-13-2015, 12:20 PM

I'm thinking the same thing...might as well stock up on a few things since I know they have a minimum order. And it's not like this is the last old machine I'll be buying that'll need a new tire so might as well grab a few. I could use a couple belts for 99's too...

I haven't checked anywhere local, I just assumed nobody around here would carry bobbin tires for machines from 1899. But maybe I should check a couple of the local shops just to see...just wish I could get the current one off even partially intact for comparison but it just falls apart in my hand when I press on it. I suppose I could cut it, that might let me slip off enough of it...hmmm.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:12 PM

yep just cut it. but order the common ones for singers, those also fit other machines.

like you said they stretch

something she has, but listed in a weird place it seems, screws for the bobbin cases, the adjusting screw. thats the kind of thing thats worth nothing if you don't need it , but worth 100 bucks if you don't have it
Old 02-13-2015, 03:05 PM

I think that the old Singer 28 bobbin winders take tire #2460.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 02-14-2015, 05:56 AM

Perfect! 2460 is the one I thought was the most likely.

Only 75 cents....and $53 dollars later, my order has been placed and all kinds of goodies are on their way!

Thanks folks.