Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Calling All Vintage Machine Quilters! >

Calling All Vintage Machine Quilters!

Calling All Vintage Machine Quilters!

Old 11-13-2015, 03:24 PM

Smile Calling All Vintage Machine Quilters!

I've been free motion quilting on a Singer 201-2. It is truly beautiful. The tension on this machine is perfect, the mid-century Art Deco cabinet surface is smooth, slick and makes it so easy to move the quilt. I added a Bright Light, so the lighting is superb and just where I need it at the needle. There is only one problem--speed control.

The machine speed goes from off to medium-fast (for fmq) speed with no in between. I have installed an electronic pedal which made it easier to hold the speed steady, but it did not help with the speed itself or quick transition from off to medium-fast.

Im looking for other vintage machine quilters input to see how you have overcome this handicap.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

We have a special forum on this board for vintage machines. You might want to post there too for more info:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...thusiasts-f22/
Old 11-13-2015, 04:23 PM

Ohh, this is spot on for me. I have a 201 I sew on and try to get into the free motion. I have the belt version mashine, and it's not bad at all with original button bakelite controller. When it comes to speed regulating it's all about the foot controller, you might have to take it in some where or get yet another one. I plan to buy a clam shell speed controller just to know the difference.

I struggle a bit with reverse stitching, I sometimes get loops showing under the fabric when sewing in reverse, not always and I haven't quite figured it out yet. How did you go about it? I have the darning foot from the accessory box, #121994, and a generic jumping foot. I might have to get one of those clear plastic ones for quilting.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 PM

I use this one:

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...foot-55417.htm

But mine is all metal. I've seen the all metal for sale somewhere but I can't remember where now. Works wonderfully. I drop the feed dogs, reduce the bobbin tension by 1/2 a turn and it fmq's beautifully. No need to change the top tension; as a matter of fact leaving the bobbin and increasing the top tension wasn't effective at all. Don't know why, but whatever makes the machine happy! Lol

Just need to figure out this speed control.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM

After a lot of fuzz with tension, different feet, thread, being aware of speed, hand movements and what not, I am free motion stitching! It works even on my machine. I was a bit discouraged by the model 15 users a few times, since it has a few advantages and is a quilters favorite.

Did you sort out your speed issues? I know some of the new foot controllers are very good and you shall have very good feel and even acceleration with them. Since it's important to your type of sewing I would suggest trying a new one, and not give up until you have something that works. I have the old bakelite type, and that's the bad one in comparsion with the newer types. I have fairly good speed control with it.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:27 PM

I have a 301 on a grace frame with the original foot. Can you buy a newer foot already wired? One that would fit a 301?
Old 11-18-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sheddah View Post

Im looking for other vintage machine quilters input to see how you have overcome this handicap.
I have always been able to fix that problem by upgrading to a electronic foot controller.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 PM

switched to electronic foot control here too. Makes a 15 the best for FMQ. I also have an LA, but love doing smaller projects with the Singer.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I have a 301 on a grace frame with the original foot. Can you buy a newer foot already wired? One that would fit a 301?
Yes, they come both as all-in-one replacement ready to plug in or you can replace just the pedal at the end of the cable. Just make sure its' the same three prong plug for your machine.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
If it’s a Singer 301, and unless it’s an older model with the long fold-down bed (301-2), you probably should look for a 2-prong control cord for it.

CD in Oklahoma