Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Colorado get-together?

September 1, 2018 Colorado Get-together

We had our regular Saturday morning get together, ten o'clock at Perkins, on the first Saturday of September. We welcomed a new person to our group, named Carol. Also there were Dorothy, Dianne, Courtney, Cheryl and Chris and Janey and John.

Dianne brought another one of her collection of very small sewing machines, a SewMaster, shown below. It's a chain stitch machine that she is working on to make it sew.

Name:  Dianne SewMaster.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  76.9 KB

Dianne also brought an interesting sewing kit. The picture is a little blurry, but you can still see the clever idea.

Name:  Dianne Sewing Kit.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  54.4 KB

John and Janey brought one of their two sewing machine work stands. These rotatable work stands allow easy access to a sewing machine from all sides, for maintenance, oiling, cleaning or repair. The stand was set up on one of the tables after we ate, for a post-breakfast demonstration. Below, John and Courtney may be seen looking at the stand, with the machine in the upright position.

Name:  Workstand-MachineUpright.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  82.1 KB

The work stand allows a machine to be rotated to any one of sixteen positions. Below, John and Courtney are looking at one of the interesting mechanisms found on the White 11 sewing machine, showing the machine in its upside down position.

Name:  Workstand-MachineUpsideDown.JPG
Size:  80.8 KB

The work stand also allows a machine to be turned on its end, allowing easy work on some tricky hand wheels, such as White 41 and 43, with ball bearings that can fall out.

Name:  Workstand-MachineOnEnd.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  101.6 KB

The workstands have interchangeable baseboards to accommodate various machines, including Singer standard, three-quarter size, Featherweight, Kenmore, White and others. A great number of non-Singer sewing machines adopted Singer sizes and also fit the Singer standard and three-quarter sized baseboards. A few of the baseboards were brought to show.

Name:  Kenmore&FeatherweightBaseboards.JPG
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  SingerUniversalBaseboardCloseup.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  66.2 KB

A thread detailing the construction of a workstand may be found on QuiltingBoard at:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...d-t264914.html

We will post here again after next month's meeting.
    Janey & John

Quote Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post

We will post here again after next month's meeting.
    Looking forward to it.

bkay

October 6, 2018 CO get-together, Part 1

A cold and cloudy overnight drizzle gave way to sunshine and a lot of blue sky by the time we met for the October meeting of the Colorado antique sewing machine enthusiasts group. Fall is in the air.

Our newest member Carol was there for a second time. Also there were Dorothy, Courtney, Cheryl & Chris and Janey & John. Seven of us in all.

Dorothy brought an interesting machine that she has, a Thompson Mini-Walker. Janey has found a classified ad for this machine in a 1980 "Popular Mechanics." It is based on a machine that is a Singer 15 clone, but with several modifications. It features a walking foot that is driven by an external bar added to the rear of the machine. It connects the additional presser bar and foot to the top of the pillar. The additional parts are covered with a metal case added to the outside. It also has two tension assemblies, one on top and one on the nose plate. It has a heavy duty motor that is connected through a two-step reduction. It uses two timing belts with ribs to match cogs in pulley even on the hand wheel, so it can't slip. She brought a sample of the leather she is able to sew with it. Quite a workhorse.

Name:  Dorothy Full front thompson.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  153.9 KB

Name:  Dorothy removing outsides.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  Dorothy 15 reveal-n-carrier.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  171.1 KB

Name:  Dorothy back-n-nose.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  154.2 KB

Name:  Dorothy walking foot.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  Dorothy thompson motor.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  Dorothy-Hand wheel cogs.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  137.7 KB

Dorothy also brought the machine with a carrier made with webbing to wrap around the plastic case. Unfortunately didn't get picture of it around the case. The picture above that shows the "reveal" shows it under the base.

Name:  Dorothy case carrier.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  126.8 KB

..... to be continued in "October 6, 2018 CO get-together, Part 2"
    Janey & John

October 6, 2018 CO get-together, Part 2

continuation of above post....

Courtney is working with a Raspberry-Pi micro-controller to do some sophisticated speed control for a sewing machine. Chris, being an engineer and John talked with him a bit, brainstorming a few ideas about how to interface to the machine.

