Featherweight Case Facelift

Old 02-01-2019, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I keep some Odor Eaters shoe inserts in the box and it has helped with the smell quite a bit.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Have you contacted "the Featherweight shop" to see what they recommend? I get their emails from when I was working on my case. They are extremely helpful with videos too.
Actually, I had information from the gentleman that owned the entire featherweight entity, until it was purchased and the people in the USA were trained. The site you know was April's 1930's did not have the machines nor knowledge until then.

The smell is indeed from the glue.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
Actually, I had information from the gentleman that owned the entire featherweight entity, until it was purchased and the people in the USA were trained. The site you know was April's 1930's did not have the machines nor knowledge until then.

The smell is indeed from the glue.
I understand the glue part.

Can you explain the other part? What I got was that some gentleman owned the featherweight (factory, franchise, sales force, all?) until it was purchased (by singer or are we talking about the Featherweight shop) until the USA people were trained (in the 1930's?)

I'm totally lost.

bkay
Old 02-01-2019, 06:28 PM

The people at the current featherweight shop, in the USA, formerly known as April's 1930's, had little knowledge / expertise about featherweights, until they were trained by and purchased the inventory from the singer- featherweight.com. when the owner retired.
Info I have is from the original source. So, while everyone thinks the featherweight shop walks on water, their knowledge is relatively new. Better?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Shortly after I bought my FW, I took a class on how to do simple maintenance on it. The instructor pulled out the pad in the bottom of my case and replaced it. I don't recall that it had a bad smell, but it was soaked with oil (grease?)

I store it with a full unwrapped bar of Dial soap in it, mostly to absorb any moisture, but it also makes it small like soap, not anything yucky. Maybe that would help you.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:30 PM

Thanks. I have lots of other bases & cases. Once I cleaned them will add a slice of soap, as long as I can keep it away from the machine surface.

My 301 smelled terrible, but it got it from the case. I changed the pad and 3 oil wicks that picked up the smell.