Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did I spend too much? New featherweight

Here is a cover you can make for your case, so cute! Several YouTube video on how to make one.. You will enjoy her when you give her some TLC.
    Feather Weight Carry Case Cover

Stop whining and find time to quilt!
    My sewing machines are Singer Featherweight, three Singer 201-2, Singer 15-91, Singer 66-16. Singer 66 Redeye treadle, Sewmor Deluxe Japanese 201 clone, Free-Westinghouse with shuttle bobbin, Viscount hand cranked, Brother PRW420 and Brother serger.

No you didn't bad at all. My Featherweight cost more but it came with the cord and bobbin case. I'd get her all up and running and you'll be thrilled with how nice your Featherweight runs and enjoy it all!

Blog Entries
    I would have grabbed that 221 at $200. Go to www.novamontgomery.com She not only sells original parts, but shows how to clean and restore our beloved machines. Love, love, love her site.

Two things I've really been glad I bought: replacement LED bulb (much brighter light and stays cool) and the tune-up kit from the featherweight shop site (easy to use oil bottle and grease applicator) plus their videos were really helpful.

You will love it when you have her up and running. Look into the Featherweight Shop for great tutorials on how to redo the case, and repairs you can do your self. They have an online store so you can replace parts etc... They also have a facebook page that ends up having lots of ideas. Have fun with it.

Eight years ago I paid $275.00 plus tax. I looked online at the time and they all ranged in the $200 to $500 range in varying degrees of disrepair.
    I think you got a deal.

Oh my gosh I had no idea they had gone up in price that much. I bought my aunt's at her sale a few (6 maybe) years ago and got it for a song at the prices shown. My uncle had bought it for her and she treated it like it was a piece of gold so it looks and runs like new, the case is in new shape all the wiring looks new, everything is like it is new, has bobbins and attachments galore, so guess I have a gold mine sitting in there and didn't realize it. I am just thrilled to have it and have it in such good shape. That little machine is one great sewing machine, love to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by alderdweller View Post
    Hubby and I were at an auction today and they brought out this Featherweight. We did not have a chance to look it over beforehand, and the bidding was going fast. Since I had always wanted one, we foolishly bid on it almost sight unseen.
    So when I get a chance to look it over, it's going to need a new cord, a new bobbin case (this one is missing) and some new bobbins. The machine itself looks to be in fair condition, though I cannot even plug it up due to cord is deteriorated. The case is in pretty bad condition and there are no attachments, manuals or anything included.
    In the excitement of the bid, I am in $200 plus tax.
    I am kinda heartsick. Did I do terrible?
    I paid $225 for mine which also had the table in which to insert it. The one I bought sews like a dream. I had to replace the motor which was shot, but otherwise I am pleased with my purchase. So you didn't pay too much. I've seen white ones for as high as $650. Of course, the white ones are rarer.

I also bought those LED lights for mine and they are wonderful. I got mine at the Featherweight Shop. And yes, they have great tutorials.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new baby! I love her and think you got her for a great price! If you have buyers remorse I know someone who would buy her as is...Me
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

From the photo, your case looks solid. Just like the machine it only needs a little TLC. There are lots of videos on here if it is a bit smelly. They usually are because of the animal glue that was used in their construction. The exterior can be brought back to a surprisingly good looking condition. It will protect your machine if you take it anywhere or just keep it clean if it is put away. One of your catches looks like it might need replacing but even that is doable. Don't fret you did fine. Keep us posted on your journey of renewal.

Several years ago hubby bought my FW for $550 in mint condition with a zigzag attachment and original manual. It had a new pedal and cord. No I think it was too much. Case was like new except for the old smell. Local sewing machine store charges $90 for cleaning and adjustments add on the labor and parts for that machine will add a lot to your purchase price. Hopefully it doesnít need a motor. I donít like sewing with mine but canít tell my husband cause I told him I wanted one.

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Wow, I'd love to have it for $200!! I'll put a new cord on it and fix the bobbin case.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2019 at 01:34 PM.

My sister bought a Featherweight at an estate sale and spent $150 replacing the cord and bobbin case and other stuff. She sold it for $400. I think she still has 3. I think they are really cute but I like to sew fast. You got a good deal. She took a Featherweight maintenance and the teacher said the only way you can kill these machines is toss them into the ocean. She maintains her own and has also help friends who have purchased featherweights. One friend picked one up for $30 at a pre-garage sale the nonprofit she volunteers at was having. Last year she also scored a huge sack full of fabric and packaged batting that was going to be tossed. Contemporary Japanese fabric and vintage fabrics in small tops, by vintage I mean authentic Civil War prints). I was the beneficiary of all the vintage stuff.

Local Auctioneer buys whole estates then resells piece by piece. I knew this estate had a FW so I called him & he told me over phone $300 but took my $250 offer. I knew owner & knew it would be mint condition, case & all. Imagine my face when I found out it was white ! I wanted black ! Oh well. I enjoy it. Original sales slip says it cost $106.00

Well, tranum, the irony is that now the white ones sell for several hundred dollars more than the black ones!

Just now saw your post. Not to worry. You did okay on the buying price and chances are she'll run beautifully for you. You've also found the best place to purchase things for her. Check out their tutorials on how to care for her. You do need to clean it up and oil/grease and lube her with the right stuff. I've taught tons of people how to care for them but I'd caution anyone about taking your FW to just anyone. I taught a sewing machine repair guy about the FWs and he told me his training didn't teach him squat about taking care of the motors and that's very important. You have to use the right stuff or it doesn't lubricate the motors at all. I've fixed a lot of machines for people where a sewing machine repair guy messed them up or said they were worthless and wanted to sell the person a new machine. Just be smart. Your machine's value keeps climbing. Just saw a bunch of them for sale over $1000 each and they sold out in a day.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Whew!!! Well it's been a long wait but I finally have her (Maggie after my grandmother) going!
    New cord, replaced shuttle housing (little finger was broke), and finally had to order expensive OEM bobbin case after two failed reproductions
    So I definitely have more invested in her than I had hoped for, but I sure do love her! I guess that's the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Well, tranum, the irony is that now the white ones sell for several hundred dollars more than the black ones!
    I researched & found white is more valuable but I had my heart set on black ! (keeping it )

I have 2...I paid about $300 for the first one and $500 for the second. The first I bought at shop goodwill.com. But the second I bought at an estate sale. The owner had passed away quite young and her mother was selling her sewing machines. It was immaculate and had lots of attachments and the bobbin case. I just didn't have the heart to dicker with her. Her daughter had loved this machine and she had loved her daughter. I assured her that I would love it, too. The prices are all over the place for Featherweights. I saw one (just a regular one) listed as Rare for $900. When I looked up its serial number and birthdate it wasn't rare at all. I think you made a great buy. Have fun.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-14-2019 at 02:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

So glad you got her up and running. I adore my FW's!!!

I think I paid $200 for mine. It was in an estate sale. The machine had been "built into the wall". There was a room with knotty pine walls and they had built a tiny drop-down door into the wall with the machine bolted to the door. I hope I have described that correctly. Anyway, there was no case and we asked the people handling the sale if they had the case. I asked if they found it, perhaps in the attic, to call me. I never got a call so I am assuming it was discarded ... probably many years ago. Enjoy yours!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2