Name:  raspberry pi controller.jpg
Size:  122.1 KB

Janey brought an example for a controller cover made from a quilted place mat. Such controller covers help to avoid scratches to a machine when the controller is placed under the harp when put away. Janey likes to sew the cover on the machine it is intended for.

John and Dorothy talked a little bit about a work stand that she is putting together to do work on machines more easily, the Thompson Mini-Walker among them. It's an extra heavy machine.

Several interesting books were brought for people to look through. We have some pictures of them, shown below. The "Coats" book defines stitches and seams used in industrial settings. The 1935 "Student Manual" shows converting treadle to a motorized machine. The Sears catalog has the Franklin Sewing machine near the front, but the motor for sewing machine is near the back. I think the "Invention of the Sewing Machine" may be a compliment to the video. (Janey can't find the link)

Name:  Coats book.jpg
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  Coats stitch-seams definitions.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  Cheryl-1935 Student Manual.jpg
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  Cheryl-Student treadleconvert.jpg
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  Carol-1923 Sears.jpg
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  Carol-Sears Franklin head.jpg
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  Carol-Sears Motor.jpg
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  Cheryl-Invention of SM.jpg
Size:  103.4 KB

We intend to meet again next month. We look forward to posting again then.
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-08-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Janey & John

When I saw the pics of the Mini-walker I wasn't all that impressed. Then I read about it.. wow. It is a mini Industrial machine. Never heard of it. Sounds great..
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Indeed it is a neat machine. Dorothy's, I think, is the first model. I still haven't gotten the progression right as found some later models from the mid 1980s with the same "dealer." https://sailrite.wordpress.com/tag/s...ewing-machine/ Sailrite evidently badged the later models and then had their engineers develop the zig zag model after the Thompson. I did find a later patent that was assigned to Sailrite.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Wow. Just found this thread and read the whole thing. Thoroughly enjoyed it. About the button hook - are you using it to clean/work on machines? It is celluloid and you mentioned not caring what it is made from but to keep it you will need to keep it out of the sun and away from any heat source. We are talking about not going to Arizona next year but travelling around more. Perhaps we will get to Colorado. Would love to come and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    Wow. Just found this thread and read the whole thing. Thoroughly enjoyed it. About the button hook - are you using it to clean/work on machines? It is celluloid and you mentioned not caring what it is made from but to keep it you will need to keep it out of the sun and away from any heat source. We are talking about not going to Arizona next year but travelling around more. Perhaps we will get to Colorado. Would love to come and learn.
    Thank you so very much for your post.

No, I had just found the button hook with some sewing stuff. I actually found a metal JC Penney's one with a Touch & Sew machine. I was initially rather surprised. I thought about it and then needed it for one of my blouses. Decided then. that they come in handy for their intended purpose. Thank you for the information. I found a celluloid knitting needle but the tip of it was in pieces. I don't want that to happen to the button hook.

If you should come through Colorado, please let us know. We have an off board mailing list for our get-togethers. Should anyone be in the Front Range/Denver area we would love to call a special get-together. I know John and I sure enjoyed meeting with Leon & Iris. Hopefully, sometime they will make it back sometime we can all get-together.

Janey & John

Janey and John: I shall follow this thread assiduously but my husband has just told me we can't come as we can't chance the weather. Perhaps in future years when we have downsized our motor home and will be taking shorter trips in the summer time. It seems each trip we meet snow at some point - gets pretty scary.

Iris and I loved our visit and will try again when we go West. Another new baby arrived out there about a month ago.

I just stumbled upon this thread! I live in the Denver area (Lakewood to be exact). A lot of interesting vintage sewing machines. :-) How fun to meet like this. I will be following, hope to get to join ya'll in the future!
    Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
    I just stumbled upon this thread! I live in the Denver area (Lakewood to be exact). A lot of interesting vintage sewing machines. :-) How fun to meet like this. I will be following, hope to get to join ya'll in the future!
    As I mentioned before, we have an off board mailing list for our get-togethers. Some are not members on Quilting Board and/or don't check very often. We found that personal email is a better way for us to communicate. If you should like to join us, please PM us with your email. Currently, we are meeting the first Saturday of the month. Since it is in a restaurant we need to know ahead of time how many will be meeting so we can have room.

