Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ever regret buying too many vintage machines?? >

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Old 05-11-2016, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DIrvin View Post
...I regret my featherweight. My 127 and 128 machines make a better stitch. I just don't understand the mega interest in featherweights. The harp is so small.
I see the attaction though. They are tiny, portable, and impossibly cute. Anything similar just isn't made any more. Owners brag something terrible of the stitch quality, perhaps there is room for improvement on yours? On the pluss side, they are easy to sell, and if yours is in better condition than you bought it, it might go for a higher price ;- )

I've seen it with furniture too, small three drawer dressers of the right type, can for some reason fetch 5 times the price than exactly the same dresser with 4 or 5 drawers. Miniature or just small can turn out to be quite a charmer some times.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:33 AM

I love the old machines but they do take up a lot of space especially if they are in the wood cabinets so every once in a while the herd needs to be thinned , I guess the unless you have infinite space every once in a while things have to go
Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Good question. I have 30+ machines. I only regret buying a few. However, I have pretty much stopped buying them, though I love all of them. If I had an extra family room I would set them up in a museum style. They are wonderful pieces of history.
I so agree! I love antiques and have a lot of them. My husband and I even have vintage cars. Some are family heirlooms passed down to me and some are items I have purchased. They are wonderful pieces of history and I don't consider them clutter.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:38 AM

I too have not regretted buying any of my vintage machines, although I've had to sell a couple to make room for more lol.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:03 AM

No regrets. Never!
(Nothing so futile as regret: )

I was given a 401g by a family member a couple of months ago.
I got no real previous experience with 'sewing machines', but I can do basic stuff.
After checking out these Slants I'm wiser now.

(BTW I'm resident in Gloucester, UK, so bear this in mind please, all you who get a late sundown: )

My gifted 401g was missing its case because of water damage.
So I look online for a replacement & found a nice one that came along with a 401g described as 'needing attention'.
Won it, fixed it, & then needed another case: )
So it goes...

I'm now the happy owner of 2 x 401g, a 404g, & just yesterday a 411m, (Milano the M stands for, not Monza) with all the parts for chain-stitching!

No reason to regret any of it, since all of them were small beer.

I'm amazed by the build quality & sophistication of the 1950/60s slant machines.
Cam stacks & all, 50+ yeas ago???

I'm a collector of similar period bicycles, & there is a certain, (quite obvious actually...) connection between the two, I believe.

Am I a 'Suitable Case for Treatment'?

John.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:35 PM

John, I believe you are a suitable case for treatment, but we haven't found a cure as yet! And are not sure we want one!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:12 AM

Regret ... yes ... when you move and have to find a home for them all. I can't take them all with me.

And before you say to post them here on the VSS board, I cannot. I have to be active on this Quilting Board, and I have not. I found I was on this board more and more so I had to quit. I only read what is going on, but did not add my 2cents worth. Wow, I should start again.

"Hind sight is always 20/20" I believe this.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM

I've already told my husband that when we move, the next place has to have room for my machines. Or we'll need to rent another space for them. But then when we retire, I want to get even more involved with the quilting and vintage machine scene.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:00 PM

I just have to say that I get a happy feeling when I see so many "old" names and all the new names on this board. You all are great and have helped 'me' and (as I read) many other sewing machine enthusiast with their questions. Thank you.