Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Felt Pads in Sewing Machine Cabinets >

Felt Pads in Sewing Machine Cabinets

Felt Pads in Sewing Machine Cabinets

Old 09-16-2015, 07:17 PM

Default Felt Pads in Sewing Machine Cabinets

Hello All! This is my first post on this board so please forgive if this question has already been answered. (I did try to search first ...) I've been lurking and learning so much from everyone - thank you!! Have just been a little shy to post.

In in the last couple of months I've caught the vintage sewing machine bug and have collected a pretty good group in a short time. I'm not sure which forum to use to post an intro and photos of my newly adopted machines and cabinets?

I'm now starting to clean/polish/restore things and have a question about cabinets. You know those little felt dots in the cabinets that are strategically placed where the machine rests on the front hinged wooden piece? (Aren't I technical??!!) Actually, some of those "dots" are more of a plug shape, filling in a little channel. Am I making any sense?' ;-)

Some of these felt dots are missing or in very bad shape. I'd like to replace them. I tried searching on eBay but didn't find anything. I can use small felt sticky dots from Home Depot but thought that if there was a genuine product out there, that might be better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

- Tori

Last edited by WideAngleMind; 09-16-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

you might find some at a hardware store
Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 AM

*** HI! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:36 AM

I know what you mean but I'm not sure where to find replacements. The felt dots are tall and fit tightly in holes hat are drilled for them. They're a lot thicker than your typical felt pad.

I looked at McMaster-Carr. They sell felt in various shapes and grades. I don't see pre-made dots but they may have something suitable to make some out of.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/=yza6sw
Rodney
Old 09-17-2015, 11:40 AM

The felt plugs are typically what the machine rests on. I fill the holes with plastic wood & put a felt dot on top. The felt dots generally are on the leaf....I just replace those with new felt dots. You can find them at any hardware store.

The felt dots come in many different densities/thicknesses....from paper thin to a little over 1/16". I buy the heavier/denser ones for the machine to rest on. And on the leaf, I use whatever thickness is necessary to make it sit evenly when the cabinet is closed.

Last edited by path49; 09-17-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:47 PM

Thank you Rodney and Path49 for your help and suggestions. I think filling the channel (not sure what plastic wood is but I might try to fit a piece of dowel in there) then just using a felt dot is a good idea.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:14 PM

Plastic Wood is just a wood filler that dries hard.....it's available at any hardware store. Actually Plastic Wood is a brand name....there are many other brands of wood fillers of the same type. Just make sure it dries hard...there are wax-type fillers that stay soft.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:43 PM

I know what you mean, they are less dots and more felt plugs. I just did a search using "felt plug" and came up with a few hits. Try it. and welcome!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:44 PM

Here's one of them http://pitchlock.com/touchtools/felt-key-plugs/
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 PM

Christy, thanks so much!!