Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A good day for goodies and gadgets >

A good day for goodies and gadgets

A good day for goodies and gadgets

Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Default A good day for goodies and gadgets

Got a call from my LSMG yesterday. He told me he'd found that spring I needed for the 201 cabinet. I said oh goody goody I'll be over tomorrow.
So today we popped in and picked up the spring. The big one in the pic below. This holds up the hinged metal plate to the right of the machine. For some reason someone removed the spring from my cabinet. No idea why.

While there I got a good screw for the feed dogs on my 99K I'm working on. The old screw just shrunk. Yes I know that's not possible but it was tight when I took the part off, but when I put it back in it simply would not hold.

I picked up a couple fish eye lenses for the lights in a couple of my Singer 66s. That was a surprise.

Then I saw a couple boxes of attachments. Started poking through them. I found an underbraider and three darning or embroidery springs with an instruction sheet. The instructions looked familiar and when I got home I dug out our box of accessories. There was the box, the other instructions, the little ring and the button hole guide. So I was able to replace the missing springs in the kit.

Now I have to find Muv's video for the underbraider.

So it was a good day for goodies and gadgets.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails parts-pieces.jpg   univ-sew-mch-attach-1.jpg   univ-sew-mch-attach-2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Wow never have seen those wire notions!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Glad you got that spring! My neighbor no longer had the treadle for parts. Those darning springs just look like something out of a tackle box.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 AM

Those springs tangle up just like things in a tackle box too. But I've got to read the instructions and see what I can do with them.

To bad about the neighbor not having the treadle. Hope he didn't take it to the dump or scrap yard.

Joe
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks so much for posting pictures of the quilting springs. I have one that came in a box of attachments for my Singer 201-2 and couldn't figure out how it fit on my machine. DH thought it went to something else and told me to throw it away.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 AM

KatFish,

If you need a good copy of that instruction sheet just PM me your email addy and I'll email you one.

Joe
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Wow, instructions! I watched Muv's video on the underbraider, it was great. I don't have an underbraider with my treadle, it has the shuttle bobbin. I wish she had videos on some of the other attachments that I do have for my machine. I have the instruction book for my machine but a video would be so much better. Have fun playing with all your new old stuff.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Tartan,

I have a boxed set of Grist attachments for a shuttle machine that came with two front slide plates. One has an underbraider attachment and one is an edge stitcher.
The problem is I have no idea what they fit.

I've also got a box of goodies that have an underbraider and a edge stitcher that clip to the front slide plate, but they don't fit anything I have checked. They might fit my Franklin as that is supposed to be a copy of the Singe 27. I'm gonna have to dig it out and see.

So keep your eyes open, they are out there.

My biggest problem is I've got finish some of the projects that keep distracting me so I can sit down and learn to use these tools.

Joe
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Joe, nice find. I would of never known what those springs are for. Isn't that ruler for the button holes a handy gadget also? I don't sew clothes much any more but isn't it preferred to do your button hole vertical not horizontal as they show. Guess maybe depends on article of clothing, blouces vertical, coats and jackets horizontal. Gee maybe I just learned something.....
Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Lisa,

I asked my wife about the button holes yesterday. The shirt she had on had horizontal holes. Others have vertical. I honestly never had paid attention. I've never made a shirt or jacket or anything with a button hole. But the button holers all seem to make them horizontal. At least their instructions seem to tell you to orient the material that way.

I've never used that little ruler. But it looks like a useful tool. Since I started sewing about 6 months ago I've learned I have too many things to work with (play with) and too little time to do it.

Joe