Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Found old newspaper clippings of quilt patterns in my treadle drawer

Found old newspaper clippings of quilt patterns in my treadle drawer

There aren't many people I know who would get excited about quilting except for my friends here, so I wanted to share. This afternoon for some reason I decided to go through my drawers on my 1920-something National Two Spool treadle (that I probably own now for about 4 years!), and I came across something I didn't know was there. Original newspaper clippings/advertisements from the 1930's of quilting patterns by Laura Wheeler. I was SO excited to find out that the last person who owned this machine was also a quilter! I absolutely loved this machine, but now I love it even more.

These are the patterns: Old-fashioned Nosegay, Setting Sun, Lover's Knot, Radiant Star, Wheel of Fortune, and Whirling Star. They aren't the patterns, just the advertisements for them, and I bet they could probably be easily reproduced on EQuilt. I am having problems downloading the three scans, but I will try to re-send again if anyone's interested in seeing them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is no monotony in real joy.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Blog Entries
    Oh now that is neat!!!!
    Deb in Texas

Here's the machine, which also came with the original warranty. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...03630418uvVPCF
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

If you read the last paragraph of this article by a quilt historian, it is just SO interesting how quilts were 'regional'.
    http://www.allianceforamericanquilts...es/stories.php
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Thanks for sharing this! I love looking at the old ads. Yes, they can be drafted from the picture. Did you know that some papers still carry this sort of thing in their ads area? Our paper varies the offer from woodworking projects to quilting/sewing.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Banned
    Blog Entries
    wow..thanks for sharing..Laura Wheeler was actually a famous embroidery designer!

Oh wow what a find. I love buying old sewing baskets and old sewing machines find the neatest treasures. ,kay

Proof here that quilters have saved stuff just in case...

Interesting find

Blog Entries
    How cool!!!

Been getting requests for the other ads, so I downloaded them to my webshots since they refuse to download here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...03630418HJiGpy Hope the link works, and hope it's OK.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Power Poster
    That is really neat! Imagine finding someone else's "To Do" list. I wonder if she ever got them done?

Blog Entries
    thank you for sharing this information. This was a great blast to the past. Makes me wonder:
    Couldn't we have thought that quilters would save everything? If we think about the scrappy quilts made from anything fabric, wouldn't they have saved their tools, patterns, templates, etc? Now we have proof that we are just living up to the examples of our foremothers.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing! Always fun to discover the hidden treasures that previous owners left.
    The one pattern with the templates of triangle and trapezoid looks doable and fun.

Red face What a great find

Looks like some that I have that were original Kansas City Star patterns. The Kansas City Star would feature a new quilt pattern in the paper each week (I think it was that frequent). I inherited mine from my GGM and GM.

Enjoy them.

Blog Entries
    If you want to see more, Google "Laura Wheeler" quilt patterns. Much out there.
    jillaine

Very neat find! Makes me wonder if the former owner made any quilts from the pattern ideas.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Newspapers actually did offer patterns in the earlier days. I have a series of Mother Goose, Nursery Rhymes plus standard quilt blocks. I have seen one of a roly poly animal series that I would like to find someday although I don't know why because I already have too many WIP. Also, a series with bell shaped pieces like Little Red Riding Hood's cloak, Boy Blue's haystack, etc. Maybe someone will do a book someday showing these.
    http://lyndaswhoknew.blogspot.com/

I have two 3" binders full of old newspaper quilt ad clippings I have collected over the years. Also two binders full of stories torn out of quilt magazines (before I toss them) of past quilters to present quilters, nationally known to local quilters, all in page protectors. I love to sit and go over the photos and read about these quilters' work and their backgrounds. A midwest farm magazine has a monthly ad for quilt patterns/books that I clip each month before I give it to my farmer husband!
    Last edited by Karen Joseph; 01-18-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: adding one word

Blog Entries
    What a find. I would be so excited to find those and I would really try to reproduce them. I am a "30's" quilt lover and it is simply exciting to see what you found. I have several books where the author has reproduced the old newspaper patterns. I have a few very old patterns made from a Montgomery Ward bag and cardboard (Butterfly and Sunbonnet Sue) One of these days I will make them..especially the butterfly.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

National Sewing Machine

I have a National portable sewing machine. Beautiful sound to the quiet motor and it stitches perfectly. I don't have any drawers to discover extras on this one -- just entertained by running across anything about "National" brand sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    What a find, so nice to see them, I always thought they did such simple quilts, I see I was wrong.

That is a fantastic find! My goodness, it must have been a wonderful surprise for you.

Oh how wonderful! I too would have been really excited. What a great find.

What a find!

That's about as special as anything I've heard about lately.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast