Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do any of you know what these are?? >

Do any of you know what these are??

Do any of you know what these are??

Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 AM

Default Do any of you know what these are??

I found them in a box of thread that I bought at an estate sale. I think they may be some sort of cam for a sewing machine. Do any of you know what they are and what they belong to? Thanks for your help. I hate to throw the away if someone can use them.
Attached Thumbnails 100_7770.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 04:40 AM

oooh I hope someone can help.....I would be very curious also. I agree they do look like some sort of cam. If you don't mind I am going to show this to a group I belong to facebook and see if someone knows.

Last edited by craftiladi; 05-01-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: wanted to say more
Old 05-01-2014, 04:46 AM

They are definitely cams for stitches, but I don't know what machine they are for. My Elna from the late 60's has cams, but they are different. The machine these go on was probably made sometime during the 60's or 70's. I will keep my eyes open for an answer to your question. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:51 AM

They are cams for a sewing machine. I have my mother's New Home machine which uses these. You drop them in the top and there is an arm that follows it as it turns to make the stitch turn out like the pattern. Sorry, not a good explanation but maybe it helps ;-) If it helps, these look EXACTLY like the New Home ones - I haven't seen them for other machines so I don't know if they all look alike.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by kydeb View Post
They are cams for a sewing machine. I have my mother's New Home machine which uses these. You drop them in the top and there is an arm that follows it as it turns to make the stitch turn out like the pattern. Sorry, not a good explanation but maybe it helps ;-) If it helps, these look EXACTLY like the New Home ones - I haven't seen them for other machines so I don't know if they all look alike.
What type of New Home do you have? Can you add a photo of the machine & the cam place? I'm just curious.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 AM

well i found you 3 possibilities all New Home machines but the message board won't allow me to load the links, also wouldn't allow me to send you a private message.
new home janome 445
try ebay
Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 AM

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-HOME-JANO...-/321249824356

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1828965...w_type=gallery

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-home-sew...item461dd26b6e

Last edited by craftiladi; 05-01-2014 at 06:32 AM. Reason: want to add more
Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Can you shoot a picture of the bottom side? There are all kinds of cams. The Singer cams interchange with several models - same with Kenmore. Elna disks work with Elnas. The Japanese machines are all over the map with what fits what. They seem to be pretty machine specific. I have a White machine that doesn't fit White disks I just bought. The shaft on some are straight and some are flanged at the bottom. Most disks go on a shaft. I'm thinking I had some sort of like yours that went on an old Kenmore 158.something something... These disks while similar have kind of little slots in the bottom rather than a shaft. These are for a Good Housekeeper:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473869[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cams-004.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 05-01-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM

They also look like they could go with Dressmaker machines too. I've been looking at some that are similar to both sets. I have a dressmaker that needs cams. LOL
Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM

I've seen cams that look very much like that and fit a Singer 306. BTW, there is more than one version of the 306, if I recall correctly.