Featherweight questions

Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 PM

Default Featherweight questions

I just became the proud Mom to a featherweight(her Name is Lulu after a friend's childhood nickname and the one I got the featherweight from) . I think I have found the serial number but these old eyes can't read it. Any suggestion besides have a younger person read it for me? And another thing - can the oil in the tin become too old and if it can how can you tell? Also can someone post pics of the attachments and label what they are used for. I have four attachments and am not sure how and when to use them. Thank you so much. I love this board. I spend too much time read things, just ask my DH he'll tell you, I sure do. LOL
Old 09-15-2012, 01:44 AM

You can get a free manual for these online. It shows the attachments and what they're used for. Mine came with a ruffler, a gatherer I think, and a blind hemmer. I'm sure there were others originally, but that's all that was in the case when we got it.

If you have a digital camera, take a closeup of the serial number and use a photo editor to enlarge it enough for you to make out the numbers.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 AM

Thank you. I do have a digital camera and will do that today. And Duh, I have the manual but did not look all the way through it. Will do that too.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:42 AM

I've read that when sewing oil gets old and goes bad it changes from clear to murky and dark. If your can of oil is one of the old round sided Singer cans don't throw it away. Even if the oil is bad the can itself is desirable by people who don't have them. They sell for a pretty penny at antique shops and eBay. I still need about three of them.

Joe
Old 09-16-2012, 11:46 AM

Buy new oil from a sewing machine shop. Don't take a chance on it being old. Make sure you know how and where to oil it (in your manual) and even more importantly, how to thread it!!!