It really is a lot of fun to meet like this. I know we might miss some topics that were discussed in our get-togethers when we post here. As you can tell from what we have posted about, there are a lot of different things that we talk about, We get to see some fun machines, books and other things as well.

Janey & John

November 3, 2018 - Colorado Get-together

What began as a chilly and rainy morning, changed to blue sky and sunshine by the time we were meeting at Perkins. Our monthly sewing machine get together met at ten o'clock and had as many people attending as we have ever had.

We welcomed a new person named Dawn, joining us for the first time. She brought a Bel-Air 600, made in occupied Japan. It does need to be rewired. It had a bag of attachments, some of which were unfamiliar to her, as to their function. Janey and Dorothy went through them with her as to what they were. With only a little rust in a few places, the Bel-Air should restore nicely and work fine. We talked about rust removers, polishes and oils, among other things. A picture of her machine is shown below.

Name:  Dawn Belair.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  149.9 KB

Name:  Dawn- need rewire.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  Dawn hemmers.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  Dawn ruffler one of bias gauge.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  Dawn tucker.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  102.1 KB

Also at our get together were Courtney, Dianne, Cheryl & Chris, Dorothy, Carol, Paula, Janey & John. Ten of us in all.

As a surprise, Dorothy made some much appreciated and well received sewing machine carriers for everyone who attended. There was some talk about the plans for it at the last meeting, but Dorothy arrived with several of them already made.

Each carrier has a tough fabric bottom, with heavy duty straps to hold a machine safely, and providing a handle for carrying it easily. It's a great design. If anyone has ever had the handle of a case top come loose, this is the thing to prevent that. Just about any machine in a portable case can be carried safely and with ease. Thank you Dorothy.

Name:  Carol Bobbin Winder Dorothy carrier.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  134.4 KB

Dianne brought an interesting antique toy machine made of wood. She emailed us a few days ago that she would be bringing a wooden sewing machine and it had some of us looking up on the internet what it could possibly be.

It features a ring shaped wooden body with metal moving parts. It is a chain stitch machine and has a section of the ring which is removable to allow fabric to be more easily pulled through the very small machine. The name of the machine is a Practical. According to https://sewalot.com/foley%20&%20williams%20goodrich.htm and http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.php/Goodrich it is a Foley & Williams machine.

Name:  Practical front.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  Practical rear.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  137.4 KB

Courtney brought an interesting metal sculpture of a man sitting at a sewing machine, the man being formed from a bent railroad spike with other metal pieces being used to form a table and sewing machine. Thread was made from wire.

Name:  Courtney heavy metal.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  134.4 KB

Courtney also brought a tote his wife had given him with a Willcox & Gibbs printed on it.

Name:  Courtney tote.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  141.0 KB

There was an industrial bobbin winder that Carol brought which is shown above with Dorothy's carrier. Dorothy, our resident industrial guru, told us that bobbin winders were specific to the various machines. Carol's appears to be for such machines as 35-1, 78-1, 111W100 and 151W6.

Paula brought a picture of an interesting drop-at-a-time oiling pen. It was one her phone. Sorry, no picture.

John talked to Chris and Cheryl about the wiring of a Montgomery Wards machine that Janey got this month. It has a "Chicago" plug on the rear of the pillar, believed to be a power connection, but is a socket. This would mean that the power cord would have pins- posing a safety hazard. We will have to determine the wiring design with a meter, but may be looking for a plug for it. We talked about the possibility of making a plug, with two soldered metal pins and set in potting compound for an insulated plug body.

Courtney and John talked a little bit more about a computer sewing machine controller that Courtney is working on.

I'm sure there were things talked about that were missed here. But these, at least, were the highlights of the meeting.

We plan to meet again next month and will post the minutes of the next meeting here.
    Janey & John

Correction to November 3, 2018 - Colorado Get-together

There is a correction to the machines that the bobbin winder is for. It should NOT include 35-1. The 35-1 is a carpet sewing machine and uses two spools of thread, but no bobbin.

Janey & John

Colorado Get-together December 1, 2018 part 1

A cold gray morning in Denver covered things in frost and a thin coating of ice. But by the time we met at 10 O'clock, there were blue skies, the sun was out and it all melted away. Those of us who travel some distance had been worried about a possible snow forecast, which didn't materialize.

