Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Free-Westinghouse sewing machine >

Free-Westinghouse sewing machine

Free-Westinghouse sewing machine

Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by debijod
I am a Debi J too! Mine is Debi Jo - what's yours?
Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure what the "dogs" are. I think I know but could you explain. I don't see anything happen when I turn the knob. Thanks Debi I use dejo as a sign in name lol
Actually mine is Deborah Jean, but I prefer Debbie. I'll pm you with my full name :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The feed-dogs are the little jagged things in the throat-plate under the needle and presser foot. They move back and forth when you operate the machine to sew, and they "grab" the fabric and move it thru the machine. (If you'll take the thread out of the needle, and don't use fabric, pretend to sew and watch the little things under the presser foot. They'll go up and back, then drop and come forward, lift up and go back again.) That's how they feed the fabric back, but not bring it toward you again.
Hope that's clear as mud. Billy can tell you more, I'm sure. But I'll try.
:oops:
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
I am a Debi J too! Mine is Debi Jo - what's yours?
Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure what the "dogs" are. I think I know but could you explain. I don't see anything happen when I turn the knob. Thanks Debi I use dejo as a sign in name lol
Actually mine is Deborah Jean, but I prefer Debbie. I'll pm you with my full name :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The feed-dogs are the little jagged things in the throat-plate under the needle and presser foot. They move back and forth when you operate the machine to sew, and they "grab" the fabric and move it thru the machine. (If you'll take the thread out of the needle, and don't use fabric, pretend to sew and watch the little things under the presser foot. They'll go up and back, then drop and come forward, lift up and go back again.) That's how they feed the fabric back, but not bring it toward you again.
Hope that's clear as mud. Billy can tell you more, I'm sure. But I'll try.
:oops:
That is actually a really good explanation! I would more than likely make it complicated just because men work off of logic and fact..... :roll:

But you made it crystal clear!!!

Billy
Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM

I am actually Deborah Jo. I thought I knew what you were talking about but had never heard them called dogs. Thanks for the great explaination and I was very clear. We gals are pretty logical too :-D
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM

I am actually Deborah Jo. I thought I knew what you were talking about but had never heard them called dogs. Thanks for the great explaination and I was very clear. We gals are pretty logical too :-D
Thanks. I tried to visualize it as I was writing it. I'm glad you could understand what I was saying. :mrgreen:
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 AM

I see you have info about the Koyo Seiko (Free-Westinghouse sewing machines). A friend has one she would like some info on, as to what to sell it for, etc. It is a model 803-A. It also has a name Free Sewing Machine Company, Rockford, Ill. I found a picture of it on Quiltropolis. Would you know it's value, when it was made, and how to get a manual? Thank you.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 AM

I just bought a Free-Westinghouse sewing machine at a garage sale for $1.00! I cleaned it up and found that it actually works. I am looking for information on the machine. It is model 903 which is beautifully stated on a button size emblem on the front of the machine above the gold metal emblem.
The machine weighs 35 lbs (I acutally weighted it), is blue and white (light cream) and has Kayo stamped on the bottom. It states that it was manufactured by Kayo in Japan for Free-Westinghouse in Illinois.
The model number is also on the bottom along with another number 450038. It is a portable in a plastic case.
The foot pedal is metal.
When I plug the machine in to the electric it begins running without my touching anything. I am not able to find a switch to turn it on and off.
I would love to know more about the machine and to be able to use it. If anyone knows anything please chime in.
Love this site by the way. Many thanks for the response and info.
turn the plug over and plug it in again, my 66 has the same issues and I was shown to put the plug it back in