Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can you clean off a lacquered coating added to a vintage machine? >

Can you clean off a lacquered coating added to a vintage machine?

Can you clean off a lacquered coating added to a vintage machine?

Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 AM

Default Can you clean off a lacquered coating added to a vintage machine?

Hello! Very new to vintage machines. Got a redeye that was filthy, covered in dust, gunk, some rust. Talked to someone that collects machines and sent photos and started on the addiction!! I did not have the fortune of finding your site in my hunt for cleaning one. After cleaning the obvious dirt and dismantling sections to unfreeze and clean the parts, i began to clean the head. Nothing seemed to phase it. The decals were in decent shape but dark and dull. Tried Zymol cleaning wax and it was starting to wipe off the decals. Back to sewing oil. Nothing. Found where a site recommended TR-3 resin glaze and the machine, after one black cotton ball after another, started shining. Yes, it was taking the black off the decals, but also their color. Yes, cry, scream with and at me!!! We finally have come to think that it must have been coated with something to preserve the decals. Well, the other parts have cleaned, the machine is not frozen and I have the parts to replace. I have now come across another redeye but it definitely looks coated. I will try and attach pictures. Do I just basic clean, and leave it alone, or can that lacquer be cleaned off without destroying the decals? They are so dull and dark! I am excited about the videos and tutorials I have seen here already. Just wasn't sure that this issue was addressed. THANK YOU!!! {It is only shiny here because of light on it.}
Attached Thumbnails img_3594.jpg  

Last edited by DMcG; 09-01-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Welcome!
The old black machines were coated with shellac at the factory to protect and seal on the decals. The shellac has darkened with age. You might want to read Glenn's tutorial on cleaning and repairing the clearcoat on vintage machines.
Glenn learned furniture and antique restoration from a German master.
Rodney
Old 09-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Yes, I saw that tut and wasn't sure if this was the original or an added one as there is a thick coating along the column that has even turned a cloudy white. Even the front plate is that same dark grungy look. I can't seem to add but one photo at a time. Here is the white part.[ATTACH=CONFIG]529490[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3600.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Banned

yep, shellac...

Really really, Use sewing machine oil only. It is not a modern "miracle" cleaner that wipes the grunge of with a paper towel (none actually do anyway) but it will not cause any harm to the finish of the machine. Remember that your machine took decades to get gross, it's ok for it to take days or weeks to clean.

Another thing to remember about cleaning old machines is that if you try a spot here and then try a spot there, it will be more difficult than if you start in one corner, use gentle swirling motions and once you have a clean spot continue to work from your clean spot to the mess. the transition area where it is not quite clean and not quite gross is easier to work through then a fresh area. if you do that over the whole machine it will really clean up amazing well.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529552[/ATTACH]I don't know why they keep imported sideways. This is the front plate and it also has the same dark gunky look. So excited to have found this site! I really appreciate all the help and advice. Cant wait to fix some "boat anchors" I've found and make them look good again, and hopefully find parts to make them useful again!!
Attached Thumbnails img_3598-copy-800x800-640x640-.jpg  

Last edited by DMcG; 09-01-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Banned

Hard to tell from that pic, is that paint or patina?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:42 PM

That is pretty close to what it looks like. A brown gunk like the rest of the machine
Old 09-02-2015, 04:11 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529624[/ATTACH]This has a clean plate on the right. Can you tell even the screw piece holding it on is coated, as well as the piece on top?[ATTACH=CONFIG]529625[/ATTACH] Notice the serial plate is even coated. And the white section where the column meets the base is a thick build up. That's why I think someone coated it over the regular coat because you can even see what appears to be brush strokes. Will that mean I can't do it like the tutorial on cleaning the shellac coating?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 09-02-2015, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the pictures. It does look to me like someone coated over the whole thing. The faceplate is a good test area. Try alcohol. If it cleans off, you have shellac. IIRC lacquer thinner will dissolve old lacquer. If you can find what the stuff on there is, you may have a chance at cleaning it up without destroying your decals.
Your best bet might be to clean off the plated parts and leave the body of the machine alone.
Rodney
Old 09-03-2015, 09:18 AM

Thank you to all of you that have responded! I would love to bring new life to the machines Im finding. Great therapy and joy to see the original beauty and functionality of the machines restored!!