Cinderella

Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Cinderella

Good evening, morning ,day, night…
I got in Italy in Firenze a nice sewing machine, quite worn , but very nice too,it has yet some MOP little flowers.
searching on the internet I discovered it is a Cinderella, Biesolt & Locke, Meissen. the mark is a little lion.
I forgot to take a picture of merk and handcrank
Here is it, mine, and the one of the a 1887 advertising from journal of domestic appliances

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470927[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]470928[/ATTACH]

you can notice in the advertisement the curious and nice handcrank. My machine is missing of the porcelain piece, I must replace it

but for now, the history is this is the most jammed machine I never saw.
These pictures was made after some cleaning, and I think the lint is not old mineral oil, but a organic one, olive oil perhaps, one of the products of sicily

here is other pictures, marked with little stars the most important jammed points
[ATTACH=CONFIG]470929[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]470930[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]470932[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]470934[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]470936[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]470938[/ATTACH]

it is a sort of glue, that wd40 and similar doesn’t well take away, only nitro diluent, with metallic wool.

All the parts I marked with a little star are strongly glued
We was able only to unlock the two conical cog wheels, with wd40 oil and force. But the movement is not trasmissed to the under mechanism.

It is not the first dirty machine I clean but I am really confused, I don’t know if preparing a bath for it, or disassemble

We continue to oil etc, but I would ask you to counsel me about an order of action to follow in this work, and I put the little coloured stars for more clearness, because I’m Italian, and I may make confusion with parts names

Must I disassemble first the green stars? For example?

The needlebar is yet very jammed, and the shuttle carrier seems welded with the shuttle and the bar….

So… thank you… waiting four your answers cristiana
Attached Thumbnails macchina-intera.jpg   journaldomes151887lond_0152.jpg   macchina-dietro.jpg   bloccoago.jpg   dscf3238.jpg  

dscf3244.jpg   cog-e-stellina.jpg   stellat.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned

I would use a product like "KROIL" or "PB Blaster" and almost NO force... Just time.

Kroil = http://www.kanolabs.com/

PB Blaster = http://www.blastergroup.com.au/index.html

Soft Brass bristle brush and these two have always worked for me

I now HAVE to have a machine with the cross ways hand crank... have to..... sigh...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 PM

That's a nice looking machine. Hope you can get it going. I imagine at 127 years old it will take some work.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried acetone? That will often remove adhesives and also rubbing alcohol? Just trying a little on a cotton swab. Just a thought but that's how my DH loosens certain things up.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Have you tried acetone? That will often remove adhesives and also rubbing alcohol? Just trying a little on a cotton swab. Just a thought but that's how my DH loosens certain things up.
just be SUPER careful doing this. Acetone will eat paint, decals, goldleaf (the glue actually), etc
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

You should not have to dis-assemble the machine. Wear old clothes, work outside and protect your painted areas. Steve is right about letting the solvents dissolve the old oil. A gun cleaner or a brake cleaner for a car would dissolve it, too. Keep any solvents away from the top surface painted areas. You can kind of paint solvent on a small area at a time and wipe it clean so you contain the mess. Tooth picks or a wooden stick can be used to scrape off the accumulated oil. When you get done oil the places that were stuck with a good quality sewing machine oil. Do not use 3 - in - 1 oil it gums up when it dries.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:03 PM

How very nice. I hope you can get her working again.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 PM

agreed, solvents can work, but sometimes they take repeated applications, and days to finally soak in. I've heard a mixture of automatic transmission fluid (or power steering fluid, smaller bottle with twist off cap) mixed with acetone (nail polish remover) 50-50 will work as well as any of the other branded solvents. The thing with solvents is, you either need to soak a part in them, (not decals) or keep brushing it on, as the evaporation of the most volatile ingredients will mean you need to keep flooding the area. Patience and persistence! And not too much force, mostly just keep trying to rock it back and forth.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Power Poster

Some times Tri-Flow will loosen up a machine pretty quickly. One day my little 7 year old grand daughter was applying drops Tri-Flow it on a stuck Singer 99. I had her try to rock the hand wheel every time she put a drop of Tri-Flow on a joint that should move. Then one time the machine broke loose. She hugged the machine. Then Wilbur who was 3 wanted that 'brown' oil for the stuck machine he was working on. Since he is so liberal with oil I had given him regular sewing machine oil. The machine he was oiling was older and someone had used some other kind of oil than the 99 that took a lot more brushing solvent on it to get it unstuck. It is the places you can't see that you have to unstick. Places where two parts move together. If you force it something can go out of alignment and then you have more to do than unstick a machine. You have to figure a 7 year old kido can't force it too much but a kido with just oil can some times make a machine unstick. That machine in the picture above will probably need solvent. I wouldn't turn a kido loose with solvent because they wouldn't know how to keep it off the parts of the machine that should never see solvent. But doing it myself I use a solvent as if I was protecting a kido from the contact with skin or breathing the vapors or getting in on clothing, walls and floors, etc.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 AM

Oh, that is an awesome machine!!!!