Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 PM

I have a Centenial that I got last year from ebay. I got it for under $200 so I was very happy. DH was really suprised at how small they are. He thought I got took and someone sent me a childs sewing machine. He calls it the Micro Machine. She sews a perfect stitch and I love sewing on it.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:00 PM

I have two - Libby born in 1956 and Ruby Jewel born in 1947. Love to sew on them both. Am now on the lookout for a 1952 version, my birth year.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:02 PM

I have one that I got over 30 years ago for $40.00. I used it for years then it sat in the closet. I recently got it out and forgot the love I have for that machine. I took a class on how to clean and lube/oil your machine. Here is a great web site for informaion, parts and accessories. I took the class from Dave. www.featherweightrx.com
Old 05-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I have two - Libby born in 1956 and Ruby Jewel born in 1947. Love to sew on them both. Am now on the lookout for a 1952 version, my birth year.
Is Ruby Jewel your avatar, she is absolutely beautiful. I thought I wanted a white one as a sister to my black one but now I want yours :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
Is Ruby Jewel your avatar, she is absolutely beautiful. I thought I wanted a white one as a sister to my black one but now I want yours :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, that is Ruby Jewel. She was completely refurbished and painted per my color choice. Even her foot pedal is red!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200201.jpe  
Old 05-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Google Goddess

that is so cool, I would love to find a Featherweight (I was born in 1956)
Old 05-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Google Goddess

Please post pictures of your Featherweight and do you name them?
Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 PM

I've told my story before, but here it is again. Our VW van was broken down in Angleton, Tex and while we waited for a new transmission to be Gray-hounded to us, we went shopping in all the antique shops around. Found my FW in one, I think they wanted $150. I had seen some in VA for $400, so I knew the price wasn't too bad. Found a quilt shop and the book "the perfect portable" by nancy johnson srebro (it's still a great book, btw and I think she's published a newer edition) and we studied it, plus talked to the quilt shop owner and a friend of hers who was very knowledgable and helpful.

Went back very next day when the store opened, and tried to get that sucker to make a stitch, but no dice. Another shopper took a good look, told us he knew sewing machines and nothing serious was wrong with it. We made an offer of $120 and it was mine! Did have a mechanic check it over at home and he put the tension back together where DH had gotten a bit overenthusiastic :shock:

I've had her about 10 yrs now and I just adore her. When ever I can find new toys for her at thrift shops or whatever I get them because we like to play together!

my favorite toy, the penguin walking foot, very rare, it waddles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200252[/ATTACH]

back side and box for walking foot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200253[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200246.jpe   attachment-200247.jpe  
Old 05-21-2011, 03:30 PM

I think I've told this story before, but here goes.
Got my FW for Christmas in 1968. Found a receipt that Mom paid $50 for it and had to pay $10 per week for it. Sewed all my clothes at college and my wedding dress. I've also upholstered 2 antique cars, sewed tents and now quilts. Love it for taking to classes. I'm taking it in the camper this summer. When my Brother acts up or won't sew through some of the purse seams, I dig out the FW.
Would never get rid of it.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:31 PM

What does the penguin foot do? I know, it waddles but what else? Inquiring minds want to know :-)