Free-Westinghouse No. 3

Old 06-24-2020, 01:58 PM

Default Free-Westinghouse No. 3

I just got a Free-Westinghouse No. 3 and I've looking for information on this machine.
img_2711.jpg img_2713.jpg img_2725.jpg

I've spent way too much time searching the net for some information on this machine and haven't come up with anything beyond the basic history of the company. I couldn't even find a single photo of this machine online. The machine came with a shuttle and bobbin so that's good. Not sure what needle it uses though.

To get this gal running, I could use some information on the foot controller. This is a totally different beast than any other controller than I've ever worked on. Even search terms would be useful. Also any ideas on what type of needle it may use. I couldn't find the No. 3 model on the ISMACS Needle list. I am assuming that the motor is similar to other Free-Westinghouse motors of the same style, so I think I should be able to find some info on it. Any general information the machine would be a plus, just to satisfy my curiosity.

This machine is going to be a stretch for me, it is much more exotic than my Singers or Necchi.

Any help would be appreciated,
Tammy
Old 06-24-2020, 02:37 PM

If you turn it over you may find this wildness called rotoscillo. New Home is tied into the Free Westinghouse family, too.
Attached Thumbnails rotoscillo-bearings-b-good-free.jpg  
Old 06-24-2020, 02:40 PM

They are pack machines, they do better with friends.
Attached Thumbnails free-2-vsms-b.jpg  
Old 06-24-2020, 06:25 PM

Leon,

I've read about the rotoscillo, this machine does not have that mechanism.

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
They are pack machines, they do better with friends.
Well that explains a lot. I have a The Free like yours with the peacock decals that I picked up about two months ago. I haven't had a chance to do any work on it yet. I may have some questions when I finally to around to it.

20200501_140335.jpg
Old 06-25-2020, 03:59 AM

I can't help you, but wanted to say what a absolutely gorgeous machine!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2020, 05:18 AM

The base on yours and on this Queen appear identical as to the stitch length control and the needle/shuttle plates. Also yours and the Queen have the tension bolts on each side of the pillar.

From other threads here I think the Queen was manufactured by Davis (later White?), so maybe one copied the other? Or the same company designed both these machines?
Attached Thumbnails img_0255.jpg  
Old 06-25-2020, 05:30 AM

Free had a diverse sewing machine product line and this would be from the Illinois / New Royal side of it. I'd guess this is late enought to use 15x1 needles. The early New Royals used a much longer 20x1 needle.

Jon
Old 06-26-2020, 12:44 PM

Jon,

This machine appears to be the same as the New Royal model SB. Looks exactly the same except for the decals, and a shield above the bobbin winder. So far, all I've found is a picture of the New Royal SB.

If this machine uses 15x1 needles that would make things easier. I'll try them first.

I would love to get some information on the foot controller before I take it apart. It is always helpful to know what you are looking at and what you should look for. I'll start with the motor and make sure it works and maybe by then I'll have some understanding of this kind of controller.

This will be a bit of an adventure. I'm used to the well-documented Singers, so I feel like I'm flying blind here, but sewing machine aren't so different from each other so I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:26 PM

I was trying to find a controller like yours when I found https://media.sandhills.com/img.axd?...hCVb7BLrK1A%3d granted it is different decals, but the rest of it sure looks like your machine. I checked ISMACS needle list and it said New Home's Improved New Royal takes 15x1 needles.

When I first say your controller, I thought it was a broken one like one of these - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...dals-509311983 Looking closer, I can tell it isn't. I thought I saw one once that had rings but I think it was on the ball of a foot shaped controller. I haven't found anything like yours. Perhaps if there were some other pictures of the controller, maybe someone would recognize it. It seems like there is something missing. I think if it was mine, I would probably try to find one like in the worthpoint link. Actually, I have one, but I'm waiting for the right machine for it.

That sure is a nice looking machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-28-2020, 12:40 PM

That Improved New Royal does look exactly like my machine. Seems likely that this machine uses 15x1 needles.

The controller might work and all I need to do is replace the cord. I'm really curious to see what the rheostat looks like and I want to open it up, just trying to find out if there is anything I need careful about. I would hate to damage it.

Here is a better picture of the controller.
25539351891946lsez.jpg
I took your suggestion and have found one of these controllers on Worthpoint, but unfortunately it didn't any info that I could search on.

Last edited by ttatummm; 06-28-2020 at 12:44 PM.