Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight

So happy that you
    could do this for your Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    Miriam, thanks for the wonderful pictures and story of your mother's machine. You really need to put this all in a little photo album with the pictures and story to keep with her machine. And keep a copy of it yourself in case her copy gets misplaced. What a wonderful machine and mother you have there. If you will send me your address in a PM, I'll gladly send you a little crocheted spool pin cosie to use in place of that little red felt thing that goes under the spool of thread. If there is a special color she'd like, let me know.

Hobo2000, you also need to write up the story of your machine and grandmother to put with the machine. It is a special story that goes with a special machine, and if you don't do it, the machine won't have it's voice. If you would like of of the crocheted spool pin cosies, I'll send you one too.

Thanks again to the both of you for sharing your special stories of your machine. I just wish I knew the stories of mine. I can start from here and tell what I do know about them from here on.
    I tat my machine cozies. I'm giving a short demo on tatting this week, and am thinking of giving a cozy to anyone who has a FW or a 301 like mine. One could also be given to the person who has the oldest machine. This demo has nothing to do with sewing, but when I heard about these cute little cozies for under the spool, it just gave me an idea.
    I'll trade you. I'll send you one of mine if you send me one of yours. ? ? ? ? PM me if you wish.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
    I have two FW's. I purchased both used. I would really love to know the sewing history behind both machines, would be so fascinating to put together a small booklet and keep with each machine for historical purposes. One machine is a 1935 and the other a 1937. I love your history about your Mom's machine, and thanks for caring enough to clean her FW and keep it in working order. These little jewels were made to work and last, as were so many things in our earlier history, not like many things today, that seem to last only until paid for then require a new one such a shame. I guess because we live in such a fast paced world anymore, everything needs to be like (fast food service), and all of the disposal things we use now, use it and throw it away or buy new.
    Last weekend we were at a party. Everyone had retired to the living room for games, and the candles were left burning, as they always are. A napkin got too close to a candle and started a fire. A fireman guest knew how to put out the fire, but there was a 12 X 12 inch hole in the beautiful white table cloth. I mentioned that I could cut off the end of that table cloth and re-hem it, and it would fit a smaller table.
    The maid came the next morning and the table cloth went into the garbage. I had made that table cloth about 10 years ago and it was custom made to fit that table. That length is almost impossible to find and very expensive if you do.
    I was a little upset at first, but I also realized that not everyone is into fixing and making do as I am. I guess most people would just throw it away and buy a new one.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I loved your Featherweight stories. I bought a Featherweight about 2 years ago off CL. It was a 1947 year model per the add. We met in a public parking lot and had the exchange: money for machine. After getting it home and checking her out, I discovered that the serial number had been shaved off the bottom of the machine. Since then I always wondered "were Featherweights "Hot" items back in there days"? I do not think I have ever read about serial numbers being shaved off the bottom of machines on any of the threads on this board.

Blog Entries
    I have loved reading this this evening. Miriam, you're in the wrong business--your story was as good as any Debbie Macomber book I've read lately.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    I have loved reading this this evening. Miriam, you're in the wrong business--your story was as good as any Debbie Macomber book I've read lately.....
    Little do you know... I sling Debbie Macomber books for my day job... over rated...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4