Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A few years too new  Bernina Activa 145 question. >

A few years too new Bernina Activa 145 question.

A few years too new Bernina Activa 145 question.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:05 AM

Default A few years too new Bernina Activa 145 question.

So I went to go pic up an Elna Supermatic sewing machine. Seller made an offer for 7.. Including some interesting pieces.
This Bernina is intriguing to be since it is so modern and way out of my usual area. I got the owners manual out but it does not answer a question. When I plug it in and turn it one, the dispaly comes on and I can make changes there. That looked promising. However, I can't get it to make any noise or movemnet. No needle jiggle and certainly no spinning when I step on the control. It has been welll used and not regularly cleaned. Any chance there is a fuse in it between the LED and the motor. The light also is not coming on/ Yea, could be teh controller, but I don't have any that match it. Any ideas anyone?
It will turn by hand
Yes I got the Elna and a parts machine. Those pics will come later I haven't tried anything on them.
Attached Thumbnails bernina-activa-145-c.jpg  
Old 08-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Check the connections for the foot pedal. The on and off switch is located on the right side colours behind the plug. If you switch it on, the display screen should light up. If it doesn’t, I think maybe there is something wrong with the computer. One of our QB members has experience with Berninas perhaps she will be of more help.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:00 AM

Maybe the bulb is burned out? It takes a 12V light. A manual is available from https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Machin...INA-activa-145 and it looks like a couple are available from https://www.manualslib.com/products/...5-3564095.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:54 AM

switch is on, I have the manual. I don't care about the light yet. A new controller is $70. Thanks all.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:33 PM

Sometimes, you can tell if it's the foot control by having it plugged in, squeezing it so it's full throttle, then wiggling the cord. The cord is likely to have a break in the end where it connects to the machine or where it connects to the foot controller. You can usually find that break by wiggling the cord at both those locations while the foot control is squeezed. The machine may sputter to life off and on. The cord and little circuit board can be replaced. It is part #0094944.71.01 and is about $40. If you could get another foot control to try it out before you buy one, that might be a good idea.

It's not likely to be the power circuit board (L-Print), because the machine turns on. It could possibly be the Mother Board (s-Print), which retails for about $426. If that's what it needs, it's probably not worth fixing.

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 08-15-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:55 AM

Thanks Annette. I knew about wiggling the cord, but had for gotten it. That will be my next trial.

yea, I won't be buying a mother board for it.