can't get the hand wheel off!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Default can't get the hand wheel off!

I was just asked to convert a 66 to handcrank(so that a 7 year old can learn to sew). I grabbed one of my stable of red-eyes and started cleaning. It is coming along well, and I am ready to take the hand wheel and bobbin winder assembly off for cleaning.
I disengaged the clutch knob, and tried unscrewing the set screw. It spins freely, and won't come out. I have screwed it about 200 times, and these things aren't long. When I try to unscrew the clutch knob, it binds for a second and then starts rotating the shafts again. This is with the clutch knob turned counter-clockwise until it is disengaged. I can't get the handwheel off, the clutch knob backed out, or the set screw backed out. The joint is loose enough that I can feel the little knobs on the assembly itself- you know, the three fingers/flanges/extensions on the washer inside? I can just feel them with my finger.

advice??
Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 AM

so the screw won't come out ? look down in by the washer. you can see the end of that screw. find something that will fit in there and push on the end of that screw as you gently unscrew it.

you might use something like a old finger nail file, bend the handle end like the end of a crow bar ( flat end) use that as a lever
Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 AM

The set screw needs to come out. Sounds like it's stripped. I would be inclined to drill it out. You'll probably need to re-drill and tap the screw hole to fit the next larger size screw or replace the clutch knob when you're done, whichever is easier for you. There's nothing rare about those parts so replacement might make the most sense.

You might already know this. ThayerRags here sells parts on his website. He will most likely have what you need.
I hope this helps,
Rodney

EDIT: 10X replied while I was typing. His idea makes a lot of sense. I'd try it first.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

give it a bath in T-F or Kroil and wait.... Heat may help if it is dried up oil. You may have to kind of hold on to the needle bar but you don't want to bend or bind it.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:02 AM

off to get the heat gun and the dental picks.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 AM

There you go a dental pick will do it.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking I was getting distracted - DGD is trying to piece a crazy quilt - now I know why they call them crazy...
Any way - I was thinking the knob was stuck - it is the screw... Yup you might have to drill it out or push it out from the behind. It does sound like a stripped thread. If you can get the set screw far enough out to make it turn maybe you can put some tape or something over it so you can get the clutch knob off the machine - then order a clutch knob with out a stripped screw somewhere.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:56 AM

ok. Got the clutch knob off- the trick of pressing on the back of the screw did it. The whole joint was frozen with oil. It looks like motor oil rather than sewing machine oil, but who knows. This is a 1919 red eye. I will take a knob off a donor machine- I just got one out to take a tension spring off... since sew-classic did't have any tension springs for the tension assembly.
thanks guys. A little girl is going to be so happy.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

yippie it is good to win one - better your donor than and unknown