Dressmaker 2402

Old 04-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Default Dressmaker 2402

I'm excited... I am teaching a young mom how to sew...she brought her dad's old sewing machine over... A Dressmaker 2402... She has the manual and 30 cams. It looks beautiful. I was able to rotate the hand wheel through several turns, but when I threaded it, the needle started hitting the bobbin case!! Any ideas on why it's doing that?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Check the trouble shooting page in the manual. May be a bent needle.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Nice looking machine and getting the cams with it is a big plus.
Did the bobbin case get seated properly?
Rodney
Old 04-06-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Nice looking machine and getting the cams with it is a big plus.
Did the bobbin case get seated properly?
Rodney
Actually, I was testing it without the bobbin case in! So, it's not that the bobbin case wasn't seated correctly. So the hand wheel rotated freely until I threaded the needle...dunno..then it started hitting the housing for the bobbin.

I was excited when my friend brought this machine over, cosmetically great shape, full set of cams, manual, and a box of bobbins, zipper foot, and I don't know what else. Once it gets up and running, I think it'll be a great machine for her.
i did check and double check... The needle gets threaded left to right, and the bobbin gets inserted into the bobbin case with thread leading from left to right ( so I guess that means that when you pull the bobbin thread, it rotates clockwise)

as I watch it with the cover off...sometimes the bobbin housing seems to shift by a tiny amount, it enough so the needle hits the bobbin housing. Also notice that the upper thread doesn't come done and wrap around the bobbin thread... Any thoughts?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:27 PM

Ps... And I did change the needle.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 PM

*thinks* One of my machines was doing this too. I can't remember exactly what i did. I do remember having to adjust the needle bar just a smidge. I think it was zigging and zagging but the zag was a hair off on the timing. It was hit and miss when it did zag.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I have two of those machines = P.O.J. and I don't say that very often about the older metal Japanese machines. I think Joe has or had one and came to the same conclusion they aren't our favorite machine. I have cams but I found another machine they fit and am happier with that arrangement. If I need parts the worst one gets to be a donor. If you are going to teach someone to sew get an old Singer 15 or a 66. Anyway here is a repair manual I found lately: http://autonopedia.org/crafts-and-te...machine-repair - it prints out 50 or 60 pages.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 AM

Miriam is right. Those are tinny, stamped metal, poorly designed, low quality machines. They are not what you usually see when you think of all metal Japanese machines.

I had one, but thankfully it sold late last year.

Ok, having said that. Make sure the bobbin case is snapped in fully. Make sure you are using a Class 15 bobbin.
Make sure you are using 15x1 needle and that it's seated correctly. I believe it seats flat to the right.
Make sure the needle is straight too.

If these steps do not cure the problem, there is a good possibility something's bent or out of time.

Joe
Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

YOU sold it - I hope it wasn't to anybody on QB...... Mine are still here - I just can't inflict them on anybody. Parts.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
YOU sold it - I hope it wasn't to anybody on QB...... Mine are still here - I just can't inflict them on anybody. Parts.
We put it on CL. A cute Oriental gal came over and Elaine gave her a complete mini tutorial on using the machine. She was thrilled about it. We told her that if she had any questions down the road to give us a call. We've not heard back from her. So, no news is good news .

Joe