At the meeting were Courtney, Dianne, April, Dorothy, Carol, Janey and John. At the end of the meeting Courtney's wife Connie, who had dropped Courtney off and was doing other things, joined us for a little more conversation.

Courtney brought a Wheeler & Wilson machine, thought to be from about 1871. He thinks it might be a model 4. It has interesting flat bobbins and several attachments, some of them unknown as to what they do. It uses a curved needle and Courtney explained a little of his experimentation making more of them from straight needles. It would use a wide drive belt (maybe inch or inch and a quarter wide). Courtney is trying to fashion one for it. Courtney keeps accessories for it in a carved Wheeler & Wilson wooden box. Pictures are below.

Name:  Courtney WW  front.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  Courtney WW back.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  Courtney WW badge.jpg
Size:  137.5 KB

Name:  Courtney WW boxjpg.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  179.4 KB

Does any one know what the item is for that is between the bobbins on the right of the pictures?

Name:  Courtney-attach.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  125.9 KB

Name:  Courtney-attach-diff unk.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  136.9 KB

Dorothy brought a Thompson machine for April to use in some sewing projects using leather and denim. More of an industrial machine, the Thompson will sew what a domestic machine will not. She broke a size 26 needle and brought to show how large it is. No way would it work in a domestic machine.

Name:  Dorothy broken industrial needle.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  123.8 KB

April told us a little about her sewing room and her plans. She showed us a very nice sample of her free-motion embroidery, a smart-phone case, pictured below.

Name:  April phone tote.jpg
Size:  157.0 KB

Name:  April-phone tote closeup.jpg
Size:  204.3 KB

To Be Continued....
    Janey & John

Colorado Get-together December 1, 2018 part 2

Dianne brought pictures of quilts she is working on with Half Square Triangles. They feature repeating designs in something of an optical illusion, appearing to vary with the background behind them, but they are actually the same.

Name:  Dianne HST 1.jpg
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  Dianne HST 2-inspiration.jpg
Size:  176.4 KB

Carol brought a box of controllers, cords and other accessories including such things as White ZigZag attachment, Singer Blind Stitch attachment, a couple of darner, embroidery springs with hoops and some Greist attachments. Fortunately, the Greist attachments have the adapter needed to change the feet.

Name:  Carol attachment box wtih Greist.jpg
Size:  114.7 KB

Name:  Carol blind stitch and darning springs.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  Carol plug .jpg
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  Carol plug back .jpg
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  Carol-White ZigZagger.jpg
Size:  143.6 KB

Janey brought information about the story of Greist(Griest) and a print out of a chart found at http://xfossils.com/cintipam/boye/chart1.jpg from 1909 to identify various feet. She also had a print out of the first page of http://patentimages.storage.googleap...fs/US55869.pdf that was the patent that indicates that it is for a "pinking machine," however, the second page calls it a "puncturing-machine for making patterns." Later Thomas Edison was granted patent 180,857. Even later Griest was granted patent 208,905. There was another non-sewing machine attachment patent that was granted to Griest #290229 for "Art of Riveting Metals Together" which surely was used for manufacturing attachments.

John brought a large print of last year's sewing machine Christmas card for those who had not seen it. A large resolution image can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...914-585861.JPG

Name:  OurWorkbench-poster.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  128.7 KB

We plan to meet again the first Saturday, after the first of the year. Until then, we wish everyone happy and festive holidays and a happy new year!
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 12-03-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Janey & John

Beautiful work on that smart phone casel.

I have a W and W like Courtney's Very curious as to how the needles will work out. I haven't placyed with mine yet and don't know aoubt at accessory.

Thanks so much for sharing. I always enjoy reading this.

bkay

I have joined the board mainly for the vintage thread here. I won't be able to attend your meeting this month as I have work this Saturday but would like contact info for future meetings I may be able to attend!

I currently have 3 sewing machines which all qualify as vintage. The first one I got last year from my brother and it is a Japanese made Elgin 2468 from 1958. It has all the cams and accessories and currently in a more modern plastic travel case. It runs well and weighs a ton.

