Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 01-09-2016, 12:52 AM
Banned

I know Singer didn't badge machines but.....
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/hsh/5393056204.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/hsh/5367893258.html
These sure look alike to me.

Cari
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 AM

When you get to "newer" machines, Singer outsourced just like the others. Once they all started being made in Japan, everything changed.

It's really true -what ISMACS says about Singer - they post a picture of machines up to the 513 - and then states "Then it all went horribly wrong . . ."
Old 01-10-2016, 07:18 AM

Love that Florence!! She is really pretty!

This is interesting! Anyone see Singer factory chairs before?
https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/atq/5392777184.html
Old 01-10-2016, 07:28 AM

I was sifting through the many ebay listings and some of the local listings here - sadly noticed that many sellers are becoming "chop shops" when it comes to a variety of machines and also the treadle irons - they are salvaging the iron logos, name plates and various other "parts" to make into "industrial art" to sell to the steampunk collectors and for modern 'wall art'. Unfortumately I guess they get more $ by selling the parts than for the original.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:46 AM

There is a tractor for sale on Shopgoodwill right now. I would like to think that if they're starting to show up there that the trend for tractors might be ending anyway.
The unfortunate reality is that there's far less demand for antique sewing machines than there are machines. Sewers are a fairly small segment of the population, the antique crowd is even smaller.
Rodney
Old 01-10-2016, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
There is a tractor for sale on Shopgoodwill right now. I would like to think that if they're starting to show up there that the trend for tractors might be ending anyway.
The unfortunate reality is that there's far less demand for antique sewing machines than there are machines. Sewers are a fairly small segment of the population, the antique crowd is even smaller.
Rodney
Rodney - You are right the antique crowd is getting smaller - antiques used to be valued and sought after but decorating designs change - I guess designers have to re-invent to keep things interesting and to continue making a living and it seems like the younger crowd want newer "modern" designs.

My kids are part of that group - they've grown up with 'antiques' some of which were handed down through the family - however, they are now decorating with less fussy and sleeker designs. My DD has decorated her home with a few things from me but my DIL comes from a family that has a very European Modern style of decorating and wants absolutely nothing that is not sleek and new.
LOL!! I told my DD that she was in trouble because when we die the burden of our estate will be on her shoulders - hopefully she will make sure that everything goes to those who appreciate 'older' things.

Last edited by costumegirl; 01-10-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Repro?! - thinking repro - decals just too "fresh" looking and the wood grain on the top is "new" even if they refinished it - next noticed that it says Shanghai, China on the top

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft...ationFlag=true
Old 01-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Repro?! - thinking repro - decals just too "fresh" looking and the wood grain on the top is "new" even if they refinished it - next noticed that it says Shanghai, China on the top

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft...ationFlag=true
Yep. It's a more common one, I've seen several Butterfly machines over the years. Aside from the decals, the first thing that screams "repro" is the feed dog drop knob on the bed. That's always a tell.

Cari
Old 01-10-2016, 03:11 PM

oops!! Thanks Cari!! didn't even see that! I should have known better
Old 01-10-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
I was sifting through the many ebay listings and some of the local listings here - sadly noticed that many sellers are becoming "chop shops" when it comes to a variety of machines and also the treadle irons - they are salvaging the iron logos, name plates and various other "parts" to make into "industrial art" to sell to the steampunk collectors and for modern 'wall art'. Unfortumately I guess they get more $ by selling the parts than for the original.
like this ?! http://peaberrydesigns.com/eric-nade...tcalm-gallery/ Sad as the decals look better than most of the machines I have.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.