Featherweights locking up

Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 AM

Default Featherweights locking up

What was it with the FWs yesterday--one in Texas and one in Tennessee in my small world of friendships. I talked with my sister and my friend and they both made comments about "I don't know how it happened, but my FW locked up on me, won't budge, dead in the water, what did I do"--and that was my question to them, "What did you do to it?" went through all the scenarios of taking the bobbin out, looking for a thread locked into the bobbin race (they are both pretty careless sewers); and still can't figure it out.

I know I need to post a picture here, but since they are there and I am here, I can't do that. So if any of you have any suggestions that I might call and offer them, I would appreciate it. I will be going to see my sister (the TN one) tomorrow and will be checking hers out and might be able to come up with a picture of hers later on. The TX one, I won't be seeing about hers for a month or so since DH and I are planning a road trip down there in October; and she is willing to wait for me to fix it for her. There are no sewing machine repair people anywhere in Texas, according to her. We have had a post on this subject recently, if I remember correctly.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM

From what I've heard and read many times on this board, the most likely thing to make a FW lock up is some thread tangled up in the bobbin case. I know my FW doesn't like a single thread wrapped around in the bobbin case. I am no expert, but I can tell you who is -- Miriam, Joe Miller, SteveH and Macybaby -- these folks are very knowledgeable about the machines.

Jeanette
Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 AM

a careless sewer and a FW don't go well together. provided machine is oiled and free, and the motor runs strong with the belt off, 99% of it comes down to correction needle facing, bobbin case ltched into the noth uner the needle plate, O THReAD JAM behind or around bobbin case as you said, bobbin in and latched. You can remove needle plate to help make sure, but then be sure bobbin case finger goes in the notch...
Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Yes, oldsewnsew, I mentioned all of that to the TX lady yesterday. But she just answered with a question "what's that" so I just gave up on her. I immediately went through all the things you mentioned, but she didn't understand. So, I just told her to wait until I get there to check it out for her. I might call my GS and ask him to go over to her house and check it for her. Thanks for answering.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 AM

sorry for the typos, stupid phone wont let me see what I'm typing after the 2nd line, & never can get the cursor back where I want. I'd much rather be working on a FW!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM

You must always hold onto the top and bobbin thread tails when starting to sew on a FW or 301. This is the most common way thread gets stuck in the bobbin-people don't do that. It's a good habit to get into for sewing on any machine, but the FW and 301 in particular.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM

I got my wife's FW for a lower price than what you normally see because it was locked up. One piece of thread behind the bobbin case base was all it took.

In my opinion people that are incapable of understanding normal maintenance as specified in the manual don't need to use that machine. I believe ( if I'm wrong I'll retract this ) that the FW owners manual covers the clearing of thread jams. I could look that manual is down stairs. So JoAnn, tell your friend to take it to a service tech cos it's way beyond her comprehension level.

Sorry bout the attitude, but that's the way I feel.

Joe
Old 08-18-2014, 01:03 PM

Sounds like FW is a great candidate for using leaders and enders LOL!! I think I'm going to start that practice too, though my Viking does fine without holding the thread.

I was helping a friend with her "new" 15 - and it kept tangling on her. She was used to her 401A, and she didn't need to hold the threads with that one, so she never considered that was her problem.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 PM

one reason i dont usually hold em on a FW is cuz of the thread path sticking em under the matl.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

what Joe said...