The second one I bought is a branded Reversew Rex machine in its own cabinet. It is called a Coronado and does need some rewiring work as the wires leading to the knee pedal are crumbling apart. Fortunately it is an early enough model that the Chicago connectors will unscrew although it took me a while to figure out how to unscrew it. Other than that it needs a new bobbin tire and a new friction wheel as it developed a flat spot over the years. Cosmetically it looks great and should be easy to restore.

My last purchase is a 1924 Singer 15-30 in an non Singer cabinet. i have already put it in running condition. It does have some features that don't quite match what the Singer 15-30 is supposed to have. It had been converted to electric at one point but the handwheel is a solid wheel not a spoked wheel so not quite sure if it was converted from treadle or handcrank. Also the bobbin winding system actually has the worm gear drive cam on the underside instead of the front as in all of the photos of the 15-30s I have seen. It is missing the decorative backplate as who ever converted it to electricity did not install it over the light fixture plate. The Tiffany decorations are in great shape and I should be able to restore it to near new looking.

Welcome Jim. Nice start on vintage machines. Tiffany decals are my favorite. I'm wondering if you may have a 15-62 as seen at http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...es/image63.htm

PM coming your way.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-03-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: additional info
    Janey & John

It sure looks like a 15-62 which according to the link you provided is really a motorized 15-30 version that was sold by Singer with a solid wheel. The original motor is long gone and replaced with a newer one. Too bad the picture does not have enough detail on the bobbin winder assembly but it might look like mine.

January 5, 2019 - Colorado Get-together

The Colorado Antique and Vintage Sewing Machine Collectors Group met for the first time in 2019, on Saturday the 5th, ten o'clock at Perkins in Denver. With a recent arctic blast having left us, we were blessed with a sunny and crisp 30 degree morning which turned to a gorgeous, clear fifty degree day by the time our meeting was over. Dianne was there, along with Courtney, Carol, Dorothy, Janey and John.

Janey brought samples of some keys she is making for bentwood case tops that have lost their associated keys. She has several kinds she is experimenting with, some of which are shown below. One made from a fork, the one with purple plastic was actually made by locksmith, the other was a key blank that Janey's brother cut.

Name:  Janey-bentwoodkeys.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  126.1 KB

Courtney brought sewing related Christmas gifts he had received. A 2019 calendar with vintage sewing machine ads , a miniature cast sewing machine (a little larger than the pencil sharpener type) and an old library book -"The International History of the Sewing Machine" to show the group.

Name:  Courtney-calendar.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  Courtney-giftSM.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  Courtney-SMbook.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  143.6 KB

Dianne brought some ephemera envelopes from India -the envelope it came in and the envelope with a quote from Ghandi about Singer Sewing machines. She also brought each of us a printed picture of an antique sewing machine that she wanted called a Buckeye. It went for an outrageous amount of $$$$ (not to her) and was missing the bobbin winder.

Name:  Dianne-envelope.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  Dianne-Ghandiquote.jpg
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  Dianne-wishfulthinking.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  122.3 KB

Carol brought an assortment of attachments that had been in the drawers of her grandmother's machine. Dorothy and Janey tried to identify as to their purpose and which machines they were for. Needless to say, a significant amount of time was spent going through them individually. The circled items - the small unknown item on top might be for ruffler?, the shirr plate and underbraider- should give some indication as to which machine they belong to.

Name:  Carol_unk-shirrplate-underbraid.jpg
Size:  140.0 KB

The numbered pieces belong to a tucker, the actual piece that attaches to the presser bar was there but not shown.

Name:  Carol-labeledtuckerpieces.jpg
Size:  136.8 KB

And some actually for her grandmother's machine

Name:  Carol-some back clamp.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  130.1 KB

A good time was had by all and we plan to meet again the first Saturday of February, posting our meeting notes then.
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-07-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    Janey & John

February 2, 2019 Get-together

We were blessed with a beautiful Colorado day. Starting at about 30 degrees at sunrise, it was clear and comfortable by 10 o'clock as we met at Perkins.

We welcomed two new members to the group, James and Valerie. Also there were Dawn, Dorothy, Courtney, Paula, Carol, Janey and John.

