found a beauty

Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Default found a beauty

It say's it's a Modernage M/30/0142 that is the number. From the pictures can you find me a close to that so I can tear it apart and try to redo it. It is rusted on the gears looks like it set in water for awhile. just gave 10.00 for it so if I can find a model close so it will show me how to put it back together. I'll try for a tractor red lol. Maybe you could find a age for me too. ty for your help
Attached Thumbnails sewing-machine-10.jpg   000_0185-3-0.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Banned

Do a search on the Singer 15 and you should be able to find a parts manual on Singer's Site if not I have one I can email to you if you need it. With it being a Japanese 15 it is hard to say what year it was made or who actually badged it for the company but the research is ongoing and one day we will be able to figure it all out. But until then if yo need anything just PM me and I will see what I can do.

Billy
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 AM

I always take tons and tons of pics whenever I take anything apart...keep your camera handy and snap a pic every step of the way..that way you will always have something to refer back to. It also helps to keep a roll of scotch tape handy so you can tape each set of screws to each part as you dismantle it..you'd be surprised how many screws there are!! There is a product that I use called PB Blaster..it's to loosen up rusted scews and bearings...you can get it at walmart or an auto store..it works well on rusted scews and rusted up bearings..I would keep it away from any decals..hard to tell from the pics if you have any or not..but it works well on metal parts! Post pics and let us know!
One more thing...if you are serious about the red...you can take the parts to an auto body shop and for very little money they can paint it and clear coat it...it will last a lot longer than a can of spray paint would!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 PM

Thank you very much for the advice thats a good ideal. I sprayed it with liquid wrench I got it to move so I know it has life still. Cool my brother paints cars I'll get him to do it.ty
Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 PM

You might find lots of help on the Vintage Japanese Yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintag...guid=228862397
They have lots of helpful information in their file section.

Billy!! Is that you!!????? Just yesterday I was looking to see when it was the last time you posted. Good to see you back!!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM

I'm so happy for you to have a machine to experiment on trying to fix. I want to do one too, some day, but at the moment my hubby says 'NO MORE MACHINES!!!!' But on the other hand, he will look at machines at flea markets to see if they have attachments I might want. If it is cheap enough, I can pay for it and just take the attachments that I want, and leave the machine! I did that with my Singer Pinking attachment and the Hemmer and picot attachment. I got them with some bobbins and other attachments and paid $25.00 and left the machine. I did put a bobbin in the machine when I left it. Now it is listed for $20.00.
My hemmer and picot attachment has the cover needed for my 99, and now I want a cover for the feed dogs for my featherweight. Does anyone know where I can get one? I can't afford to pay a lot for it. I also want a zig zag attachment for my FW.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 AM

Spray it down with WD40. that will cut the rust and lubricate it up. What a find!!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Janis, I pick up strays anytime you let one go.... we need to do lunch...

WD40 leaves a nasty residue - 3-in-1 oil sets up like concrete
Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 AM

What a beauty. Good luck with it.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

do post it on: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post4837425 - all kinds of info and great pics of the old Japanese 15s