Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Couldn't pass up this Singer 15-91 >

Couldn't pass up this Singer 15-91

Couldn't pass up this Singer 15-91

Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 PM

Default Couldn't pass up this Singer 15-91

Craigslist ad said - 1940's Singer in Case
Photos looked very nice - bit of backing and forthing via text - she sent me the serial number from which I deduced that it was a 1953 15-91.
When we met my wife had a 15-91 which she sold ages ago. She recently said she thought it was one of the nicest machines she'd ever owned. Well - armed with that DeFacto permission I went for it.
Obviously it's not a portable but a cabinet/bench model. Had a lot of accessories - feet - book - original lubricant...nothing exotic though.
Cabinet is quite nice - machine appears to have seen little use. Seller said her aunt bought it new and later gave it to her. It sat in her bedroom for the past 25 years unused.
It's stiff - this was out in a cold garage - didn't want to push it but did plug in to see if the motor responded at all. She responded pretty much the way I do first thing in the morning. All in all, though, I thought it was worth the $50.

Side note: The end result of the backing and forthing was that I told her I'd take it and that I would get it tomorrow afternoon. She agreed.
Things changed and I was able to go tonight.
When I arrived there was a guy checking out a snow blower in the driveway - the machine was in the open garage. She's running a moving sale this weekend and put things on CL in advance.
Her daughter or niece - not sure - was helping me check out the Singer.
The seller finished with the snow blower deal and came over to where I was. We exchanged pleasantries - I asked the obligatory question - "Do you have any room in the price". She said "Oh no...there's a fellow who said he'd take it for $50 and said he'd be here afternoon."
Needless to say - that fellow is me.
Not that I begrudge the price in any way - but she was all set to sell it out from under me - to me.

As the advice to J.J. Gittes went..."Forget it Jake...it's Craigslist"
:-)

About the machine though - any advice other than the usual clean it - oil it - ease it back into working trim?
Attached Thumbnails 1383098222301.jpg   1383098228907.jpg   1383098250493.jpg   1383098233705.jpg   1383098258915.jpg  

Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 PM

I think you'll like the 15 in a cabinet.... it stays put and when you're putting together a big quilt that's a good thing. And you got so many extras.... that's great. I bought a 15-91 this past summer and I love it... I need another because I left it at our summer cabin and I'd love to have another one where I spend my winters. Enjoy it.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Looks nice, though it doesn't sound like she was ready to sell it out from under you.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM

That is one beautiful machine! Omg! what an awesome price too! I paid the same price for the same machine and cabinet, but my cabinet has been used hard. Mine is a 1946 model. I still love it. I use it all the time and I have another 15-91 that I have had since 1975 that is a 1951 model, my dh paid $20 for that then. Have I ever got my money worth out of that. The one thing my dh did was grease the motor and oil it good according to directions. You know the feed dogs drop on these machiness for FM. Enjoy!

Last edited by deedum; 10-29-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Looks nice, though it doesn't sound like she was ready to sell it out from under you.
Well - I'm pretty much sure she was. She didn't know I was the person who'd been texting with her that afternoon...and when I told her that I was the person coming tomorrow afternoon she said.... "oh..." and left me to finish things up with the daughter/niece.
It really doesn't matter and I think it's kind of funny in a Craigslist kind of way :-)
Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I think you'll like the 15 in a cabinet.... it stays put and when you're putting together a big quilt that's a good thing. And you got so many extras.... that's great. I bought a 15-91 this past summer and I love it... I need another because I left it at our summer cabin and I'd love to have another one where I spend my winters. Enjoy it.
I read your comments about your 15-91 before I pulled the trigger on this one. They were another motivator for me :-)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 PM

Wow, everything looks brand new! Really, it looks unused. And that is a beautiful cabinet and stool. I bought a very similar set-up in 1982 for $80 at an antique shop in Vermont. The cabinet was the same (#40 with straight legs, mahogany), but I think my seat cover was brown. I can't remember if I had the potted motor or the belt motor. It was stolen when I lent it to a friend. Up until then it was a great machine!

About the seller being willing to sell it out from under you -- who did she think you were? A passer-by? Some people put in their ad "first come first served", as a warning that they're liable to do that. There are so many flakes and people who never show. But I hope she would have at least texted you to let you know it was sold.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:11 PM

I'm not sure what she thought...but she's moving and it seemed like quite an upheaval for her so I don't fault her. It's just one of those shake your head moments :-)
Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Power Poster

When I find something I want on CL I get there ASAP for that reason. I've learned the hard way.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:41 AM

Everytime ya'll start talking about CL I have to go look. Few machines and the prices are outrageous. But the collecting bug is starting to spread, several people have mentioned what great machines they've found. Not on CL.