James brought an Elna Supermatic that he recently acquired. The case turns into a platform that the free arm fits into, allowing a large work surface. This is the one that has the screw off knob for the cams. He's fashioning a handle for the case which had broken.

Name:  James-Elna Supermatic.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  123.4 KB

Name:  James-Elnacams.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  125.3 KB

Courtney brought a small Willcox & Gibbs chain stitch machine that has a stuck needle bar that normal solvents haven't gotten to. We puzzled over what to try and methods of applying gentle force. The machine fit nicely into in the tote that he had brought to the November 3, 2018 get-together.

Name:  Courtney-Willcox Gibbs.jpg
Size:  153.8 KB

Courtney also brought a Singer 201-2, from which he removed the potted motor and replaced it with a hand wheel from a fifteen clone and a regular belted motor. It can now accept a hand crank or be used in a treadle. He did a very nice conversion.

Name:  Courtney HB 201-2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  Courtney HB 201-2 top.jpg
Size:  131.6 KB

Carol brought the "Singer Needle Guide," which told about the die pressed method of manufacturing needles, as well as terminology of needles. Another book she brought was "Sewing Machine Attachments Handbook."

Name:  Carol-singer needle guide.jpg
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  Carol-singer needles.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  Carol-SMattach handbook.jpg
Size:  120.8 KB

Carol also brought a stack of log cabin quilt blocks that she had gotten at an estate sale. They were wool hand stitched onto a many different foundations and then basted. Perhaps it was basted so would hold in place so that wouldn't have to press after each seam.

Name:  Carol-wool log cabin.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  145.1 KB

Janey brought the manual for an interesting machine called a Logica. It has a much different case and layout from most machines. A similar machine was also made for Kenmore, called a SensorSew. Only a picture can do the description justice. Some of the stitches were done on the felt were done with the circle stitcher.

Name:  Janey-logica manual-play.jpg
Size:  126.9 KB

It was an energetic and interesting get together. Each new person that joins adds something of themselves to the group. We're getting more interesting and diverse.

We plan on meeting next month and we will post again then.
    Janey & John

March 2, 2019 Colorado get-together

Saturday morning brought us a cold gray Colorado day, with temperatures starting in the high 20s, only expected to fall throughout the day, down into single digits, with several inches of snow expected. Fortunately the bad weather waited for us to have our get together here in Denver. A foot or more of snow had already fallen in the closeby mountains and it was already beginning on the other side of town.

We gathered at Perkins for our March meeting at ten o'clock. Cheryl and Chris were there along with James, Carol, Janey and John. The weather elsewhere and conflicting commitments prevented a few of our regulars from attending, who were missed.

One of our new members, James, brought a 3D printed Elna drive wheel that he got from a 3D printing company. Made of a white nylon material, it should be an excellent replacement. He fitted it with rubber O-rings to provide the friction surface needed. A picture of it is shown here.

Name:  3D elna wheel.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  125.4 KB

James also brought a Singer 15 with Tiffany/Gingerbread decals in very nice condition. He thinks it might be a 15-30. Janey thinks it might be a 15-62. Other opinions are welcome. Curiously, the decals showed the most sign of wear on the back of the pillar, underneath the space usually occupied by the motor.

Name:  Tiffany bed.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  154.1 KB

Name:  Tiffany full.jpg
Size:  148.2 KB

Janey brought a turfing implement, patented in 1891, that she recently acquired, a picture of which is shown below. She also brought a Wonder Hemstitcher, from the 1930s, and a fabric sample of the hem stitcher's use.

Name:  turfing-implement.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  Wonder Hemstitcher.jpg
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  Wonder sample.jpg
Size:  152.3 KB

We talked a little bit, particularly at one end of the table, about wood finishes, shellac in particular. Cheryl and Chris have quite a bit of experience with refinishing. There was also some discussion about the Revco reverse attachment and puzzle boxes.

We look forward to our next meeting in early April and will post here again then.
    Janey & John

quote "
    James, brought a 3D printed Elna drive wheel that he got from a 3D printing company. Made of a white nylon material, it should be an excellent replacement. He fitted it with rubber O-rings to provide the friction surface needed."

Aha, I knew someone was working on these. Are these wheels or specs available to others yet? Thanks.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast