Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did I spend too much? New featherweight

Did I spend too much? New featherweight

Hubby and I were at an auction today and they brought out this Featherweight. We did not have a chance to look it over beforehand, and the bidding was going fast. Since I had always wanted one, we foolishly bid on it almost sight unseen.
    So when I get a chance to look it over, it's going to need a new cord, a new bobbin case (this one is missing) and some new bobbins. The machine itself looks to be in fair condition, though I cannot even plug it up due to cord is deteriorated. The case is in pretty bad condition and there are no attachments, manuals or anything included.
    In the excitement of the bid, I am in $200 plus tax.
    I am kinda heartsick. Did I do terrible?
    Attached Images Attached Images

When you get a bobbin case & cord and clean her up you're going to have a lot of fun sewing. I love mine!
    It would be nice to have a great case but for me it's not that important.
    You may want to check out The Featherweight Shop and see what they have for the things missing.
    We've all been a bit overexcited at times, try not to worry about it!

I don't think you did so bad, as long as it runs, because they usually sell for around $350 in good running condition with all parts. The cases usually smell bad, it's from the glue used in making them. Sadly, the bobbin case may have been in the machine at the auction until someone stole it out of the machine. It happens.

I don't own a Featherweight but I do own her big sister therefore not sure how accurate what I am about to say is. If they both use the same bobbins then you can find them at your local Joann's, also you can find a lot of items to get her running really well online. I think the website is sewing parts online (?) If not the right site surely someone will tell you the correct name. She will be a beauty when you get her all cleaned up.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

This discussion mentions several great online featherweight shops where you can find everything you need to get your new toy up and running.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...d-t304025.html

http://www.quiltpeddlerllc.com/
    The Quilt Peddler in Fennimore WI repaired mine and replaced the pedal. Very reliable repair service. Good luck!
    Always keep music in your heart 🎶❤️

No you didn’t. Stop worrying about it and start enjoying it!

That’s not a bad price. When I bought mine I ordered a new electrically cord. A nice website is Singer featherweight. They have videos, replacement parts. Workshops around the country how to maintain the featherweight. Enjoy the featherweight. I love mine. I named mine “Edmund” because that was the name of the street we lived on. My mother had a featherweight when I was young. But I remember the oil smell. Brings back memories.

Don't worry about it. If you wanted it and can afford it, you went for it and now it is yours. I paid more than that for my white featherweight and never looked back. Enjoy it!

I paid $275 for mine but it had everything you are missing. (I know of others that have paid more than me) So, If it runs when you get the pieces you are in good shape
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-14-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I have seen them go for much more- I don’t think you did bad with that price. When you get the cord replaced have the service person service it completely, you’ll have a very good and reliable machine for a long time. My case isn’t in great condition either- it happens. Sharron

Power Poster
    Unfortunate that they didn’t let you check it out before hand. Since featherweights can sell for $300 or $400 and higher, it’s not too bad a price. Hopefully you can get it sewing for not too much more.

Thank you all for the encouragement! I sure do love her....still looking for a name
    I have ordered the needed supplies and in the meantime I am going to set about giving her a good cleaning. I have found the Singer-Featherweight site that has a lot of good info how to safely do this.
    I surely didn't need another baby in my collection, but so glad she found me!

I paid $350 for mine....included everything.....so if you are at $200 that is a good thing. You will be surprised at how well she will clean up. The decals look to be in pretty good shape....normally these are worn off. Have fun!

I don't think you did badly on it. My husband paid a lot more than that for my Centennial and my case was a bit damaged. I got my white FW for a song at an estate sale, but I also took a chance because it wasn't running. I did, however, have a chance to play with it for a bit and knew that the motor ran and that it had the bobbin and bobbin case. A good cleaning and oiling works wonders. I got mine running just by doing that.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

If it makes you feel any better, I paid $125.00 for one at an online auction that was in terrible shape. It didn't look that bad in the photos, but it did when I picked it up.

The odd thing was that I was outbid, but I woke up the next morning with an invoice and notice that I was the winner. It happens, apparently.

bkay

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    I paid $350 for mine....included everything.....so if you are at $200 that is a good thing. You will be surprised at how well she will clean up. The decals look to be in pretty good shape....normally these are worn off. Have fun!
    Somewhere here on QB, Steve H posted something about touching up those dings on the edge of a black machine. He told us what product he used. If you can't find it, contact him at victoriansweatshop.com.

Mine was too far gone for touch ups. It will take a re-paint.

bkay

The price is well within acceptable. Used sewing machines always vary a lot in prices, the last decades the Featherweight has kept it's value and I guess it will in the future. Your machine looks like a bit dirty, but will clean and shine up very well. The original decals and japanning looks nice. If the case isn't particularly smelly it's a major pluss, even if it needs a bit of attention. During the clean up process you will get to know your new machine much better.

Nope, you did good. The only thing I would do different when I purchased my featherweight is I wouldn't bother trying to repair the case. DH got involved and oh the trouble it caused. At that time there were nice little red nylon cases that zipped. I should have purchased that one and been happy. The older cases have a tendency to stink from the mildew or glue that the used. Lots of airing out and it still smells funny.

You will always hear stories of the great buys or even free ones that have been found. But you found one that you wanted and got. You did allright.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

pal
    You are going to love it! Lucky you.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Good choice. I paid $450 for one and $25 for another. I figure it all evens out in the end. And I love them both.
    ​Jumpin' Judy

I have read, no experience tho, that putting crumpled newspaper in a smelly case will remove the odor. I might even lightly spray the interior of the case with Febreeze. Let us know what worked.

I paid $350. for mine and went and looked at the featherweight shop and got the shoe polish and black marker and fixed it up and it looks beautiful and my case just shines. They have some wonderful website and youtube videos to look at. Your machine is a beauty

I don't think you overpaid. I paid $495 for my first featherweight. The Featherweightshop.com has a video on how to make that case look better and you can sometimes find reasonably priced attachments to fit your new featherweight at ShopGoodwill.com. Enjoy your new machine. They're cute and fun to sew on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast